Tag and Release...

Geeto67

https://jalopnik.com/police-catch-suspect-after-firing-gps-dart-from-cruiser-1818946933

bout a year ago, a sheriff’s office in Ohio purchased some GPS darts, which look like something out of a James Bond movie. Attached to the front of a cruiser’s grille, a dart is fired onto the rear of a car the cruiser is pursuing, allowing police to track the car from distance. On Monday, for the first time, a Lucas County sheriff deputy used one.

discuss.

Don't do incriminating shit then you have nothing to worry about. Do you really think that they actually have the time and man power to track every suspecting vehicles that come across their path? They can't even track the criminals that they're supposed to track, like the one with ankle bracelets. Good luck tracking my bicycle

Don't do incriminating shit then you have nothing to worry about. Do you really think that they actually have the time and man power to track every suspecting vehicles that come across their path? They can't even track the criminals that they're supposed to track, like the one with ankle bracelets. Good luck tracking my bicycle

First of this isn't about whether you are doing incriminating shit or not. Right now this is a pretty specific set of circumstances under which they would use this: high speed pursuit. If they are using it, they are tracking it because it is an "in the moment" system. The issue that comes to mind is, do they lose visual sight of the vehicle or not? and if so, how far a following distance? Would they give enough of a lead time for someone to stop, remove it from the car, stick it on another car of the same color, and drive off? And if not, how do you prove that? How do you maintain consistency? Anything that adds to the uncertainty that you have the right person is problematic.

The second concern I would have is regarding misuse by individual officers (oversight) and who keep track of that. So far in it's limited parameters there doesn't seem to be a 4th amendment concern, but who's keeping an eye on those authorized to use them to make sure some dipshit doesn't take a dart home to use to track his ex-wife?

I also wonder how close you have to be for this to be effective and whether that following distance opens the officer up to a different kind of danger.

The Sheriff said one of his deputies caught [the suspect, John Bartlett] dumpster diving and asked him to leave. But rather than leave, he...got in his car and began to drive off.

:wtf: He left. He just displayed his firearm that he was proud of first. Problem solved.

Redneck beat me to it and I agree with Geeto about sketchy cops misusing this, but that can be said for many different scenarios in many different professions. Most other professions likely wouldn't have this type of power to abuse though.

but who's keeping an eye on those authorized to use them to make sure some dipshit doesn't take a dart home to use to track his ex-wife?

In addition to being creepy, there are civil cases that sort of behavior opens a person up to, as well as misuse of police property.

Scumbags gon' scumbag.