Anyone good with working on ATV's?

smokin5s

So I picked up a "coolster" youth ATV from my neighbor and I can't get the damn thing to try to turn over. It has an alarm on it which I'm pretty sure is disabled.. some of the message forums talk about a brake lockout that goes bad on those but no one can give me specifics on how to bypass it... Anyone have experience or ideas on how to get this darn thing running?

no voltage at the starter... I picked up some 20amp wire on my way home from work tonight but it's been storming non stop since I got home so I might have to wait until tomorrow to go out back and try to jump the wire from the battery to the starter.

Even if you manage to get the starter jumped, the ignition might be off as well so it might turn over but not start.

Do the basic checks first:

Multimeter on the battery to check voltage.

Check ALL fuses in the system

Check continuity of the kill switch when switched to run.

battery is brand new and rocking and rolling, all fuses are good, no idea where in the world the kill switch is at or I would have already bashed it with a hammer...

Good news, when I jumped the battery terminal to the starter, the bike started right up. It has a new carb on it so the carb is WAAAAAY out of adjustment. One thing at a time though, I read online where a common component on that brand to break is on the brake switch, so I need to trace down through the brakes and see if I find a double or single wire on it that I can either jump or ground out. Worst case, I'll drill a push button on the plastic of the ATV and make the jumper more permanent bypassing all that shit.

Congrats,

If it started right up then the killswitch is set to run.

If the brake switch is the problem, you can just remove the switch and connect the leads to each other, that’s how I disable clutch safety switches.

cleaned up the connections on the master cylinder and now the starter is working as expected... woot... issue one resolved...

Now, it smokes like a 60 year old who smokes 2 packs a day.. I would like to think that it's just because it sat so long, but honestly, it smells like burnt oil which makes me think that there's valve seal issues... Anyone have any trucks to maybe help minimize all the smoking?