People told me the south is different, but WOW

Tractor

So we moved to South Carolina a few years ago. It wasn't until will tried to build a house that I truly found out how different the business world here is. The contractors simply don't care like they do in the North. They have no trouble telling you, "I'll be there tomorrow" every day for several weeks. I was in a situation with a home builder where they used their people so I couldn't just fire them and get new ones or I would have after a couple days of that BS. Tooks us months to get into our house. This wasn't just one contractor, this was every one of the contractors and every one else involved, electric company, sewer and water, the zoning people.

Customer service people here are amazing too when calling about this crap.

Also everyone you meet here from the North has the same experiences and you don't even have to mention the difference, it will come up in the conversation. "your in the south now" is a sorta northern "in joke".

We did find out that if you find a good guy that moved from the north you share his info with everyone. Its great to be among these incompetents when your building a business because any good service is better than they get here.

Pretty much my experience here in Conway SC. I just had two contractors quote me on doing a vinyl privacy fence (HOA regulations). One took almost 4 months to get back to me with just the price.

My house building experience was the same way. They wanted $100/window for screens, an extra $600 for a garage door opener, gutters are an add on here in most of the developments I looked at.

I just end up doing everything myself, it's definitely a culture difference. Everything moves slower here

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Hey, you still here? I'm up in the ghetto off SR 90 towards Longs LOL. Once I tell people where I live I've had several locals say things like "have you seen that area yet or are you just building a house there". Then they proceed to tell me, "thats where black people live".

To be honest I've moved a number of times in my life, several times around Ohio and I've never been welcomed by so many nice people anywhere, especially in the "white" communities. Most times I've usually only met one neighbor for a moment and then short interactions here and there. Here I've met the whole neighborhood with hugs and welcomes from people who've lived here 90 years.

Hey, you still here? I'm up in the ghetto off SR 90 towards Longs LOL. Once I tell people where I live I've had several locals say things like "have you seen that area yet or are you just building a house there". Then they proceed to tell me, "thats where black people live".

To be honest I've moved a number of times in my life, several times around Ohio and I've never been welcomed by so many nice people anywhere, especially in the "white" communities. Most times I've usually only met one neighbor for a moment and then short interactions here and there. Here I've met the whole neighborhood with hugs and welcomes from people who've lived here 90 years.

Yeah..... I grew up on the west side of Columbus, the worst parts of town here are like the Ritz Carlton compares to the hilltop. I'm in Conway right off of 501, it's a blast when tourist traffic starts rolling in...

From my time in FL, I can tell you that warmer weather year-round relaxes people.

SCENARIO: You'll talk to your buddy about going out on the boat this weekend. Come Friday, your buddy says he can't make it this weekend and we'll have to reschedule. Thought processes go as follows:

In OH: "Man, how many good weekends do we have left this season?? We need to get together before Labor Day, it'll start getting colder, maybe it'll stay warm but will I need to put the boat in storage? Maybe we can stretch the season out. Uh oh, what if the kids' sports kick in? Man, why do I even have this boat if I never get to use it!"

In FL: "No problem! We can always do it another weekend." :cool:

Knowing that you never have a "down season" for construction/outdoor sports/hobbies is a really nice thing: there's ALWAYS "next weekend"...

The funny thing about being around retirees in FL was this same, stressed-out, Northern-scheduled mindset: Snowbirds get to FL around Thanksgiving and they have seemingly everything already scheduled. They can't make it this weekend because they're seeing so-and-so, then next weekend they have XXXX family coming in from Illinois to stay with them, then they have their friends they get with every Tuesday, and this is every Wednesday....... it's stressful just hearing them talk about it! Also depressing to think that, for someone in their 70s, how many more winters did they have in FL? They were stressing their lives away right to the grave, even surrounded by a beautiful and incredibly relaxing environment.

Yessah here in da low country things move a little slowa. Put ya feet up and sip some sweet tea with a bucket uh crawfish and enjoy the sunset work is always there but the sunset and crawfish are fleeting.

Bahahahaha

Yeah I lived there for two years while still doing architectural work for my firm in Ohio. Tried like hell to get connected with other firms in the south but its a Good 'ol boys party there and I don't think they cared for some Yankee who would actually get shit done.

Our CTO was born on a farm in Oklahoma, spent years raising cattle before going into the Navy. He's very much a "it'll be there tomorrow" kinda guy which is very strange in the tech world. He is insanely bright and always gets it done in time, if not right away.

I've been out of the bad weather for four years and I'm just getting over the feeling that comes in fall that I have to winterize stuff like check antifreeze.

I miss Columbus as it's an awesome city as cities go but myrtle beach gives me a lot of that with so much to do even outside the tourist stuff.

My experience in Charlotte echoes yours.

I tried having a fully custom one off home built, and couldn't get anywhere. Each tiny little step would take weeks, and absolutely zero care on their end with obtaining new business. This was with multiple firms.

I've had this issue over and over again, with anything service based.

These Jesus preaching mouth breathers do move at a snails pace, and have no motivation past what they need to just survive it seems.

My favorite one was the code inspector. The guy literally came out all 5 days of the week and failed the house on something different each day. The last straw was when he failed the electric ground going into the meter box and then the next day failed the ground wire going up the pole 3 inches from it. I called the department director and complained that their guy could have mentioned that the previous day since the wires run together. It passed the next day, LOL.

My experience in Charlotte echoes yours.

I tried having a fully custom one off home built, and couldn't get anywhere. Each tiny little step would take weeks, and absolutely zero care on their end with obtaining new business. This was with multiple firms.

I've had this issue over and over again, with anything service based.

These Jesus preaching mouth breathers do move at a snails pace, and have no motivation past what they need to just survive it seems.

I had the lawn guy bust my big glass door pane last year. He sent me to his buddy who owns the only glass shop in my direct area. Guy working the glass counter is probably in his 80s and as eating an apple when i walked in. Made me wait 15 minutes while he finished his apple before doing a quote. I got a laugh out of it.

First time in myrtel beach for vacation, never going back. I mean fuck, how long does it take to bag groceries?

Probably 5 or 6 big gulps of sweet tea if you measured it in gulp time I'd reckon

Years ago my brother and I visited my mom in Birmingham Alabama when she was doing contract work for a bank down there (BBVA i think?) I remember her complaining that, "we can't find anyone who wants to work, we're offering 25$/hour for simple testing jobs that anyone can do and no ones wants to do them."

She continued saying how its everyone, its a complete different culture. I thought she was just annoyed until we went out to run errands and get lunch. Took us an hour just to pick up a piece of furniture. Not to shop, not to buy, just to pick up a piece that was already purchased and waiting for us at the store.

Absolutely no one is in a rush to do ANYTHING.

At the zoning office everyone there is past retirement age for sure and hunt and peck typing. I thought I was in the Zootopia scene where they are being waited on by a sloth at the DMV. I finally get to the counter and they have me wait on some guy in the back. He calls me back to his office and he does the hunt and peck thing too. I was so wanting to just do it for them.