Why are wetsuits Black?

1Quik7

Random drunk thoght of the night. I'm watching MJ "will you be there' from Free Willy..one of my favs(song, not movie), I'm a 90s kid, love MJ. But seriously...from Shark to Orcas, all attacks that I've ever heard of have been typical wetsuits. "Oh they mistook them for a seal".

Neon colors exist in nature for a reason...it means don't F with me.

Thoughts?

I imagine that there isn't enough light being reflected off the bottom of the ocean to show color, so all you would see is the dark silhouette.

Rather, the sunlight coming down from the top quickly filters out. My diving instructor once commented how he loved putting people into colors like "Yum yum yellow," just to see who was paying attention during that part of class (reds and yellows are among the first wavelengths of light to be filtered out).

It’s probably a combination of things. Doesn’t show dirt as much. Absorbs more light, possibly help you stay a little warmer. Bright colors may attract fish to you on reefs. Black also hides your body better. Let’s be honest most people that can afford to scuba are not in peak physical shape, myself included, blacks gonna hide those lines better.

Or simple supply and demand. Not much demand for color suits and the ones they have made sit on racks and don’t get reordered. I got black because it was the only color available.

Rather, the sunlight coming down from the top quickly filters out. My diving instructor once commented how he loved putting people into colors like "Yum yum yellow," just to see who was paying attention during that part of class (reds and yellows are among the first wavelengths of light to be filtered out).

Another great point. The suit you see on the boat is the suit you see under water. Get a colored suit and your partner might mix you up with someone else.

Close enough for a guy who doesn't know anything about diving lol.