Good "work boots"

jerrodh

There is a shop between Logan and Lancaster that sells factory second Redwings. I don't think it's the official outlet store, but they have a shit ton of boots. It's in the fleemarket strip "mall" on 33 at Rockbridge. They don't always have every style, color, etc... Anyhow, they are roughly 1/2 price for new boots that most likely have a nick in the leather or some other cosmetic flaw. It's been a while since I've been in there, but the last time I went it was worth the trip.

http://www.hockinghillsmarket.com/biz.html#prettyPhoto

It's the "Boot shop outlet" 740-385-2728

Can vouch. Lived about 5-10 mins from there for 5 years. Forgot about that place. Good suggestion.

Pro tip: If you go there head an extra 5 mins down 33 to Millstone BBQ.

I had Keens that I liked a lot also. Always comfy and supportive. My complaints were the slightly heavy steel toe (which a composite to option would resolve) and the fact that their waterproof boots would make my feet sweat BADLY. Like trenchfoot by day's end..... They were no joke stand in 6 inches of water waterproof though, so there's that.

Do you actually need a steel toe or just the weather protection of a boot?

Personally I take between 15000 and 25000 steps a day around pavement, some gravel, snow, rain, some mud, etc. Coworkers wear high end boots, steel toe heavy boots, and tennis shoes. I opted for columbia hiking boots and have been happy with them. Comfortable, good looking, protection and most important to me they are super light. I hate the feeling of dragging around a 5lb weight with every step.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I bought a pair of Redback boots about 3-4 years ago and have worn them virtually everyday since and love them. I have back issues and have learned that comfortable footwear is a major key to managing back pain. I work in a maintenance/service career and these things have held up to some serious abuse, but throw a little polish on them and they can be worn just about anywhere and not look like work boots. The soles still look virtually brand new and I do a lot of walking, bending, kneeling, crouching. If these ever wear out I will immediately buy another pair, but at the rate they are going I can see myself getting another 5-10 years out of these without issue.

With any quality leather boot, you will have some degree of water resistance. Unless you buy a boot specifically made to repel water, though, you wouldn't want to work in a wet environment with them. Then there is Gore-tex, Thinsulate, all sorts of crap you can spend money on, depending on the level of insulation and water resistance you're after.

I absolutely abuse and neglect every pair of boots I've ever owned, and always manage to get a solid 5 years out of every pair of USA Corcoran boots I've owned. I only ever own one pair of footware at a time, so they get all day usage. Heating wet and cold feet up next to a fire (don't do that, I'm a dumbass), saturated with mud and just letting it dry and walking it off, never polishing them, pretty much anything I can do to make them not nice. I couldn't afford my usual Corcorans, so I tried a pair of Rocky's (Dominican) for half the price, and about 5 months in they're actually pretty much brand new, to my surprise.

Every pair of boots I've tried outside of Redwings are worn out in 3-4 months, now I just replace in insoles every 3-4 months and get a little over a year out of my boots. I've tried Rockys, Cats, and Wolverines. I'm willing to try out something else if someone has had good lick with them, so I'm interested where this thread goes.

I have always wore Red Wings, they will replace the sole if you send them in. Thus you should be able to get years out of them.

I have always wore Red Wings, they will replace the sole if you send them in. Thus you should be able to get years out of them.

Do they still re-leather as well? My dad had 2 pairs of redwings, neither pair of them had any part of the original boots that he purchased. When the soles wore out he sent them in to resole, when the leather wore out he sent them in to re-leather, etc...

I know the factory second boots I have bought (1/2 price I mentioned previously) I know do not come with the factory warranty. I'm not sure what the factory warranty looks like these days though.

Do they still re-leather as well? My dad had 2 pairs of redwings, neither pair of them had any part of the original boots that he purchased. When the soles wore out he sent them in to resole, when the leather wore out he sent them in to re-leather, etc...

I know the factory second boots I have bought (1/2 price I mentioned previously) I know do not come with the factory warranty. I'm not sure what the factory warranty looks like these days though.

They do re-leather also. Great customer service.