Classic Volvo Engine Swaps

99StockGT

Now I'll be the first to admit, I should have gotten to my 122S project car this year but I've had a lot on my plate. The idea of swapping out the Volve B18 to something slightly more meaty or going resto mod on it made me pause just as things started to get interesting. But!

This, is certainly not something I had ever imagined doing!

http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/16234/this-bizarre-volvo-pv544-has-a-38-8-liter-diesel-v-12

Interesting thread, I have a non classic Volvo I am planning a engine swap. Unfortunately this is a front wheel drive 97 850 we bought new needs a new engine at 225k miles. If it was rear drive it would swapped with some sort of v8.

Lol never seen that before, but perfect usage of a video sir!

Unfortunately in the world of FWD volvo swaps you don't really have many exciting options. Fortunately the Swedes stuck to RWD on their sedan platforms for a long period of their history so there's lots of options for those of us going that route.

The 122s runs, but the twin carb'ed B18 that it came with and gearing isn't exactly something that's super happy about 70mph cruising. Though not quite a "big" surge in popularity there are more than a few out there running very interesting engine/suspension setups. None quite so nuts as nearly 40 liters of diesel fury, but interesting.

The v8 with straight pipes is one of the most surprisingly sexy sounds a man can hear. Keep in mind, the Volvo V8 was/is the engine of choice for the Noble cars. The issue on the V8 would be fender to fender fitment though, not sure there's enough room to make it happen. However, a turbo I5... now THAT would fit :)

Edit: The stupid things we think of