Fun and leaseable?

99StockGT

Well why not, we all enjoy these threads I guess. Here's the tale.

My woman has always had a responsible family car due to having a family to haul around and mom stuff to do, that portion of her life is now over. Kid is successful on the West Coast fresh out of college and she's looking to replace her '08 CTS with something more fun and sporty. However, unlike the man she dates, she's rather frugal with her spend and wants to keep a payment in the $350-$400 per month range on a LEASE. She's never had a new car in her life and the idea of having one certainly holds some appeal for her as she starts to enjoy this new phase of life.

* Sportyish / Fun

* Likely V8

* Stick would be awesome but not a deal breaker

* Attitude, if it screams MILF and turns heads all the better

Annnnd Go!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Challenger R/T. If you watch the lease specials from Chrysler you can get them with really low lease payments for what they are. I think Bstowers has a lease on his in the low end of your range so....it's out there.

VW GTI. I know it looks like a kids car, but it's a lot of car for the money and they are really great driving cars and a lot of fun.

Miata. The answer is always miata. If she doesn't like the way it looks, Fiat 124.

Subaru/Toyota BRZ/86GT. Everybody bitches that these are slow, but they handle well and are sporty looking. Comes in stick, and is the best compromise for someone who want's a miata, but needs at hardtop with a back seat.

The Charger/Challenger is an extremely attractive option, seems like FCA is really being aggressive on their lease deals. Even a semi base model 392 can be had in the $415-$425 range. The Mustang and Camaro lease options are almost completely unattractive, not to mention holy crap the prices they want for these damn things! Priced out a lightly optioned Mustang or Camaro you're easily in the low-mid $40k ranges and aren't even sticking on the sexier options!

Miata is already on the plate, since she now AutoXs having had a blast last year at a few events we are picking her up one to run this season herself. So the search begins for a decent NA/NB that can be an AutoX car and a fair weather top down machine.

Miata is already on the plate, since she now AutoXs having had a blast last year at a few events we are picking her up one to run this season herself. So the search begins for a decent NA/NB that can be an AutoX car and a fair weather top down machine.

Join Ohio Miata Owners facebook group. Good ones pop up from time to time but NA's seem to be getting tougher to find.

Yeah some of the pricing right now makes little to NO sense. Remember the good 'ole days when you could have a decent house on a decent paying job and a decent car that you didn't have to finance for almost a DECADE!? The standard purchase length when loading a Mustang up on Fords site to purchase is 84 MONTHS!

THE ATS-V very cool car, love that they exist but absolutely NOT something she needs. Also it's hard to stomach paying $5,000 for the privilege to rent your car at $500+ per month.

Charger/Challenger is looking like a better and better option

BRZ I can't stomach how much they want for those damn things, it's supposed to be a starter / younger persons "fun" ride and it's in the low to mid 30s? Are you freaking serious!? They're cool little cars and I can see the appeal but not unless there's a $10,000 discount coupon online I can find somewhere.

Also you can NOT lease a Mustang GT, only the 2.3 EcoBoost

Challenger 392 Scat Pack with a 6 speed, with the 6.4 Hemi...

https://www.dodge.com/build#/summary/zipcode/43016/vehicle/CUD201803/ccode/CUD201803LADX22A/llp/2DG/options/ESH,DEC,TR9,WR2,HD,XSP,GWA,UAQ,X9,PBM,23G,3EJ,APA

That's a $41,525 car with a lease between $279 and $315 per month depending on how much you put down/trade in.

Umm... for real?

Essentially the same car just in the Charger 4 door version, however because it's a charger that mean NO manual transmission option. SO we have a Charger 293 Scat Pack with a 8 speed Auto, still with the 6.4 Hemi..

https://www.dodge.com/build#/summary/zipcode/43016/vehicle/CUD201804/ccode/CUD201804LDDR48A/llp/2DW/options/ESG,DFK,TR9,WR2,GQ,XSP,GWA,UAQ,X9,PBM,21W,APA

That's a $42,370 car with a lease in the $408 to $450 range per month depending on trade in and down payment.

Edited by 99StockGT

Also you can NOT lease a Mustang GT, only the 2.3 EcoBoost

Challenger 392 Scat Pack with a 6 speed, with the 6.4 Hemi...

https://www.dodge.com/build#/summary/zipcode/43016/vehicle/CUD201803/ccode/CUD201803LADX22A/llp/2DG/options/ESH,DEC,TR9,WR2,HD,XSP,GWA,UAQ,X9,PBM,23G,3EJ,APA

That's a $41,525 car with a lease between $279 and $315 per month depending on how much you put down/trade in.

Umm... for real?

Essentially the same car just in the Charger 4 door version, however because it's a charger that mean NO manual transmission option. SO we have a Charger 293 Scat Pack with a 8 speed Auto, still with the 6.4 Hemi..

https://www.dodge.com/build#/summary/zipcode/43016/vehicle/CUD201804/ccode/CUD201804LDDR48A/llp/2DW/options/ESG,DFK,TR9,WR2,GQ,XSP,GWA,UAQ,X9,PBM,21W,APA

That's a $42,370 car with a lease in the $408 to $450 range per month depending on trade in and down payment.

It is easy to see how the Challenger is beating/keeping pace with the Mustang and Camaro even though they are both much newer designs. It used to be people flocked to the newest “coupe design” but Dodge found their niche and they are hammering it.

but Dodge found their niche and they are hammering it.

What does it say about me that as soon as I read that line Foreigner's "Dirty White Boy" began playing in my head. Further, what does it say that I am in hard lust for one of these now that ChryCo brought back F8 Green?

Austin,

She's gonna DD it right? while the scat pack seems like an awesome value, maybe you should see about just getting a basic R/T with a stick and some nice options

Yeah this is for her DD, the Miata will be her fair weather/track car. And yes I agree, the Scat Pack is a little extreme for what she "needs" how much cooler is it for $30 more per month on a lease? She MIGHT put 8,000 miles a year on it so even the additional fuel usage won't be that big a deal.

I'll absolutely agree there's a bit of a stigma on these cars, and I will personally fess up to a little bit of an anti-MOPAR bias but on the smiles per dollar.. Also, very very hard to believe that neither Ford nor Chevy even play in this market.

Since it's a DD and the Challenger seems to be a top contender here I feel the need to mention this. I know this will be a rare occurrence as it doesn't usually snow a ton in Ohio but when it does, this is absolutely one of the worst cars in the snow. The day it snowed quite a bit, I drove to work and if I got stopped at a light, from the time the light turned green and back to red my car made it from the line to the middle of the intersection. Never again.

I don't care how long the new Challenger has been in production or how "dated" it may be, I want a T/A 392 baddddddd.

I was reading the Jalopnik article about the Mahindra Roxor essentially being a new factory-built 1947 Jeep...

https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-similar-the-mahindra-roxor-is-to-an-old-jeep-1823474555

...and it made me think of other "iconic" cars, like the aircooled VW Beetle, aircooled Porsche 911, Ford/Chevy/Dodge pickup trucks...chassis's that survived decades with very little development because THEY DIDN'T NEED IT. There's something to be said for that level of resilience.

Today, most manufacturers have to refresh their models on a 3-5 year time span or they just fall out of relevance to the market. I appreciate when I see a car - like the Challenger - where they did a great job and they're milking it as long as they can.

*that said, it's still a Chrysler. #bodycontrolmodulefailure #rustholeswithin7years #bhph #subprime

I would REALLY like for there to be some other options in this category and I'm getting a bid depressed that there AREN'T. How is this a situation of there's Option A and... Option A?

Someone please find an Option B!

In typical CR fashion I'll go outside the box and ask why not buy a ~2 year old car that's already taken the depreciation hit? You could nab a '15-'16 Mustang with 10k miles for 20-something.. unless having brand new is an absolute must for some reason, where the high payments remain long after the newness wears off.

I've done both, and would take the 2 year-old purchase over a lease every time. Something to ponder.

There's certainly not a NEED for a fast/fun V8 DD but it's more of a desire issue at this point to really enjoy her commutes. As someone who gets to drive something fun every day it really does make your miles more enjoyable. The new car thing is very appealing for her as she's never had a new car, also you have 0 worry about damage/abuse from a previous owner. Buying a 2 year old Mustang GT... you might find one that was a garage queen or you might find one that's clean and polished but lived its life a 1/4 mile at a time.

In typical CR fashion I'll go outside the box and ask why not buy a ~2 year old car that's already taken the depreciation hit? You could nab a '15-'16 Mustang with 10k miles for 20-something.. unless having brand new is an absolute must for some reason, where the high payments remain long after the newness wears off.

I've done both, and would take the 2 year-old purchase over a lease every time. Something to ponder.

If I could do it all over again, I'd do this. If I was in your situation, having a shop with the full capability to work on your own stuff, I'd buy something older and cooler with cash or low payments. Hell, I'll probably do that with my next car without having anywhere to work on it if things break. Car payments over $200/month get old, fast.

If Austin's girl is anything like my wifey, they want the newest features. My wife loves our '07 CTS-V (when I'm not driving it) but now she's complaining that she has to plug in her phone for SiriusXM and navigation.

Not saying a 2-year old car is outdated, but if we're getting a new car she wants a Tesla. :no: