3-car deal for free - shipping, is it worth it?

zeitgeist57

Saturday night at an OSU Buckeyes party, I was talking with a good friend whose estranged father passed away earler this year, leaving some junk that his cray-cray GF is wanting him to get rid of. He brought it up because his dad had a mid-90s, magenta-fantastic Flareside F-150 with only 40k miles on it but rusty, along with two '90s Ford Festivas (one a beater DD, the other a parts car).

He is NOT a car guy, and just wants them gone so he can settle with probate. He said I could have all three for $1 each. Of course, in a partially inebriated state I happily agreed.

Now, I'm not so sure. :lol: Would anyone know how much it is to ship 3 non-operating cars from Van Wert-area to Columbus? Does anyone honestly care about old Festivas anyway? The F-150 needs a brake line but It's a given that I want the F-150 if only for parts, let alone to fix up and have/sell another truck. I'm just wondering if all of this is worth the effort to have at least 2 more cars I really don't need.

He's going to get back to me in the coming weeks as they want to settle ASAP. As I get older I just wonder if Festiva's are worth the effort to fix up to sell, or transport them to my control for eventual scrapping.

I'll give you $2 and a share of shipping for the DD Festiva. I would estimate shipping 3 vehicles that distance to run you in the $4-$600 range.

A single rig would probably save money. The distance isn't bad. The cost is probably going to be in hooking up 3 dead cars.

Someone suggested uShip.com for a quote - dunno if I want to be spammed to death just yet. Anyone that knows some good ol' Ohio boys with a diesel dually and 5th wheel car carrier...

Again, I'm not firm on details, but will consult CR if this deal starts to flesh out.

here is what you do:

Find a local salvage yard in Van Wert that will pay you literally anything for the festivas. There are two so it shouldn't be difficult.

Drive up with borrowed truck and trailer, take festivas to junkyard one at a time. get paid.

go back, put f150 on trailer, drive home. Flip f150 to me for cheap.

Profit.

The Festivas are junk. you can buy a running one on CL for a couple hundred bucks. Nobody wants it and you shouldn't waste your time with trying to move it to your house. Esp if there are going to be title problems in dealing with a deceased's estate.

here is what you do:

Find a local salvage yard in Van Wert that will pay you literally anything for the festivas. There are two so it shouldn't be difficult.

Drive up with borrowed truck and trailer, take festivas to junkyard one at a time. get paid.

Profit.

The Festivas are junk. you can buy a running one on CL for a couple hundred bucks. Nobody wants it and you shouldn't waste your time with trying to move it to your house. Esp if there are going to be title problems in dealing with a deceased's estate.

^ This :thumbup:

here is what you do:

Profit.

Correction: if the Festiva is close to running condition I would be interested. I could have a lot of fun driving that roller skate to its death during the winter months.

Someone suggested uShip.com for a quote - dunno if I want to be spammed to death just yet. Anyone that knows some good ol' Ohio boys with a diesel dually and 5th wheel car carrier...

Again, I'm not firm on details, but will consult CR if this deal starts to flesh out.

Friend did the uship thing. They shipped a SRT Jeep from Phoenix to Columbus with no issues. Saved a lot of money too.

Sounds like you found yourself an AutoX platform for next year Clay ;) Put the running one on the ground, cannibalize whatever parts you need and crush the rest. Smiles to be had for tossing it 'round some cones far outweigh the $150 you'll get in crush value for the two cars combined.