Hemi Powered Supra

wagner

http://www.speednik.com/files/2017/11/the-money-pit-duy-buis-hemi-powered-supra-is-coming-to-no-prep-0011.jpg

WHAT....THA.....EFF......

Hey, Wags...Looking at the tires: why does it look like they have the contact patch so far inward, relative to the quarter-panel openings? Seems like a lot of rubber without much in the way of rear width.

Interesting, dude just wants to go faster. Makes you wonder if the 2jz was clapped out or if he was just wanting to avoid it blowing itself up on the track.

Running the 2JZ at that power level just takes a lot more work than running the BAE Hemi. They aren't even pushing that Hemi really and they don't want to deal with the maintenance of keeping that 2JZ alive at that level.

At the World Cup soooo many of those 2JZ cars were quick and fast, but also had their fair share of issues. Some of those things were just blowing smoke like mad at the top end.

Clay, I'm guessing they set this car up to run both big and small tires, so when the small tires are on there they look odd.

Rumor I heard is that WELD is bringing a wheel to market that has the offset needed to fill the wheel well out better when it's setup for big tires but your running a smaller tire.

Interesting, dude just wants to go faster. Makes you wonder if the 2jz was clapped out or if he was just wanting to avoid it blowing itself up on the track.

What Wags said. With the bigger motor you don't need to push it that hard. I could run a small block in my dragster and make the same amount of power, but I'd be pushing the motor a LOT harder which makes for more maintenance, more breakage, etc. 750 HP at the flywheel from a 500+ inch motor really isn't stressing anything very much. At some point I might go for a more aggressive cam and see how hard it would be to push mine up to 1000 HP, but the car is plenty fun at the 750 it is now.

So... Import racer apparently just decided to Muscle Car his Import body? Basically do all the things the 'merican fans have been doing since the 60s/70s just with a more JDM Yo! bodystyle wrapped around it?

Bleh

He has (2) other 2JZ powered cars as well and learned his limit with the 240.

One is a 98 Quicksilver Supra Auto built 3.0L w/7675 on it and other is his '95 240 "white rice" 3.0L billet block running an 8685 I believe. The latter is a drag car is as well and just went 6.97 in the 1/4 at World Cup finals.

One is a 98 Quicksilver Supra Auto built 3.0L w/7675 on it and other is his '95 240 "white rice" 3.0L billet block running an 8685 I believe. The latter is a drag car is as well and just went 6.97 in the 1/4 at World Cup finals.

Bingo. White Rice is a very impressive car, but doing high-level maintenance just sucks.

The Pro Line Racing motors still need a certain level and it's not uncommon to see those guys doing main bearings between rounds when it's time.

Spinning a BAE Hemi to only the 2,000 horsepower range is child's play for that motor.

Right right I get that but what's the difference between doing this in a "Supra" and doing it in a "Challenger" aside from the shell? There's not really any Supra left to it when you've replaced the engine/transmission/rear end with 'Merica parts, and Motec is providing all the wiring/computers/gadgets. Kinda like the Camry in NASCAR... exactly how much is still Toyota?

Right right I get that but what's the difference between doing this in a "Supra" and doing it in a "Challenger" aside from the shell? There's not really any Supra left to it when you've replaced the engine/transmission/rear end with 'Merica parts, and Motec is providing all the wiring/computers/gadgets. Kinda like the Camry in NASCAR... exactly how much is still Toyota?

yep

White Rice was on a promod 94 at WCF IIRC. It's a wild car, and makes the prospect of a billet block that much more appealing.

I believe the billet block is a debate Jamie’s car was trying to decide because they don’t have stock mounts on them so you are forced to use plates

2jz billet wet blocks should be available soon. IIRC it should have stock mounting as well too.

things like this have been done for ages. Before this supra it was Austins, Anglias, Healys, MGs, Fiat Topolinos, etc.....

If you are looking for the advantage in the body, just off the top of my head it's probably going to be found in size, packaging, aerodynamics. A MK 4 supra has a drag co-efficient of .34, a brand new challenger has a drag coefficient of .40, there aren't any published numbers for a 1970 challenger but estimates put the drag co-efficient somewhere around .5 (a 1969 charger has a CD of .5 and the 1969 charger daytona wing car has a CD of about .29 for comparison).

People went to old brit cars, jeeps, a and stuffed hemi's and BBC's in them because they they had short wheel bases, lighter weight, and more efficient packaging. While this guy probably chose a MK4 supra because it was he was familiar with it's pretty fair to say he enjoys all those benefits. A unibody supra is going to have a thinner panel thickness in all the metal and 30+ years of engineering evolution in how to make the structure rigid (even if you stick a massive tube frame and carbon fibre floor in the middle of it) when compared to a unibody 1970 challenger. A 2017 challenger would probably have the same panel thickness as the supra but there is just more sheetmetal because the thing is almost twice the supra's size.