Hyperloop One

BStowers023

I just need one of these from DFW to Columbus so I can come back and visit my OH peeps more than once a year.

Keep yer Texas in TEXAS, hombre. We need a TSA filter between us and the hurricaney craziness of the Durty South. :p Plus, srsly doe, I'm not sure how Hyperloop would be influenced by the Mississippi River...

I do wonder - if you see the video on their Hyperloop One website - about how much electricity is needed to create the vacuum needed downstream in the pipes. I notice the sultry British woman's voice says the "car" needs very little electricity to propel it to 670mph, but it seems like the supporting systems will all need a HUGE amount of electricity! :lol:

This is very exciting, considering that the greatest resource this system will consume - electricity - is the one renewable resource that Elon has done more to make commercially viable in creation, use, and sustainability than anyone else in decades.

Oh, yes...I'm also curious what the tubes will be constructed with, since airplane fuselages go through thousands of pressurization cycles but eventually succumb to metal fatigue. I know that they are made out of thin aluminum for lightness and rigidity, but would a composite or concrete Hyperloop tube survive decades of use? Hundreds of thousands of vacuum/pressure cycles?

Once Hyperloop is opened, anyone want to do a Kickstarter to put a Yugo in one from Chicago to Columbus? 670mph, the fastest a Yugo has ever gone before? :gabe:

Edited by zeitgeist57

• 1 month later...
Keep yer Texas in TEXAS, hombre. We need a TSA filter between us and the hurricaney craziness of the Durty South. :p Plus, srsly doe, I'm not sure how Hyperloop would be influenced by the Mississippi River...

I do wonder - if you see the video on their Hyperloop One website - about how much electricity is needed to create the vacuum needed downstream in the pipes. I notice the sultry British woman's voice says the "car" needs very little electricity to propel it to 670mph, but it seems like the supporting systems will all need a HUGE amount of electricity! :lol:

This is very exciting, considering that the greatest resource this system will consume - electricity - is the one renewable resource that Elon has done more to make commercially viable in creation, use, and sustainability than anyone else in decades.

Oh, yes...I'm also curious what the tubes will be constructed with, since airplane fuselages go through thousands of pressurization cycles but eventually succumb to metal fatigue. I know that they are made out of thin aluminum for lightness and rigidity, but would a composite or concrete Hyperloop tube survive decades of use? Hundreds of thousands of vacuum/pressure cycles?

Once Hyperloop is opened, anyone want to do a Kickstarter to put a Yugo in one from Chicago to Columbus? 670mph, the fastest a Yugo has ever gone before? :gabe:

I would guess the plan is to only pull the vacuum once and re-pressurizing would be a big deal.

To get the cars into and out of the loop they would use airlocks which just leaves a small volume to evacuate.

and you're going to pay to commute to chicago on a daily basis? good luck

Possibly. I mean, it MIGHT be feasible. It's not all that different from folks I've talked to that drive to Columbus from Portsmouth or even WV for work.

Sure, there's a MASSIVE cost in the travel, but when the only jobs down there pay min wage and offer no perks or bene's, landing a job in Columbus that pays double, triple, etc. makes it worthwhile to them.

No, I wouldn't travel that far, but some do. Half hour to Chicago where I could get paid triple or whatever? I'd look into it.