Anyone go to NYC very often?

smokin5s

So I used to travel to NYC all the time for work, but haven't in a few years since leaving L Brands. My wife has never been so I was thinking about getting us a trip to NYC just the two of us for a long weekend since tomorrow is her 40th birthday. Hotels are $$$ if you stay in the city and then adding parking it's just crazy. What I'm hoping to ask is, does anyone know of a hotel maybe in Jersey or somewhere that has free parking that's more reasonable that's close to the subway so we can ride into the city and save some cash.

We stayed at a little hotel called The Evelyn when we went last year. It after Christmas and before NYE and rates were reasonable IMO. Like $130 a night and then $20 a day for parking.

Not sure what your budget is, and that rate might not be applicable for this time if year. Either way it as a nice hotel and within walking distance to most everything.

If your doing a Statue of Liberty tour, I would suggest going over to Liberty State park in NJ (200 Morris Pesin Drive, Jersey City, NJ 07305). Parking is $7 (all day) and you can get dropped off in Battery Park via ferry and catch a ride back for ~$7 each.

If your doing a Statue of Liberty tour, I would suggest going over to Liberty State park in NJ (200 Morris Pesin Drive, Jersey City, NJ 07305). Parking is $7 (all day) and you can get dropped off in Battery Park via ferry and catch a ride back for ~$7 each.

FYI both the SoL and Empire State Building have airport esc security and no lockers. I had the throw away my pocket knife. Plan accordingly.

We stayed at a little hotel called The Evelyn when we went last year. It after Christmas and before NYE and rates were reasonable IMO. Like $130 a night and then $20 a day for parking.

Not sure what your budget is, and that rate might not be applicable for this time if year. Either way it as a nice hotel and within walking distance to most everything.

that's right in my price range of what I was looking to spend. I'm thinking mid Oct so that the weather starts to cool off a little.

so the Evelyn has gone up in price.... it's 3x + that price right now.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but staying outside of NYC for a trip to NYC will be huge disappointment. Part of the experience is staying directly in the city. It sucks that hotels are more money, but it's just part of the cost. I wouldn't recommend staying in NJ and going back and forth. Just think about having a great dinner in the city- nothing will kill the experience more than saying "okay, time to take the smelly ass train home". It'd be much better to walk through the city back to your hotel.

Find a decent priced hotel and experience all NYC has to offer. Again, I suggest the NYLO as a reasonably priced hotel in a great area and a VERY cool vibe, but I'm sure there are others.

When I worked NYC for a couple of banks, I really enjoyed The Muse by Times Square. It's a Kimpton chain hotel that had very reasonable rates (around $200-250/night), and a free wine happy-hour from 5-6pm every day...was a great way to unwind and get a couple of rounds in you before hitting the town and will save on drinks from a budget standpoint if that's part of your cost.

You mentioned a car - I'm assuming for a long weekend you weren't planning on driving out to NYC and back? Take a flight to LaGuardia and it's relatively easy to get around on the MTA. I've even taken a city bus before and it's slower but just as easy. Unless you need to travel upstate, Connecticut, Long Island or into NJ/PA it really doesn't make sense to rent a car...the subway is fast and I argue part of the experience of seeing the City.

I haven't been to SoL since the '90s, but Central Park, Times Square, and the 9/11 Memorial are all very impressive. All easy access from trains/subways. Map out your trip before you go and know what routes to take but you'll find no faster way to get where you need to go. You'll be walking a lot but I find that keeps your energy levels high.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but staying outside of NYC for a trip to NYC will be huge disappointment. Part of the experience is staying directly in the city. It sucks that hotels are more money, but it's just part of the cost. I wouldn't recommend staying in NJ and going back and forth. Just think about having a great dinner in the city- nothing will kill the experience more than saying "okay, time to take the smelly ass train home". It'd be much better to walk through the city back to your hotel.

Find a decent priced hotel and experience all NYC has to offer. Again, I suggest the NYLO as a reasonably priced hotel in a great area and a VERY cool vibe, but I'm sure there are others.

the price is one thing, but the idea of driving my car in the city just makes me want to slit my wrists. Also parking is insane in the city.

When I worked NYC for a couple of banks, I really enjoyed The Muse by Times Square. It's a Kimpton chain hotel that had very reasonable rates (around $200-250/night), and a free wine happy-hour from 5-6pm every day...was a great way to unwind and get a couple of rounds in you before hitting the town and will save on drinks from a budget standpoint if that's part of your cost.

You mentioned a car - I'm assuming for a long weekend you weren't planning on driving out to NYC and back? Take a flight to LaGuardia and it's relatively easy to get around on the MTA. I've even taken a city bus before and it's slower but just as easy. Unless you need to travel upstate, Connecticut, Long Island or into NJ/PA it really doesn't make sense to rent a car...the subway is fast and I argue part of the experience of seeing the City.

I haven't been to SoL since the '90s, but Central Park, Times Square, and the 9/11 Memorial are all very impressive. All easy access from trains/subways. Map out your trip before you go and know what routes to take but you'll find no faster way to get where you need to go. You'll be walking a lot but I find that keeps your energy levels high.

planning on driving there and back. It's an 8 hour drive... no biggie