F3 Sophia Floersch crash.

SpaceGhost

Couple of things,

She broke her back but survived, officials and workers were hurt too.

Watch the official in the orange shirt and blue jeans get hit by the fence and thrown back to the right back corner and then the car comes down on top of him.

Also notice before the wreck the marks where several cars impacted the tires there.

I think it’s stupid they have workers and officials on the OUTSIDE of that turn....

Can’t believe nobody was killed.

Here is another angle in real time:

Looking at this from the standpoint of a person who shoots races for a living I don't know if I would feel comfortable shooting from there. Being on the outside of a high-speed turn or what could be a high-speed turn is asking for trouble.

It doesn't matter what race I'm shooting I always make sure I'm not in a kill box and have a way to escape danger. Being right there you don't have a whole lot of options if the worst-case scenario happens, and it did.

The problem with a lot of guys I shoot with is they get very complacent, personally, I try not to be and sometimes you need a good scare to remind you bad things can happen.

Looking at this from the standpoint of a person who shoots races for a living I don't know if I would feel comfortable shooting from there. Being on the outside of a high-speed turn or what could be a high-speed turn is asking for trouble

This. At first it looks like a great vantage point but the reality is once you think through safety, it quickly becomes clear that it's likely the worse place to be.

Holy shit, man. That looked BAD.

^^ this. Full speeds views of that show how quickly life can go from good to bad/challenging.

First I have seen of this. What happened? Was it just flying through the air so unable to slow down any? Or was is going full speed and not braking for some reason?

from what I recall reading one of the front wheels broke off due to wall hit or curb that I dont recall but then they lost brakes and the rest is in the video.

This. At first it looks like a great vantage point but the reality is once you think through safety, it quickly becomes clear that it's likely the worse place to be.

^^ this. Full speeds views of that show how quickly life can go from good to bad/challenging.

I see guys laying down on the track surface to get low angle shots and it makes me cringe. I stay as mobile as possible, or I'm at a point along the wall where I can just get down if a car goes air born.

Another example is in drag racing where guys go to do parachute shots at the top end. Seems safe right?

Well, depending on the track if the car gets a little wide that parachute basket will come bouncing along and can go over the wall. I saw this happen first hand at Bowling Green last year and after that I took a solid 2 steps off the wall to shoot at the top end and go farther down where these cars aren't moving at terminal velocity.

It's breathtaking and terrifying all at the same time to be close to the track when something goes screaming by at 250 mph then you see a high speed crash and realize how quickly things can go bad and you have no time to react.