WTBorrow: Leakdown Test Kit - and when is it time to throw in the towel?

zeitgeist57

After rebuilding the top end of my '95 BMW 318i 3 years ago - http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121778&page=3&highlight=napa+head - I've always had coolant issues. There appears to be a continual leaking of coolant out of the crossover tube (I bought a non-OEM replacement and there are instances that these don't seal properly) and I do need to replace the valve cover gasket as it's leaking oil.

After 4k miles of driving around, I'm thinking of pulling the head back off and re-do the gaskets and cooling system.

Quite frankly, before I do all that, I'd like to see if the lower block is in need of rebuilding after 143k miles. The car runs great, but I need to get it back to some level of reliability in order to either keep it for another several years or put it up for sale in the spring. If the rings are pretty bad, I'll have to look at a 5.0L swap.

Does anyone have a good cylinder leak-down tester I can borrow for an afternoon/evening? Thank you!

EDIT: I'm going to go on a rant, with the thought process I have every time I drive my E36:

1) Man, this car still is fun to rip around, and everything I fix just adds a little moar good to this thing.

2) I need to fix the leaks.

3) Geez, this thing's got 143xxx miles on it. Is the engine sound enough to fix?

4) Maybe I should 5.0L swap it? That would be a fun project...

5) Is it worth the investment to 5.0L swap it? Guys say that's going to kill the balance...

6) Maybe I should just sell it....but then I have to fix the leaks. And what am I going to buy to replace it? Fackin' expensive crap out there...

WHEN IS IT TIME TO JUST DUMP IT?

"when is it time to dump it"?

when it stops being fun. sounds like that's a long way away.

no harm in doing a full diagnostics for funsies, just have to be careful of while you are in there syndrome.

modern FI engines don't wear rings like old carb'ed engines because the cyl's aren't being washed down in gasoline. If there is a problem you are going to have to find the root cause of it too. IIRC the last time you had the head off those cyl still had some of the factory cross hatch visible but that was like 2 years ago.

If you want to see what's what, do a comp test, leakdown, fuel pressure test, and air/fuel. Also read the plugs. You can borrow my fuel pressure test kit again, and my compression tester, but I don't have a leakdown test kit or a stoich gauge.

Dump it.. You got a bagged Lincoln and a CTS-V and a nice truck and a wife and...

Sold the Lincoln to my 70+ year-old parents. It's in Cleveland. They want to cruise around in it :lol: (I'll get it back a few years from now)

The BMW has provided this hi-revving, tuner-feel, light and tossable platform that's dirty cheap and relatively easy to repair. The CTS-V is more of a grand-tourer.

BMW top-down gives me a Petrolicious driving experience...with road feel, exhaust noise, analog steering and shifting.

It's a good car. I don't know what else I can get that's as sold and modern while still being old-school enough to repair at home.

"when is it time to dump it"?

when it stops being fun. sounds like that's a long way away.

no harm in doing a full diagnostics for funsies, just have to be careful of while you are in there syndrome.

modern FI engines don't wear rings like old carb'ed engines because the cyl's aren't being washed down in gasoline. If there is a problem you are going to have to find the root cause of it too. IIRC the last time you had the head off those cyl still had some of the factory cross hatch visible but that was like 2 years ago.

If you want to see what's what, do a comp test, leakdown, fuel pressure test, and air/fuel. Also read the plugs. You can borrow my fuel pressure test kit again, and my compression tester, but I don't have a leakdown test kit or a stoich gauge.

Thanks, Kerry. Doesn't seem to be any blow-by and the dipstick is clean.

I think the lower assembly should be good if I reseal the block...just want to make sure. Appreciate the offer for fuel pressure. I do have a compression tester but not a leak-down. Obviously my go-to store for this would be Harbor Freight, but the ratings are not good. Wanted to see if someone has a good one to borrow.

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-5609-Cylinder-Leakage-Tester/dp/B0030EVL60/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1540300259&sr=8-3&keywords=leak+down+tester

As much car work as you do I would say you could justify having one. You'll spend $50 in time and gas finding one to borrow and returning it. That one is $66