Trailering...

PRD2BDF

I have a question, I felt it wasn't really tech related so hopefully right place

I drive an unicorn, the 9-5. This means many parts aren't made anymore and one part in particular isn't made. This part is the trailer wiring harness. I'm still able to get a hitch but no wiring.

I'm not savvy at all with wiring so my question is: is it possible to build one and hook it to the lights on the car?

They make kits to splice in no problem. Super simple. Talk to pickups plus and they will hook you up. They wired up my vette for a hitch and did a great job.

This almost every place that has the hitch for sale also sells the kit to splice into a factory harness

That's great to see! I've searched every website specializing in Saab parts and none of them have the wiring. Will pick up and plus do the wiring for me? I don't want to mess around with wiring especially on a Saab

Seems highly "un-worth-it" if it can only tow 1000# / 165# tongue weight (trailer with no brakes)

Guess it depends how much the trailer itself weighs. The standard TSC mower type trailer weighs 5-600# empty. That leaves you 400# of cargo.

Seems highly "un-worth-it" if it can only tow 1000# / 165# tongue weight (trailer with no brakes)

Guess it depends how much the trailer itself weighs. The standard TSC mower type trailer weighs 5-600# empty. That leaves you 400# of cargo.

This. Unless you are using it for a hitch mount bike rack, buy something that can tow.

Tom

There's a 5x8 open trailer that I would like to be able to use for when something can't fit in or on top of the car. I also would like to get a small camper in the futire, a teardrop or the like

Your sol if you think your going to safely tow those with that car.

Buy a beater 800$ truck for that stuff.

What the manual says and what is safe on the road at speed are 2 different things. You're talking about doubling the weight of your vehicle at 3500# you would also need to add a brake box to your list if needed components.

You could probably be alright with a small teardrop camper or a jetski....but I wouldn't buy horses anytime soon.

Very simple surgery to splice in, as others have cautioned make sure of the weight you are going to be pulling behind it. Also keep in mind how the trailer is loaded, and the extra wear and tear on your suspension/braking components. Don't brake expensive unicorn parts! ;)