Stripped triple square

Lauren

Had luck using heat. Had one I got out on a last ditch effort. Heated the head red hot and hammered a torx bit into it. Let it cool a little bit then used a ratchet to work it out using a little heat and a lot of luck

Which triple square is it? the brake caliper bracket? or the one that holds the wheel bearing hub assembly in?

If it is the caliper bracket, see if you can drill out the head of it, then get the caliper bracket off the stud you just made and then use heat and vice grips to try and extract the stud.

if you decide to do the other method where you use a torx hammered into it, make sure you use a really long breaker bar or rachet because that sucker needs leverage.

don't know what to do if it is that massive one that goes into the end of the axle.

Hammer a torx into it. Or the next size up triple square.
This, or if that doesn't work, try grinding the head flat to grab with vise grips then just grind the head off and pull the axle flange to expose some more meat on the bolt.

Any luck??

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Haven't had time to try and extract it anymore. I'm going to try vise grips after work tonight and if that doesn't work I'm going to dremel it off.

If you rip that head off your going to have to drill and tap the flange then and that is no bueno

ive done countless vw axles with stripped triple squares... easy with an air hammer and chisel bit just hit it on the edge and it will break loose no problem.

Was about to post this.

An air hammer with a chisel attachment would be my pick

Or...depending on the proximity to the axle/trans, you can rotate the half shaft so the offending tripsquare is facing down, slot it with a cut-off wheel, and use a large flathead or air chisel to rotate it out.

Watch the CV boot.

The inner and outer CV boots are torn ansnthe joints are dangling. Surprised I made it home from Detroit as bad as they were.

Going to put the bolt at 6 o'clock position and try getting vise grips on it. I really do not want to tackle this.

They are torqued to something like 30 ft/lbs so it's gonna take some effort. The Triple Square head by design is meant to be used in high fastener torque applications. From what I remember about my wife's audi they have locktite on them too.

So this has been a nightmare. I've bought every bolt extraction tool on the market. I took it to the auto repair place across from my development and after looking at it they wouldn't do the repair. Today I busted out the dremel just wanting to get the head off and would deal with the stud after axle came out. Three hours of grinding and axle finally Came out. The stud was finger lose and now new axle can finally go in.

Another thought with using a dremel to make a straight cut on the head is to use the tools made for brake rotor screw removal. It has a couple of bits, one being a flathead. It's the one where you put the tip in, I know haha, and hammer on the other end to loosen whatever you are trying to get off. I used mine once as intended on an 08 CRV and have used it many times on bolts that I have stripped the head on.

Another thought with using a dremel to make a straight cut on the head is to use the tools made for brake rotor screw removal. It has a couple of bits, one being a flathead. It's the one where you put the tip in, I know haha, and hammer on the other end to loosen whatever you are trying to get off. I used mine once as intended on an 08 CRV and have used it many times on bolts that I have stripped the head on.

I think you are talking about a manual impact driver.

http://www.searshardwarestores.com/product/Craftsman-47641-Impact-Driver?store=&preview=9296&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o1&scid=scplp19121529&sc_intid=19121529&gclid=CjwKCAjwk9HWBRApEiwA6mKWadOUTAZxm8cDenSC4hvUHUHoSEK3QTZjkAiOJ7jV8LjZdsxJ7oAKUBoCLNEQAvD_BwE