LS ideas

Geeesammy

So I've been looking into the thought lately of toying around with an N/A LS project.

Ideally this would be in a manually shifted rwd shitbox, on a somewhat tight budget. Say $2500 (including motor purchase price) excluding all the fuel system minus small adapter type stuff.

Would one want a 4.8, 5.3 or 6.0? High revs aren't required, however an emphasis should be placed on an abundance of power across the board, as tabletop like a dyno sheet as one could muster.

I know one is the same as the next as far as reliability on an NA goes. I'd even consider putting in a stockish LS1 into whatever for the weight savings. I'm sure down the line it could get a set of twins, but I don't plan on it. Just wanting something to whip around an autocross course that is dead nuts reliable and will take what it's given with a smile.

I've got literally no idea what cam to look at, or whether a new set of heads would be needed. I know different iterations of each engine exist, but I'm not motivated enough to travel cross country to get some oddball combo'd LQ4 that is ultra wondercool.

The differences between one 4.8 to another 4.8, or 5.3 to 5.3 is minimal. Biggest difference is generation and block material. Going gen 4 you get a better rod, arguably stronger with floating wrist pins. Gen 4 engines also typically run a different crank, cam, and knock sensor configurations then a gen 3, but is not usually a big deal just something to consider when choosing a correct ECM and harness. When it comes to 6.0 engines the big difference beyond generation id if it has dished pistons or not, the most popular engine the LQ4 has dished pistons, LQ9 has flat tops, everything else is the same. Get into newer stuff and there's a ton of different RPO codes and variations, but things are easily adapted no matter which one you start with.

In my opinion it's a toss up between the three truck engines, the 4.8 will easily rev with a cam change and it's usually cheaper. The 5.3 is plentiful, cheap, and very versatile. The 6.0 typically costs a few bucks more, but you run bigger heads and get more out of it. An aluminum block is great, I won't talk it down, but eveyone seems to think they are worth a lot more. The weight difference is about 88 pounds between the iron and aluminum blocks, I honestly don't see that being a big difference maker in performance for most people. Otherwise the two blocks are basically identical in design. If I had a lightweight car I think I high spinning 4.8 would be fun. If I wanted more power a boosted 5.3 could make over 500 wheel and be daily driven without any ill effects.

You'll figure out what you want...maybe....or I suppose this is Grant's flavor of the week this time.

If I had a lightweight car I think I high spinning 4.8 would be fun. If I wanted more power a boosted 5.3 could make over 500 wheel and be daily driven without any ill effects.

You'll figure out what you want...maybe....or I suppose this is Grant's flavor of the week this time.

What does a 4.8 rev to, stock vs modded?

edit: this answered most of my question and makes me say do it http://www.hotrod.com/articles/4-8l-crank-ls3-block-how-to-build-an-8000-rpm-ls-stroker/

6.0 has more power to start but usually cost way too much imo.

2005-2007 5.3 is where it's at, they had the Gen 4 rods/pistons and are still super cheap. Like $500 after core.

As for a vehicle I'd look into something that came with a video factory... S-series are cheap and the parts are there but it gets expensive quick.

6.0 has more power to start but usually cost way too much imo.

2005-2007 5.3 is where it's at, they had the Gen 4 rods/pistons and are still super cheap. Like $500 after core.

As for a vehicle I'd look into something that came with a video factory... S-series are cheap and the parts are there but it gets expensive quick.

I will never own an s chassis

What the hell are you trying to say? What's a factory video? Or video factory? Something built during the glory days of Blockbuster Video.

I will never own an s chassis

Are we talking same S-series truck or the S-chassis nissan?

What the hell are you trying to say? What's a factory video? Or video factory? Something built during the glory days of Blockbuster Video.

Auto correct, V8. not video.

Glad you asked this, as I'm searching for a specific vehicle to swap an Ls of some variety into.

I'd like to go the turbo route though, so probably iron block for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

$2500 For motor trans and the shit box? A t56 is not cheap and for a budget the 5.3/4.8 will be the cheapest ls based motor you will find

$2500 all together for the engine alone. With the costs of t56's I'm just gonna buy a t56 magnum

Hopefully you got a turbo transaxle,

Turbo transaxle or 968 trans would cost more than the car, the swap, and a turbo kit combined. Fuck that, I would rather shred transaxles.

There is a company that sells a drop in LSD for the NA transaxle, so I’ll pick one of those up at some point.

Number one- Make up ya' damn mind sir.

$2500 all together for the engine alone. With the costs of t56's I'm just gonna buy a t56 magnum

Ideally this would be in a manually shifted rwd shitbox, on a somewhat tight budget. Say $2500 (including motor purchase price) excluding all the fuel system minus small adapter type stuff.

l.

You either commit to the budget- or go full retard. There is no middle ground here.

Your biggest issue to make this budget-by far- is going o be transmission selection. Everyone wants to pretend LS's are super cheap-but the only thing cheap is the initial log block purchase-and then your like everyone else on sloppy mechanics with a 15k build sheet- but all you want to talk about is your $200 motor. :dumb:

That being said- you can do it. Need a T5 or Nv Truck 5 speed or a Muncie 4 speed- T56 ain't cone happen in this market. bobo' Motor of your choice- random Sn95 chassis (because Fox bodies are so fuckign played out) whatever $100 Cam and used springs you find, used HP tuners, and you will be tickling 400whp in your budget constraints. This is the only way its goign to happen, and yes, I am an expert. ;)

Number one- Make up ya' damn mind sir.

You either commit to the budget- or go full retard. There is no middle ground here.

Your biggest issue to make this budget-by far- is going o be transmission selection. Everyone wants to pretend LS's are super cheap-but the only thing cheap is the initial log block purchase-and then your like everyone else on sloppy mechanics with a 15k build sheet- but all you want to talk about is your $200 motor. :dumb:

That being said- you can do it. Need a T5 or Nv Truck 5 speed or a Muncie 4 speed- T56 ain't cone happen in this market. bobo' Motor of your choice- random Sn95 chassis (because Fox bodies are so fuckign played out) whatever $100 Cam and used springs you find, used HP tuners, and you will be tickling 400whp in your budget constraints. This is the only way its goign to happen, and yes, I am an expert. ;)

I'm going budget engine with s t56 magnum. I'm 100% done fucking around with transmissions that can't take me beating the fuck out of it.

My $2500 budget is literally JUST FOR AN ENGINE and associated mods to it. Ideally the cheaper the better because it goes in the piggy bank for a TT kit or blower on down the line.

At this point I'm just wanting a stout, 400+ whp/tq engine in the bay that can rev and make good lower through the rev range.

I don't want to build the bottom end for something na, I don't have any desire to use nitrous and I dont think any blows would work. This is literally a budget to just get the engine in the car, excluding mounts and exhaust.