1993 Mazda RX-7 R1

zeitgeist57

A little bit of a different spin on a FS thread: Just got this email from my uncle who lives in Philadelphia. Would greatly appreciate CR's knowledge on this one.

"Also wondered if you would have any thoughts or ideas on the proper price, how to get the best price, or if any of your car buds might be interested in a special car. My childhood friend is a doctor that takes meticulous care of all his stuff. ( I would buy a used car from this man.) He has a 1993 Mazda Rx7. Its the R1 (racing) package in yellow. Supposedly only 350 were made and only made in that one year. It has about 60K. Rotary engine and reportedly is really quick. Located in CT. Let me know if you have any thoughts (I suggested going through the Mazda owners club) or know anyone that might be interested."

Gonna need pics and more details to really narrow it down. The interior condition specifically will drive interest/price for knowledgeable buyers. The CYM color is take it or leave it. Some like and some don't. They do look good when clean and they are a rare option.

I'm going to the race track this weekend but let me know if you want me to call you on one of my drives home and talk your face off about variables to FD values.

Edited by Smokey
Autocorrect

From my uncle, after a few of you texted me...

"Thanks. Don't think I m going to be able to get the Vin since the car is in ct and the owner is in Wisconsin for a while. If you look at Craigslist in nyc there are 2 listed. This looks like one of them. You don't have to put any real time in on this but let me know if you run across anyone that would be interested. I have a feeling that he's going to want top dollar for a car in really fine condition. Thanks again."

i have owned 3 FD's including RHD models and they are still one of the best looking cars ever produced and are a blast to drive. I would love to own a LSX FD.

as far as 30K goes, FD's seem to have peaked on value (along with other 90's Japanese cars) he may have a hard time getting that much, as Steve-O stated there are many show cars and highly modified cars that dont sell for that much. It wish him the best of luck and share an affinity for them.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Just finished watching the I Diana win their 22th consecutive...this deal is no skin off my back, and I appreciate everyone's input. If I hear anything else from my uncle or the seller, I'll let you guys know in this FS thread.

Have you gone to https://www.rx7club.com and set up a account yet,? I think you would get better exposure.

You have a CYM color and R1 package that means stiffened suspension and more track focused ect.so they are rare and more desirable.

He will eventually get that price if everything is in working order and minty but I see more go for mid to low 20,s.

Fritz has a good handle on what these cars are worth...

Short

I know we've all talked endlessly about the value of these cars but a practical perspective is ripe or timely because the majority of the high priced FDs (prices north of 25k) I see for sale are not selling.

I've bought and sold hundreds of these cars so it's really easy for me to wax on and on about it.

The biggest reason I see for the prices hitting a wall is the availability of good cars priced 20k and below. When I say good I just mean they are straight, no rust, decent interior etc...

Long

https://www.rx7club.com/3rd-gen-general-discussion-322/how-value-your-fd-why-today-its-difficult-sell-25k-more-1111539/

Edited by carl

One of my only automotive regrets was NOT buying this car-

https://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=18048.msg238054#msg238054

http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=18047.0

It was for sale when I was on the way to pick up LS JUAN, and only an hour away from where Juan was. i wanted a project- I wanted it to be cheap, and I wanted to build the car myself- however-I knew this was a deal. that being said, I still didn't want to spend 15k. Hindsight always being 20/20, I am sure I could have cleaned that car up and got 20k plus whenever I wanted to sell it.

as far as 30K goes, FD's seem to have peaked on value (along with other 90's Japanese cars) he may have a hard time getting that much

I don't have a huge amount of experience with RX-7's, but I don't think it's peaked honestly. I feel the peak would be in the next 20 years or so. I mean even looking at this thread there are 5+ people who all want to own one eventually. Once the kids born from 1980-1995 are in their 40s and 50s, I feel that will be the peak. Those people who always dreamed of owning or restoring one will be able to afford it.

Prices on Japanese cars from the 70s-80s have skyrocketed just in the last 14 years I've been into them. Back in 03 you could get an AE86 GTS Corolla for less than $1500. Now, a decent condition one is going for $6k+. Older Corolla's from the 70s are going for $15-20K now as well.