2014 Jeep Ball Joints

Sully

Wife's 2014 Jeep Cherokee... Apparently, now the front right ball joint is bad. Been doing some reading on it. Some say the entire knuckle needs to be replaced. Some say the ball joint can be replaced, but is pressed in, but the knuckle has to be removed anyway. Supposedly there's a ball joint press tool that can be rented from the auto store. Then, will the jeep need an alignment afterward? I wouldn't think so, but I've read some say that it's needed. I sure wish the chilton or haynes repair manual were available for this car. I'm going to need it.

Anyone have experience with ball joints on 14+ cherokees?

Is it part of the knuckle or control arm? It would need a alignment if it is pressed Into the knuckle and if the bolts for the strut to knuckle mount are adjustable ( bolt being centric or the mounting hole on the strut not a perfect circle therefore able to change chamber angle)

If part of control arm alignment would need done of the bolts that hold the control are to the frame are centric also

how you fix a jeep ball joint:

giphy.gif

Seriously though, I have a friend with a Cherokee and apparently this is a common thing. I don't think there has been a recall but there are a bunch of revision parts. I just texted him your question and his response was:

If you buy the part from jeep, they will only sell you the assembled knuckle which is the revised design (this is the lower BJ, the upper one comes attached to the upper control arm). It's expensive but it is supposed to stop the premature ball joint wear. You can get the ball joint itself from the aftermarket, but there is no guarantee that it won't happen again earlier than usual. The lower ball joint is press fit and held in with a snap ring so you have to find a shop with a press and take the arm off the car to do it.

Seriously though, I have a friend with a Cherokee and apparently this is a common thing. I don't think there has been a recall but there are a bunch of revision parts. I just texted him your question and his response was:

If you buy the part from jeep, they will only sell you the assembled knuckle which is the revised design (this is the lower BJ, the upper one comes attached to the upper control arm). It's expensive but it is supposed to stop the premature ball joint wear. You can get the ball joint itself from the aftermarket, but there is no guarantee that it won't happen again earlier than usual. The lower ball joint is press fit and held in with a snap ring so you have to find a shop with a press and take the arm off the car to do it.

Yeah, this is what I've read on the forums. It's almost $400 for the knuckle assembly and then I guess there's a nut that they say should be replaced and it's like an extra $5 just for that.

I presume that if you're replacing 1 knuckle, you have to replace the other one. I wonder if there are any better aftermarket knuckles out there that wouldn't be as expensive or maybe the same amount, but would be better. If I go the route of replacing the knuckle, is this something I can do at home, or are there special tools needed to do this too?

We're talking Cherokee here rather than Grand Cherokee, right?

Wife is interested in a small/midsize suv and Cherokee was potentially in the running (though not a looker imo). At what kind of mileage is it needing these kinds of repairs? Opinions on ownership otherwise?

I presume that if you're replacing 1 knuckle, you have to replace the other one.

Why? This is like that old wives tale about having to replace both wheel bearings at the same time. It's easier to do both while the car in in the shop because it's not a hard job and both can be done inside 2 hours but you don't HAVE to do it because of some mechanical reason. If you are doing the work yourself then just do it when the thing fails.

Why? This is like that old wives tale about having to replace both wheel bearings at the same time. It's easier to do both while the car in in the shop because it's not a hard job and both can be done inside 2 hours but you don't HAVE to do it because of some mechanical reason. If you are doing the work yourself then just do it when the thing fails.

I was asking because of the redesign of the knuckle.

We're talking Cherokee here rather than Grand Cherokee, right?

Wife is interested in a small/midsize suv and Cherokee was potentially in the running (though not a looker imo). At what kind of mileage is it needing these kinds of repairs? Opinions on ownership otherwise?

Cherokee. I hate this effing POS. So many issues. Some people have had to have the BJ's replaced under 36K. I tried to talk my wife out of it before we bought it. Having owned a Dodge truck in the past, I know how terrible this brand is. It's what she wanted and I couldn't even talk her into looking at anything else. The transmission sucks. The gas mileage sucks. It's cramped inside. The engine knocks like it's diesel. I would pay someone to steal this piece of shit and burn it.

Right now we're thinking new CR-V or Forester potentially, might even consider the new Tiguan. Gotta test drive some sheeeit here soon.

In an effort to avenge our friend Sully here, I likely will not take our business to the local Jeep dealer.