"Mr. Deux": 24 Hours of Lemons Project

ShowHBK

I recently acquired a tech'd, logbooked chaumpcar MR2 with a blown trans. Assuming I can get to it this winter, we're expecting an early spring shakedown. Happy to compare notes as we go.

24904984_1508913919.1413.jpg

Is a good aero carbon swan neck and splitter allowed?

Mike, nice work and good progress so far.

Have you guys really weighed out the pros and cons of racing Lemons? If the entertainment and rules are what have you considering it, than my statement's moot.

I've got friends that have done both Chump and Lemons and, the feedback is pretty consistent: the chump drivers have less accidents. IMO junk cars are still too expensive to replace. The idea of racing wheel-to-wheel with unlicensed drivers in death traps gives me the "jeebs". It's fun to watch though.

This is actually a legitimate concern for us, because we have thought long about the cons of Lemons. We are trying to to everything by the book this first time because we have heard from some people who have done Lemons before that they planed, worked, and stressed for months preparing, only to blow up the transmission on lap 5 with no spare.

The best case is that we make it the entire time and walk away with a great experience. Worst case, we never make it to the starting line. Everything in between has been evaluated. The 4-5 of us are dumping our spare cash into the build and we are a passionate group. It seems like the long term goals are to "buy our seat" in the car to use it after the race, so we are thinking more long term than anything.

Though, we all did agree to not be upset if the damn thing blows up on the 10th lap. If it does, have a beer ready for me when we come back from Michigan, i'll need it, :lol:

I recently acquired a tech'd, logbooked chaumpcar MR2 with a blown trans. Assuming I can get to it this winter, we're expecting an early spring shakedown. Happy to compare notes as we go.

24904984_1508913919.1413.jpg

Sounds cool man, let me know if you find anything interesting with yours.

The body on ours is about a 5/10 with multiple rust holes, so I am going to have to learn welding by the time this is all said and done.

Not precisely, but the rule book for chump is an aerodynamicist's dream playground in many ways. Materials controlled by square area necessitates unique problem solving strategies. "How can I get the most downforce and least drag from the least area of lowest cost material?"

Long term, this car is likely to either stay in chump or stay in my stewardship, but likely not both for very long.

Sounds cool man, let me know if you find anything interesting with yours.

The body on ours is about a 5/10 with multiple rust holes, so I am going to have to learn welding by the time this is all said and done.

I mean, if you guys run into too many issues and feel like doing a trans swap, you can just take mine for a race or two. Cheap race cars are meant to be shared.:burn:

At least as far as Champ (Chump) is concerned, carbon fiber is not permitted.

Plywood, aluminum are charged by the square foot, but F aero (spoiler/splitter) and rear aero (wing) are a flat point value (10? or 15? points ea.)

At least as far as Champ (Chump) is concerned, carbon fiber is not permitted.

Plywood, aluminum are charged by the square foot, but F aero (spoiler/splitter) and rear aero (wing) are a flat point value (10? or 15? points ea.)

Yeah, he's just making fun of me for running a car in a series where my own products aren't allowed. Maybe I'll stick a GOODAero setup and a snail-shell on the car for some time-attack action just to see what it'll do :lolguy:

Yeah, he's just making fun of me for running a car in a series where my own products aren't allowed. Maybe I'll stick a GOODAero setup and a snail-shell on the car for some time-attack action just to see what it'll do :lolguy:

Bring it to gridlife. People will love it.

• 1 month later...

The car is getting ready to be cut, welded, and sanded. We were able to do a little work the other night on cutting the rusted parts off to prepare them for welding on the new floor.

I am currently in the process of learning MIG welding for the next phase with Craig, and Kevan is teaching us how to not make shit welds so we don't go full Flintstones on the track.

MmevnE5.jpg

L5OjeqU.jpg

ukr62YO.jpg

Looking good!

Something I've been thinking about recently on this would be a full rear bulkhead break-away setup. In essence, creating a structural plane right behind the motor/trans where everything behind that could be removed/reinstalled quickly. It wouldn't net any performance benefit (aside from maybe added torsional rigidity) and would likely increase weight. However, for endurance racing, I think the effort would be worthwhile to allow quick and comprehensive access to the drivetrain. Doubtful they'd allow it in something like Chump or LeMons though.

• 2 weeks later...

We did some of the last blasting the other night and the T-VIS intake was one of the last pieces along with the throttle body and a few other parts. I only took a picture of the Intake...

XEs8idf.jpg

The inside of the T-VIS was absolutely disgusting and... well... you just take a look for yourself...

9RtplDR.jpg

Going to puke... :barf:

The reflection you are seeing at the bottom is liquid from the parts cleaner. We are going to work hard to get it off, but most attempts at getting it 100% clean have not come up with much success. Parts cleaner seems to eat it right off, but we don't have 2 gallons of the stuff to soak.

More updates to come!

Honestly, that's not too bad! I've seen dried up crud/carbon buildup much worse than that...you can still see the cast walls through the oil/fuel deposits. Hopefully comes out with chemicals and pressure-washing. Maybe a parts washer?

I'm used to seeing abused junk that doesn't run as well as a Toyota 4-cyl...:)

• 3 weeks later...

Did some work on the dash impact bar a few weeks ago. I went to work with the grinder to get all that rust off and Mike P did an AMAZING paint job to mask all other rough edges.

pFe9aWD.jpg

And the Engine block, cylinder head and intake are getting cleaned...

ZzO9Dit.jpg

MORE UPDATES TO COME!