Hyperloop One

BStowers023

Man I hope this happens

A half-hour ride from Columbus to Chicago is one step closer.

Hyperloop One named a Chicago-Columbus-Pittsburgh route as one of 10 worldwide the startup will seek to develop for its ultra-fast tube transportation system.

The proposal by the Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission had been whittled from 2,600 submissions made since May 2016.

The 488-mile Midwest Connect is one of four U.S. winners – Los Angeles-based Hyperloop One initially planned to select three, but ended up with 10 in the United States, Mexico, Canada, India and United Kingdom.

There's no projected cost or construction time line. The company said it "will commit meaningful business and engineering resources" alongside the winning teams to determine if the projects will be commercially viable.

Hyperloop One told MORPC the project won because of the multi-state public-private coalition involved in the proposal and because of the lack of any direct rail connection between the cities.

The new infrastructure would "create a Midwest mega-region to rival the country’s coastal economic powerhouses," it said.

The company broke speed records with its latest test runs in August in the Nevada desert.

See more about MORPC's proposal here and how the transportation method would work here.

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2017/09/14/hyperloop-one-chooses-chicago-columbus-pittsburgh.html?ana=e_colum_bn&u=11783376504e4d0dc66085d5f07cdb&t=1505403198&j=78821091

I heard about that as well.

As someone who thought the "3C High-speed train" was a stupid idea:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Hub

- Has too many stops and not enough meaningful distances to get true speed

- You're connecting 3 "okay" MidWestern cities that are just as easily accessible by car.

- Why would people go this way anyway? What happens after Cleveland? Buffalo? and what happens after Cincy southbound? Louisville???

...I have to say I think this is a far more viable artery to connect. Chicago is a major midwest business hub, for itself and points west, and Pittsburgh has surged as a solid, new-age industrial/technical city in itself, and could be a great bridge eastward to NYC and DC. There is a lot going on in Columbus, so I would rather be connected East and West rather than north and south by this.

Now...whether this will work is ultimately a wait-and-see option. I can promise that if it is set up, I would certainly get to Chicago more often by this method. I would love to see this happen but it's not my dollar (yet).

That would be so dope.

EDIT: I don't mean to make this political, but I fear that this is unlikely to happen as long as ohio is a red state. :-(

http://media.giphy.com/media/rN56zT7PPl7qM/giphy.gif

I heard about that as well.

As someone who thought the "3C High-speed train" was a stupid idea:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Hub

- Has too many stops and not enough meaningful distances to get true speed

- You're connecting 3 "okay" MidWestern cities that are just as easily accessible by car.

- Why would people go this way anyway? What happens after Cleveland? Buffalo? and what happens after Cincy southbound? Louisville???

...I have to say I think this is a far more viable artery to connect. Chicago is a major midwest business hub, for itself and points west, and Pittsburgh has surged as a solid, new-age industrial/technical city in itself, and could be a great bridge eastward to NYC and DC. There is a lot going on in Columbus, so I would rather be connected East and West rather than north and south by this.

Now...whether this will work is ultimately a wait-and-see option. I can promise that if it is set up, I would certainly get to Chicago more often by this method. I would love to see this happen but it's not my dollar (yet).

But think of how convenient Cedar Point and Kings Island would be...

Depending on how crazy busy these things are, this could make living in Columbus and working in Chicago a viable option and vice versa. Imagine that

:eek:

No doubt...I was pumped when I read this. Went to school in Pittsburgh....would love to be able to visit more often!

I'm sorry.

It would be mach 1+ speeds...That would be tits. Would a sonic boom still boom in a vacuum?

This is supposed to be a tube right? Similar to the ones banks use for their drive thru?

I think it's actually a little bit bigger. I dunno though.

EDIT: I don't mean to make this political, but I fear that this is unlikely to happen as long as ohio is a red state. :-(

3-C was turned down by a GOP Governor. This isn't as political as it is pragmatic.

Plus, Ohio may be red-neck, but C-Bus is far more moderate/progressive of a city. This town would definitely support it.

Also how in the WORLD are they planning on routing something like this? Trying to get Right Of Way for that kind of corridor and distance... gut lawd the red tape and paperwork!

Keep in mind that part of the plan would be to have it elevated/or go underground as needed. ROW is no doubt a challenge, but it's better than rail, where you need to own the land or have 99-year leases on wherever the rail is laid.

I'm more concerned where someone might think its funny to shoot holes in the tube. However, the fact that billions of air miles are flown every year gives me faith that not everyone is going to use it as drunk target practice.

Chicago to Columbus would be a relatively straight, level shot through farmland. Columbus to Pittsburgh introduces some decent elevation changes...as anyone taken 470 through Wheeling, WV??? Will be interesting how they work that all out.

It would be mach 1+ speeds...That would be tits. Would a sonic boom still boom in a vacuum?

If it is a perfect vacuum then no, you need air to create the pressure waves that eventually get compressed and make the boom noise. No air, then no pressure waves.

Right now they are struggling to get their prototype over 200mph, and their target is only 250mph. Not very impressive. Hopefully there's a step beyond their current goals. Otherwise this is another technology that is pitched as something incredible, but isn't all that great once it hits reality.

As for the sonic boom, all I can find says that air pressure doesn't effect the speed of sound. Which means there would be a sonic boom if it exceeded Mach 1, but I don't think it would be very loud.

This is supposed to be a tube right? Similar to the ones banks use for their drive thru?

Somewhat. But the vacuum is being used to reduce air resistance, not to help propulsion. The train is essentially a modified MagLev.

I saw a really good YouTube video that explained why trains died in America. Many of the lines are not owned by one person (multiple owners) and they tend to give priority to cargo over passengers. Delays are very frequent for passenger trains and tend not to be any faster then driving.

The point i'm trying to make is that I want this tech REALLY bad, but PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD make the lines exclusively for passenger trains/cabs. Build the lines to go along 71 and let people watch them go by with the occasional window and generate excitement. Then, the winners could be rent-a-car companies with hubs on both ends so people have transportation at the new location. This could be an AWESOME system. MAKE THIS SHIT HAPPEN!!!

Right now they are struggling to get their prototype over 200mph, and their target is only 250mph. Not very impressive. Hopefully there's a step beyond their current goals. Otherwise this is another technology that is pitched as something incredible, but isn't all that great once it hits reality.

As for the sonic boom, all I can find says that air pressure doesn't effect the speed of sound. Which means there would be a sonic boom if it exceeded Mach 1, but I don't think it would be very loud.

Somewhat. But the vacuum is being used to reduce air resistance, not to help propulsion. The train is essentially a modified MagLev.

The boom itself is caused by the rapid change in air pressure from forcing an object speeding at Mach 1 through it. If you don't have air pressure then there is nothing to cause the boom. Sound will still travel at its normal rate. By the way, the sonic boom is continuous, we tend to think of it as a single crack because most times it is expirenced from a stationary position.

If they do a tube, it'll be underground most likely. MUCH easier to get right-of-way from Bub the farmer if he doesn't have to worry about the impact it has on his fields. And it'd eliminate a LOT of bridges along the way.

I could see this happening in about 20ish years if they get the costs and routing right. Right now, gas is cheap enough that the apparent disadvantages of point-to-point mass transit outweigh the benefits.

If they do a tube, it'll be underground most likely. MUCH easier to get right-of-way from Bub the farmer if he doesn't have to worry about the impact it has on his fields. And it'd eliminate a LOT of bridges along the way.

I could see this happening in about 20ish years if they get the costs and routing right. Right now, gas is cheap enough that the apparent disadvantages of point-to-point mass transit outweigh the benefits.

Elon started the Boring Company, and is essentially a tunnel boring machine for this exact purpose