Tesla updates the roadster, 1.9 sec to 100km/h, 8.9sec quarter mile.

SpaceGhost

250+ mph top speed, and not cheap.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a13792609/tesla-roadster-photos-info/

Fucking ads are getting out of hand on these sites, don’t bother clicking the link, here is what the article should look like.

The New Tesla Roadster Will Be the Quickest Road Car Ever

c064fd46fabdfa3b96d313e57cc2b7b3.jpg

Elon Musk says his new Roadster will hit 60 mph in 1.9 seconds, run the quarter mile in 8.9, and have a top speed of more than 250 mph. Okay then, says the world.

TESLA

BY MÁTÉ PETRÁNY NOV 17, 2017

Giving humanity an electric semi truck sure is exciting, but not nearly as exciting as announcing the world's quickest road car. Elon Musk knows this well, so while launching Tesla's long-awaited Semi, he also decided to show off the brand new Roadster. And while there may be a few question marks hanging above Tesla's production lines at the moment, the sports car's numbers are truly staggering. No wonder, since Musk wants the Roadster to serve as the final nail in the coffin for internal combustion vehicles.

55e5f32326b34a7730969699fc783b4e.jpg

Make no mistake, this will be a $200,000+ vehicle. For that, customers are promised to get a 2+2 with extremely small rear seats, as well as a 200 kWh battery pack granting it a whopping 620 mile range.

Of course that range will drop significantly once you put Musk's claimed performance figures to the test, which include a 0-60 mph sprint in 1.9 seconds, a 100 mph photo opportunity after 4.2 seconds, and a quarter mile time of 8.9 seconds. Tesla's sports car is also supposed to hit a top speed of "over 250 miles per hour," propelled by almost 7400 lb-ft of torque.

65a8c8210ce0df958e8f219406b6ef85.jpg

To keep it under control at those speeds, the Roadster will have an active rear wing, as well as an aggressive diffuser made of carbon fiber. The show car also features LED lights, a transparent removable roof panel, and a futuristic steering wheel straight out of Knight Rider

0610715610789a00c0669b615a2f8720.jpg

TESLA

193c014699f152179a092f345d516766.jpg

If you strongly believe that Tesla can sort out its production issues by then, get ready for a base price starting at $200,000, with a $50,000 reservation required. Of course you can go even further, as Tesla will offer a "Roadster Founders Series," which will be a $250,000

e3ee19a031d36823f67e28e3c9a96900.jpg

Needless to say, Tesla is not the only one trying to spearhead the electric sports car moment. McLaren is certainly cooking up something rapid, the entire VW Group is hard at work through Porsche and Lamborghini, not to mention Jaguar and Aston Martin with the backing of Williams Advanced Engineering. Meanwhile, companies like Rimac push the envelope even further, selling their tech to whoever is interested around the globe.

Such a rate of progress was never seen before, which means Tesla will have a much harder time wowing us in the next decade. But we sure like to see them trying.

a843836a68e0fc5eea91141d30a7e9c6.jpg

TESLA

79f8ca6840e07c219c66be6bfa96aba4.jpg

TESLA

2efaa8376c9ad9a1ce6f0f07cfedc1dd.jpg

TESLA

7e536dde626753006f51b9d6546c799c.jpg

TESLA

7e281a14f02bb00d56d991919eea7813.jpg

TESLA

f7500997c89b9c8bd067ac2f34c2c79f.jpg

Edited by Benjamin

Beat me to it. Literally logged on to post this lol.

That's fucking nuts. I really want to ride in one just to feel what it's like to be in an 8 second car that doesn't make noise.

I would say $200,000 seems steep, but for what you're getting, not really.

Am I the only one starting to wonder why we need cars like this? I don't mean electric, I mean speed wise. I like fast cars as much as the next guy, but 1.9 seconds to 60, there are people who would literally pass out. 8 second quarter mile, what the fuck? It's awesome if you're talking about race cars, but some half wit with too much money will own this. There should be some good stories if these make it to the street.

I get that it's an awesome car, and really shows off Tesla's tech, just wow.

Am I the only one starting to wonder why we need cars like this? I don't mean electric, I mean speed wise. I like fast cars as much as the next guy, but 1.9 seconds to 60, there are people who would literally pass out. 8 second quarter mile, what the fuck? It's awesome if you're talking about race cars, but some half wit with too much money will own this. There should be some good stories if these make it to the street.

Need isn't even in the same ballpark as this type of car. If we only ever built cars to meet our needs the auto industry would be pretty damn boring. For that matter nobody "needs" a corvette. It's a want, not a need. Even at $200k per they will sell all of these that they make. There are folks out there that will buy them regardless of the price.

It's odd, but this crosses into the other thread we were talking about. I don't need a dragster, I don't need to brew my own beer, or build my own furniture. My life won't end without those things. But in a way I do "need" them. Without those things in my life it's pretty damn boring. I'd save a shit ton of money, but my existence would be pretty bland. It's about entertainment, setting goals, meeting challenges, and having fun.

For the people with that kind of money, this is the kind of thing that makes their lives more interesting. I certainly can't play in those circles, but some people can. More power to them. Will some jackass wrap one around a telephone pole 1/2 mile down the road from the dealership? Maybe, but it's his to do with what he pleases. He'll have to deal with the consequences of his decision. I honestly hope nobody gets hurt, but we can't regulate dumb.

I also think this about Hellcats and Demons and ZR1's. i mean really who needs 700+ HP in a street car? also i think there needs to be some sort of training or license course so people don't just get in and wreck the shit out of themselves or someone else. Just my .02

That's fucking nuts. I really want to ride in one just to feel what it's like to be in an 8 second car that doesn't make noise.

I drove the old tesla roadster for an article I wrote years ago and while it isn't an 8 second car it was still pretty darn quick (0-60 in 3.7 seconds). Just because the engine isn't making noise don't think the car is "quiet". Wind noise, tire noise, and motor noise are all present. At 100mph the wind noise was loud considering the car had no insulation, if it had an engine I don't think it would have added any noise to it.

In terms of power delivery it felt just like every single high HP american v8 I have ever ridden in but really came closest to my GTO and my neighbor's old '70 LS6 454 chevelle - tons of torque all from idle pushing you forward and then tapering off as you get into higher speeds. The car I drove was a preproduction unit and didn't have the TC sorted at the time so it was possible to spin the tires on for a little bit it as well which was fun. Compared to some of the newer teslas the old roadster is kind of crude because it doesn't have different modes and was really just an all or noting proposition based off a lotus. I barely fit in the thing or the lotus it was based off of and was happy that there wasn't a clutch pedal since that had been a pain in the elise as well (my left knee hit the back of the steering wheel before fully out).

This new roadster is a good move for tesla. It shows a commitment to performance with new technology.

I also think this about Hellcats and Demons and ZR1's. i mean really who needs 700+ HP in a street car? also i think there needs to be some sort of training or license course so people don't just get in and wreck the shit out of themselves or someone else. Just my .02

This is along my thinking, not that I don't think it wouldn't be fun, but someone who has no experience with a fast car jumps in something like this and gets hurt.

Mirrors can be replaced with cameras but I'm not sure if this prototype has them. The wiper.....they need to address that for sure and tuck it under the hood.

Looks like the hood runs right up against the windshield. I don't see the normal gap where you can hide a wiper and arm. I assume for aerodynamics. I'd probably just get rid of it and Rain-X the shit out the glass.

what hood? the whole front end looks like one piece with no lid. It's basically a monocoque body/chassis (like an old porsche 356) with no frunk. Come to think of it I don't see a single body panel line except for the doors, so the only storage may be those +2 seats in back.

If this thing really is a monocoque body/chassis that would be really cool. I can't remember the last new car where the whole body including the front fenders was structural.

Mono-wiper is awesome. I am only disappointed that it isn't a straight arm so it can be set straight up against the windshield.

Needs to have a blade that runs a pillar to a pillar, rests at the bottom of the windshield and would run up and down on channels in the a pillar when turned on. Could have an air deflector over top of it to remain aerodynamic.