Rust vs accident history

Forrest Gump 9

I’m in a middle of a rock and a hard place. I’m in a hunt for a 1999-2002 MB E55 AMG. I found two car that in my budget and mileage.

White one had been in three accidents per Carfax. 1, Front passenger. 2, rear. 3, rear passenger, rear, and rear driver damages. All three accidents were minor, no airbags deployed. The owner said you can’t tell from looking at it.

Black one is original owner, he lowered the car and the rear wheels rubbed the rear fenders caused rusts on both rear fender. Beside that everything checked out good.

What would you choose and why? What make this hard for me is I absolutely hate rust. Is it possible to repair rust (that will eleminate rust for the life of the car, not couple years)?

It's a big world, unless it's a money thing, I'm sure you should be able to find one in great condition somewhere....

However, between those two, I agree with Steve. You can fix the rust areas but you really have no idea what the real-deal is with the accidents. I'd believe nothing the owner is telling you.

Have you inspected the rust? Is it just surface rust from worn away paint? Or did the guy rub some of the metal off and now it’s rusting deep in the metal?

If it’s just surface from rubbed paint then go for it. If it’s starting to pit...eh...I would still go for it but know it’s going to be much more expensive to fix.

As a guy with a V that has two "accidents" under it's belt, I would wonder how cheap the accident-history guy will go...but only because I absolutely hate rust.

On the plus side for the rusty car.....it's already lowered. Free mods you don't need to invest in. :)

Have you inspected the rust? Is it just surface rust from worn away paint? Or did the guy rub some of the metal off and now it’s rusting deep in the metal?

If it’s just surface from rubbed paint then go for it. If it’s starting to pit...eh...I would still go for it but know it’s going to be much more expensive to fix.

The rust on the black car is bad. It’s gotten thru both layers of metal on the rear fenders. It lived it whole life in Ohio.

I think I would pass on both. I know it’s a different animal but when I was looking for my Firehawk I spent 3 years trying to find the “right” car and I passed on a lot of cars that were almost what I wanted. Good luck.

The rust on the black car is bad. It’s gotten thru both layers of metal on the rear fenders. It lived it whole life in Ohio.

yeah...at that point you are into patch panels and at least a 1/2 car repaint.

I'm with clay, see if the white car guy has accident pictures and see how cheap he'll go.

are you looking for one of the 600 (300 imported to the US) 2001 E55 AMGs? or the more broader w210 E55 AMG they imported 2,000 of?

If it is one of the 2001 special cars, then it may be worth it considering the accident car.

If it is one of the other ones, then keep looking.