Pickup w/extendable bed?

zeitgeist57

https://jalopnik.com/the-unibody-volkswagen-tarok-pickup-has-a-cool-extendab-1830279842

I see this article about the Volkswagen Tarok, lamenting the fact that it wouldn't be sold in the US for another 25 years. Then, as I'm reading, I'm disappointed that Jalopnik equates "extendable bed" to foldable mid-gate like the Subaru Baja and GM Avalanche/EXT's. IT'S BEEN DONE.

Would be sweet if we could get a similar, light-duty unibody truck with a bed that could extend properly out the back. Like this:

rioqa9fazcjbmtxvu62g.jpg

To a point where you could hold gravel/mulch or bulky yard waste without getting the interior dirty.

Sure, there are complexities with manufacturing and crash-testing in the US. Just would be nice to see.

It'd be a lot cheaper to just make the bed longer, and 99% of buyers would rather have a cheaper truck than a truck that's easier to park.

Didn't the Ranger or Frontier or something have bars that would flip out onto the tailgate to extend the bed?

There were a couple of mid-size trucks with flip out bars, which works for larger items but not good for carrying anything loose.

I hear you on the longer bed. Fact is, the OEM's are making plenty of money on 5-seater tiny-bed trucks anyway. Step up to a CrewCab with an 8ft bed if you need it...the option's there. I like the idea of something that 95% of the time is smaller to drive/park when the bed is empty, yet can haul gear or mulch when the trip calls for it.

Would be sweet if we could get a similar, light-duty unibody truck with a bed that could extend properly out the back. Like this:

I believe this is an oxymoron. Unibody does not equal truck, of course I think of many unibody "SUVs" are really crossover junk.

I gotta say, my F150 has a 5.5' bed and I really wish it had at least the 6'. Hard to find Lariat crew cabs in a 6+ though. I have a bed extender which makes it bearable.

An extendable bed with full sides would be pretty cool if it wasn't heavy and bulky as shit. I hate my buddies Avalanche, part because of the lack of separation of dirty things but also because it would be useless with my kids. I'd have to take their seats out to use it which is a pain enough, but then obviously they couldn't come with me. Fuck all that noise.