4strings??

Forrest Gump 9

Take this with a grain (no pun intended) of salt, but the rumor I heard was money/investor issues began shortly after their 2nd facility opened, and they lasted as long as possible. I also heard employees literally showed up for work to find out the doors were locked.

With breweries popping up on every corner, I always wonder if the bubble for local craft beer is going to pop soon. It takes a lot of beer sales to make any money, not just a ipa home brewer with a bank roll.

Tom

RIP Hilltop. Was my favorite summer beer.

Unfortunately, we in the banking industry are seeing signs of saturation in the craft brewery and micro-distillery market. Not that there isn’t room for successful ventures; there’s just a lot of product and not a ton of increased demand.

Great producers will survive, others will consolidate or close up.

Nobody is saying anything, nobody knows anything. Even those of us who know Dan didn't have any idea this was coming. it was a shock to the home brewers in the area. Personally I was wondering how close to saturation the market was. The craft beer world is littered with breweries that expanded too big too fast and couldn't sustain the extra debt and costs.

Doubt you're going to see Lineage go anywhere anytime soon. Mike and Carey have planned out that brewery pretty well, and have figured out their demographic. Personally I like their beers, and I like the brewery.

The only central Ohio brewery poised to go beyond central Ohio with any real substance is CBC. They are selling so much beer that their tap room has been delayed for years now because they are having trouble meeting demand.

I'm sure we'll continue to see new breweries open on a regular basis, but we'll also see the lesser quality offerings start to go by the wayside as people have more choices. If anyone hasn't checked it out, one of my favorites is Sideswipe. They are not far from where 4 String was located.

There is some crap out there as well. Most of it is in rural areas without any competition though, so they will survive a while.

Tis a bummer. I am all for the more the merrier approach, but even I cant patronize a lot of places when there are just SO MANY. I live right across from Lineage...hated it at first and now I love it. They keep offering up unique and new stuff. Kind of across the street a new one...Actual...is going in. Not in a super ideal spot in the corner of the Luckys parking lot, so I wonder just how long they might last. I hope they do...hope they all do as it is making this little area north of campus AWESOME (even though we're moving LOL)

Tis a bummer. I am all for the more the merrier approach, but even I cant patronize a lot of places when there are just SO MANY. I live right across from Lineage...hated it at first and now I love it. They keep offering up unique and new stuff. Kind of across the street a new one...Actual...is going in. Not in a super ideal spot in the corner of the Luckys parking lot, so I wonder just how long they might last. I hope they do...hope they all do as it is making this little area north of campus AWESOME (even though we're moving LOL)

I know every city says this in 2018 :), but...

We really are very lucky in Columbus to have so many amazing beer/dining options. We often Uber/drive from UA to Clintonville or Short North and there is no shortage of amazing places to eat and drink.

The only central Ohio brewery poised to go beyond central Ohio with any real substance is CBC. They are selling so much beer that their tap room has been delayed for years now because they are having trouble meeting demand.

Any reason why their restaurant closed then? It was damn good.

They weren't owned by the same groups

Yeah, this was a mess. The current owner of CBC (brewery) was not the owner when they teamed up with Cameron Mitchel. When the restaurant got sold, and then the brewery got sold they were under completely different ownership. The brewery was in real trouble at that point. The new owner really knows his stuff and brought them back from the brink. The last I had heard there was a law suit going on between them to force to restaurant to change it's name.

Dang...when did the restaurant close, the food was delicious.

Their chicken and waffles were legit.

Yeah, this was a mess. The current owner of CBC (brewery) was not the owner when they teamed up with Cameron Mitchel. When the restaurant got sold, and then the brewery got sold they were under completely different ownership. The brewery was in real trouble at that point. The new owner really knows his stuff and brought them back from the brink. The last I had heard there was a law suit going on between them to force to restaurant to change it's name.

Sounds crappy. I didn't know the brewery sold too. Who owns it all now? Is it still Cameron?

Sounds crappy. I didn't know the brewery sold too. Who owns it all now? Is it still Cameron?

No, Cameron got out a while ago. Right now CBC is owned by Eric Bean. I did some poking around in google. Apparently they settled the legal beef about a year ago, and the restaurant was going to change it's name to OxBow on Short. This article has some of the details.

https://www.columbusunderground.com/plans-for-oxbow-on-short-cancelled-as-cbc-restaurant-closes-permanently-ls1

Plans for Oxbow on Short Cancelled as CBC Restaurant Closes Permanently

July 30, 2018 9:02 amLauren Sega Lauren SegaPlans for Oxbow on Short Cancelled as CBC Restaurant Closes PermanentlyPhoto via Google.

Decrease Font SizeIncrease Font SizeText SizePrint This PageSend by Email

Email

When the announcement came that CBC Restaurant would permanently close on Sunday, July 29, it was a surprise to many Columbus diners. The restaurant had only just revealed plans for an interior transformation and a rebrand into Oxbow on Short, expected to open later this fall. Plans changed, according to a Facebook post, due to the health of owner Doug Griggs, who’s been in the hospital for several months.

“Owner, Doug Griggs has been very sick and in the hospital for a few months now, he is currently unable to perform the restaurant remodel from CBC to Oxbow on Short,” CBC Restaurant commented on their original post, answering confused Facebook followers asking about the reopening. “As our hearts are breaking for the restaurant, we ask all of you to send thoughts and prayers to him and his family.”

CBC Restaurant originally opened 21 years ago and has been a Brewery District staple ever since. Originally owned by Cameron Mitchell Restaurants, it changed hands in 2006, then owned by Griggs and business partner Mike Campbell.

They’ve offered traditional American fare for lunch and dinner at their spot at 525 Short St. and had planned on a total remodel and menu revamp.

CBC Restaurant gave relatively short notice of their closure, announcing it just a day before.

“Unfortunately, tomorrow will be our last day as CBC Restaurant. Please come say goodbye and celebrate a great 21 years of getting to know each and every one of you,” their original Facebook post read. “Thank you for all the memories and years of support. We are truly grateful!”

For more information, visit their Facebook page.

Sucks it happened, they had a handful of beers I really liked (obviously i and other's didn't like them enough b/c they're out of business). I did hear a rumor they were canning for other small breweries but that business went away when those breweries built their own canning infrastructure. Maybe that little bit of extra revenue was keeping their head above water?

Either way, there are a lot of good (and a handful of not so good) craft beer choices still around. One I simply can not understand is Platform. Great branding, cool taproom/brewery, absolute terrible beer. I've given several of their beers a taste and tried them on many occasions and none of them are good. I don't understand it.