Cleaning up aluminum wheels

2 Sweet

Thanks to years of winter driving and cheap brake pads, the wheels on my truck are starting to look like hell, specifically the fronts. If you look close, you can see all the black shit that has built up on there, and won't wash/wipe off. Can these wheels be cleaned up well enough with cleaner/polish and a powercone, or will I need to wetsand as well?

2jVw7LWh.jpg

They don't need to be perfect, it's just an old beat up work truck, but I want them to look "not shitty" without spending all weekend on them.

Acid based wheel cleaner (bare aluminum wheels) and some fine steel wool - you'll want gloves and goggles (that stuff stings). That should remove dirt/staining and leave the wheels looking almost white(ish). If there are pits you need to get rid of you can use a buffing wheel and buffing compound to polish them out. If you are OK with the finish post acid wash, then the cone and metal polish will get you back to a decent look.

Acid based wheel cleaner (bare aluminum wheels) and some fine steel wool - you'll want gloves and goggles (that stuff stings). That should remove dirt/staining and leave the wheels looking almost white(ish). If there are pits you need to get rid of you can use a buffing wheel and buffing compound to polish them out. If you are OK with the finish post acid wash, then the cone and metal polish will get you back to a decent look.

I've heard some people say steel wool is a bad idea because it will leave tiny flakes of metal embedded in the wheels and will rust over time? Not sure if that's accurate or a load of horse shit

I've heard some people say steel wool is a bad idea because it will leave tiny flakes of metal embedded in the wheels and will rust over time? Not sure if that's accurate or a load of horse shit

Thorough cleaning is required post use! (and I could see this being more likely with very course steel wool)

No need reinventing the wheel since much of what Mike has posted is solid advice. Follow along with his thread here and you'll be good. It's a bit of a process but the results speak for themselves.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2009-to-2017-how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/27892-old-school-aluminum-slotted-mag-wheels-extreme-makeover.html