CLEETUS V: '01 Sibberado

zeitgeist57

McGaughey's rear lowering kit, so no leaf springs. Will need to remove and replace rear leaf spring hanger bracket on the frame...will need more rivets destroyed. :no: New spring/axle perches and bolts but I'll have to check the hardware to see if it comes with U-bolts...I'm guessing I'll have to order them. Good call, Scott...

YouTube/forum posts be like "Just grind off the rivet heads and pop'em out!" F*** THAT NOISE. I **mangled** these control arms with an air chisel for a few hours. Worst job since building my carport back in 2017. Agreed with the weather; it makes all of this work worth it since I'm outdoors (or at least in the garage with the door opened).

Appreciate it Clay. I'm 100% taking our A-arms w/ riveted ball joints somewhere to do them right and quickly. Worth the money for that part of the project to me.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Appreciate it Clay. I'm 100% taking our A-arms w/ riveted ball joints somewhere to do them right and quickly. Worth the money for that part of the project to me.

Oh yeah, Matt...your comment from last week. LOL...take them to someone else for sure. I only finished it because there was no turning back once the job was started (truck torn apart in my garage) and I had already bought the parts.

Alright...finally got around to dropping the rear end! Note the wheel gap:

mXX5ud3l.jpg

MaxTrac includes a rear leaf-spring-bolt hanger, and an axle flip kit. Need to take off the leaf spring, grind off the rear hanger rivets, install the new rear hanger and put the leaf spring under the axle, using the kit’s brackets to put everything together.

First snag: though rusty, the drivers’ rear bolts came off no problem. The front bolt? F**KING GAS TANK IS IN THE WAY. :no:

iTQFECzl.jpg

Maybe I’ll cut the bolt, and knock it back through the eyelet? Better use my reciprocating saw, as a torch or cutting wheel sparks might, you know, not be a good thing around the gas tank

Oh wait...brand new Harbor Freight metal saw blades LOL. :ugh:

HAjfXFxl.jpg

So, instead of the instructions saying how we causally work one side at a time, I realized that I need to scooch the axle as far to one side as possible...so I can wedge the now-hinged spring down, jack up the axle, and reposition it back over the spring. To do this, I also had to unbolt the other side as well. This threw everything up in the air, but gave me just enough room to pry bar the leaf spring around the axle.

9ZWOpAvl.jpg

Way more work, requiring unbolting of a few brackets to clearance emergency brake cables and brake lines. Plus, the driveshaft fell out of the transmission. Which I didn’t realize until I tried to drive the dang thing. But, after cutting, grinding, and bolting through Friday night into Saturday midday, everything came together nicely. After doing a YouTube spring-cut and leaf hanger flip to lower Cleetus IV, it’s nice to use a kit where everything goes together securely and with well-engineered geometry...no driveline vibrations!

Took the truck to Sean @ Northend Wrench for an alignment. While I am cheap, it just makes sense for safety, handling, and tire wear to get a good front end alignment. Sean dialed in the surprisingly adjustable GMT800 front end and made sure the steering wheel was level as well; a surprisingly nice benefit as it had been slightly clocked to one side since I owned it.

3Tzu4Nbl.jpg

The other nice thing is, even though the ancient rear leaf spring isn’t very adjustable, we could still get F/R wheel-distance measurements, to ensure that the stance is square. Nice insurance to know that the truck’s footprint is straight!

J6PS8Wjl.jpg

I think the rearend now sits perfectly. The rear hangers have two sets of bolt holes, for either a 4” drop or 5” drop. Considering the truck doesn’t have much room for fender- or frame-clearance, and I do use the bed to haul stuff, the 4” drop is the right look with a little room leftover for Ohio roads and hauling duties.

More to come! Next up is rocket rust repair and rattle-can paint for the rockers and rear roll pan.:thumbup:

I see in the picture with your spring hanging down that the frame bumper has fallen off like every older Silverado. You’re going to want to pick up some shorter aftermarket bump stops to replace them with. When you haul something in it or hit a big bump that low you will hit and it sounds horrible.

I think these are what I used.

https://m.autozone.com/suspension-system-coil-springs-and-lift-lowering/suspension-bump-stop/energy-suspension-suspension-bump-stop/355300_0_0?aqs=

Thanks, Brent. The MaxTrac kit did come with thin poly “bump stops”...they are almost like those floor furniture-sliders. Very similar to what you linked.

In my thrash to finish the rear suspension in time for the alignment, I didn’t have time to put them on.

Will cut off the old mounts and put on the bumpstops when I prep the frame for Corroseal to seal up the rust.

The suspension is definitely jittery over bumps. All of the stock shocks were rusty and a couple of them were also blown so I'll be curious how it rides with lowered shocks from Belltech or someone...

I will say, taking the on-ramp this morning to work that the truck was flat. I'm not going to start autoXing it :lol: but just lowering the center of gravity, new front end parts, and a good alignment makes the truck turn in and track very nicely. Kinda makes me wish for more power. (#eBayturbo ;) )

yiFd5NWl.jpg

Truck sitting next to a downtown parking garage neighbor: factory W/T-spec 1500 Sierra longbed. Nice to see the difference in stance. I do love the front 3/4 view of this thing now. :thumbup: Makes me smile a bit more driving it around. Already got some compliments! NEED TO REPAIR RUST now...

PJC24Pfl.jpg

First snag: though rusty, the drivers’ rear bolts came off no problem. The front bolt? F**KING GAS TANK IS IN THE WAY. :no:

iTQFECzl.jpg

This exact same issue (suspension bolt hitting the gas tank on my Mazda5) prompted my to buy my first sawzall. Amazing engineering.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

LOL! Love that it made the TV. I got that turd to shine. Had a blast at the parade; you know I’m a ham to get the crowd happy. A little bit of red fringe to cover the rocker panel rust for now...:cool:

We’ve got high hopes for our neighborhood float. My V6 Silverado pulled a 26’ trailer like a champ, rattling flexplate and all...

• 4 weeks later...

I was cleaning my garage back in June that I had a can of red Krylon Performance paint for a project last year. Looking at the cap, I realized it's a close match for the truck(??). Time to wipe down and paint the roll pan.

8z8wCFKl.jpg

Close enough for gov't work! :lol:

IJY0yPs.jpg

Also, was lurking on Amazon/eBay for the last couple of months for BellTech shocks (kit #9145), as I love the lowered suspension but the ride is hot garbage. Found "used" shocks through Amazon for $87.50 shipped. :eek: The description said they were "returns in Very Good condition". I looked at my truck and figured I'd give them a shot.

vYbUB3dl.jpg

What showed up to my door were brand new shocks in their original packaging. The box was slightly damaged, with the original shipping label cut out and mine package-taped over. We live in a gilded age when NEW PARTS are delivered in 2 days to your doorstop for cheaper than a shady CL ad. :lol:

062V8qll.jpg

I replaced the rears, then proceeded to haul over 1000lbs of scrap. Laden and unladen, the change was much improved. Looking forward to swapping the fronts as well!

Ben (1TrueSS) noticed my updates and reached out on Monday to see if I was interested in the grille from his old 6-speed-swapped Silverado.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=999&pictureid=8840

I loved his truck every time I see it, so I jumped on his offer that night. Note the old grille at the top of the pics, the stainless-steel inserts in the middle, and Ben’s modded grille at the bottom:

7jktn6ul.jpg

I like the chrome bar over my spray-painted one. Looks good!:

l7kI2QDl.jpg

Also swapped out the front shocks. Stripped out a couple of the lower bolts, but whatever. Rides much, much better!:

mK7tLGNl.jpg

Next up will be rust repair in the rockers...

Edited by zeitgeist57

Been eyeballing rust repair panels for the rockers. Saw good selection from Mill Supply.

Was up in CLE and swung by their warehouse, figured I’d save on shipping for $40 worth of panels...

JV5DG1dl.jpg

...BECAUSE THAT’S WHAT HEROES DO.

:lol: