2017 College Football Thread

o0n8

What does this claim have to do with Urban leaving "toxic" Gainesville?

The program has a horrid culture of kids that push the limits of the law and beyond over stupid shit. It's rough on every coach that coaches there.

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The program has a horrid culture of kids that push the limits of the law and beyond over stupid shit. It's rough on every coach that coaches there.

The "program" is the problem, or is it the kids said coaches choose to recruit? So you're blaming UF's culture? You do realize that UF is one of the top public schools in the country, and their code of conduct is much more strict than most other schools?

The "program" is the problem, or is it the kids said coaches choose to recruit? So you're blaming UF's culture? You do realize that UF is one of the top public schools in the country, and their code of conduct is much more strict than most other schools?

Seeing as how you are looking at 20+ years of problems, it's safe to say it's the culture of the program at this point. Everyone said it was the players Spurrier left, then Zook was the problem, then It was Urban, then it was still Urban's fault after he left when the same issues were happening with guys he didn't recruit. Now all his influence is gone and it's the same old story. The UF Football program has a major culture issue and no one seems to want to address it.

Seeing as how you are looking at 20+ years of problems, it's safe to say it's the culture of the program at this point. Everyone said it was the players Spurrier left, then Zook was the problem, then It was Urban, then it was still Urban's fault after he left when the same issues were happening with guys he didn't recruit. Now all his influence is gone and it's the same old story. The UF Football program has a major culture issue and no one seems to want to address it.

LOL.

News flash: the state of Florida produces some of the most talented high school football prospects in the country. The state also has a higher than normal rate of crime, particularly in many of the lower class areas many of these kids come from. This is why the big three in the state (UF, F$U, and Miami) have more arrests than schools like Indiana or whoever. Everyone in the country (including OSU) wants these talented Florida kids, and the big three in state have a built in recruiting advantage and they get more of them due to proximity, obviously. The difference is that UF actually holds their student athletes accountable for their actions, whereas Miami and especially F$U look the other way; F$U has the Tally PD in their back pocket and their corruption has been proven time and time again.

UF Football does not have a culture problem. Spurrier's kids got in trouble from time to time, but it wasn't anything "toxic" that killed the team. Zook, Muschamp, and McElwain were bad head coaches, plain and simple. When guys like Cam Newton or Janoris Jenkins broke the rules, they got kicked off the team or kicked out of school. Most programs just look the other way. Look at Grant Perry, the Michigan WR who pled guilty to a felony arrest. He didn't get kicked off the team, didn't even get suspended. A felony arrest at UF doesn't get you suspended or kicked off the team, it gets you kicked the fuck out of school. That's the difference between UF and a lot of these other major programs, which is why it's just plain silly to suggest their culture is toxic.

Nobody is blaming Urban for Muschamp/McElwain's recruits getting in trouble. Lastly, Urban didn't leave Gainesville because it was supposedly toxic; I kind of figured OSU was his end goal all along. The timing made sense for him to get out at UF when he did, and also to jump in at OSU when the Tressel stuff happened. That's the bottom line, life goes on.

LOL.

News flash: the state of Florida produces some of the most talented high school football prospects in the country. The state also has a higher than normal rate of crime, particularly in many of the lower class areas many of these kids come from. This is why the big three in the state (UF, F$U, and Miami) have more arrests than schools like Indiana or whoever. Everyone in the country (including OSU) wants these talented Florida kids, and the big three in state have a built in recruiting advantage and they get more of them due to proximity, obviously. The difference is that UF actually holds their student athletes accountable for their actions, whereas Miami and especially F$U look the other way; F$U has the Tally PD in their back pocket and their corruption has been proven time and time again.

UF Football does not have a culture problem. Spurrier's kids got in trouble from time to time, but it wasn't anything "toxic" that killed the team. Zook, Muschamp, and McElwain were bad head coaches, plain and simple. When guys like Cam Newton or Janoris Jenkins broke the rules, they got kicked off the team or kicked out of school. Most programs just look the other way. Look at Grant Perry, the Michigan WR who pled guilty to a felony arrest. He didn't get kicked off the team, didn't even get suspended. A felony arrest at UF doesn't get you suspended or kicked off the team, it gets you kicked the fuck out of school. That's the difference between UF and a lot of these other major programs, which is why it's just plain silly to suggest their culture is toxic.

Nobody is blaming Urban for Muschamp/McElwain's recruits getting in trouble. Lastly, Urban didn't leave Gainesville because it was supposedly toxic; I kind of figured OSU was his end goal all along. The timing made sense for him to get out at UF when he did, and also to jump in at OSU when the Tressel stuff happened. That's the bottom line, life goes on.

You just explained why it IS toxic and tough for a coach to not have a meltdown over it. It's a culture problem, inside AND outside the program. The kids from the state of Florida are high in talent but also high in problems. Im also preeeeetty sure there are beat writers for UF that STILL blame Urban Meyer for UF's problems. You can toot your horn about UF kicking them put when they get into trouble, that doesn't make it any easier or less stressful on a coach.

You just explained why it IS toxic and tough for a coach to not have a meltdown over it. It's a culture problem, inside AND outside the program. The kids from the state of Florida are high in talent but also high in problems. Im also preeeeetty sure there are beat writers for UF that STILL blame Urban Meyer for UF's problems. You can toot your horn about UF kicking them put when they get into trouble, that doesn't make it any easier or less stressful on a coach.

A couple of the UF beat writers are shit stirring twat waffles, plain and simple. No argument here.

Spurrier didn't seem to have any trouble dealing with the stress. Not only was he very successful his whole tenure, he is still worshiped in Gainesville and will forever be looked at as a God by Florida fans. Meyer didn't bolt because there was a "culture problem" IMO. Zook was way under qualified, Muschamp was completely incompetent when it came to offense, and McElwain was arrogant and lazy. I didn't think the offense could get any worse after Muschamp, but McElwain proved me wrong.

All Florida needs is another good coach and they will be back where they need to be. They will have their pick of the litter (likely Scott Frost) because the head football coach at UF is still one of the best jobs in the country. So, yeah, I don't think there's any culture program there whatsoever.

I'm glad we got exploited though. The last thing I wanted was to get back to the playoffs and get completely humiliated again. It's really disheartening to see teams with this much talent (the last 3 years) fail to meet expectations and show up to big games. It has to fall back on coaching. No, I'm not saying Urban is on any sort of hot seat or even a warm seat, but he seems to have lost his edge.

I agree. It's almost like what Alabama did in the first ever playoffs. Poor Saban.

To answer your question, I think we should still expect to win the B1G and play a top 8 team in a NY6 bowl. Although I wouldn't be surprised if we lose 1 more game and then lose our bowl game and finish with 4 losses.

Likely scenario.

How soon til urban leaves? That's his Mo. Has. Really great year or two and then can't get back to that and decides he needs a break

Since you like facts so much, here's some winning percentages:

1 Knute Rockne .8811 Notre Dame

2 Frank Leahy .8643 Notre Dame

3 Urban Meyer .8473 Ohio State

4 Barry Switzer .8368 Oklahoma

5 Tom Osborne .8355 Nebraska

6 Fielding Yost .8333 Michigan

8 Bob Neyland .8287 Tennessee

9 Jim Tressel .8281 Ohio State

10 Bud Wilkinson .8258 Oklahoma

11 Chris Petersen .8247 Boise State

12 Percy Haughton .8171 Harvard

13 Jock Sutherland .8118 Pitt

14 Frank Thomas .8116 Alabama

15 Bob Devaney .8064 Nebraska

16 George Woodruff .8032 Pennsylvania

17 Bob Stoops .7983 Oklahoma

18 Henry Williams .7850 Minnesota

19 Nick Saban .7811 Alabama

20 Fred Folsom .7806 Colorado

21 Bear Bryant .7800 Alabama

22 Bo Schembechler .7752 Michigan

23 Andy Smith .7712 California

24 Dabo Swinney .7698 Clemson

25 Fritz Crisler .7675 Michigan

As far as Gainesville, all I can say is that from my fam who lived there a good portion of their lives, they left gladly. I have no personal experience though.

A couple of the UF beat writers are shit stirring twat waffles, plain and simple. No argument here.

Spurrier didn't seem to have any trouble dealing with the stress. Not only was he very successful his whole tenure, he is still worshiped in Gainesville and will forever be looked at as a God by Florida fans. Meyer didn't bolt because there was a "culture problem" IMO. Zook was way under qualified, Muschamp was completely incompetent when it came to offense, and McElwain was arrogant and lazy. I didn't think the offense could get any worse after Muschamp, but McElwain proved me wrong.

All Florida needs is another good coach and they will be back where they need to be. They will have their pick of the litter (likely Scott Frost) because the head football coach at UF is still one of the best jobs in the country. So, yeah, I don't think there's any culture program there whatsoever.

I mean, coaches can go there and make their millions and last their average 3.75 seasons and get canned but make millions in the process. More power to them.

I mean, coaches can go there and make their millions and last their average 3.75 seasons and get canned but make millions in the process. More power to them.

Bad coaches get canned. Look at Tennessee. I guess Knoxville is toxic too, huh

Yenner stats that really count and to be remembered

Nick saban 5 nc wins and 7 sec titles

Bear Bryant 6 nc wins and 14 sec titles

Urban Meyer 3 nc and 3 conference titles

Jim tressel 1 nc and 6 conference titles.

You can quote and try to make statement by winning percentage but national titles and conference championships mean way more

Urban has also coached 76 less games then saban as a head coach.

Edited by Lauren

You can quote and try to make statement by winning percentage but national titles and conference championships mean way more

So based on stats, 76 less games coached is roughly 5 less seasons. 5 more chances to win conference title and nc. I would understand your case more if urban had coached roughly 5 more seasons than saban. Winning percentage does matter.

So based on stats, 76 less games coached is roughly 5 less seasons. 5 more chances to win conference title and nc. I would understand your case more if urban had coached roughly 5 more seasons than saban. Winning percentage does matter.

Do not logic with Lauren in regards to NCAAF. It doesn't work. He also won't admit defeat. See back a few pages.

You are talking a couple hundreds of a Percent difference. Not a drastic difference with still one coach who has won twice as many NC

3x2=5

Urban is also 13 years younger than Saban. That's not to say Saban could coach till he's 80 and Urban could retire when he's 60, but it's likely Urban will coach more total games as a HC than Saban. Are you gonna knock Urban for that? I think the only fair comparison will be when both coaches are retired and you can make a fair argument for each given all the variables. Right now I'd give the edge to Saban though.

Sooo....Big Ten tougher than SEC. Got it. Thanks.