Garage builder recommendation?

Buck531

Anyone have any contacts for garage builders around here? I did have some work done to the garage 10+ years ago by Garage Guru's. They did a good job but haven't answered my emails.

Google only comes up with a few other choices but I'm looking to level the current garage and start over with a 3 car.

Inb4whywouldyougaragean800fiero....

I have no recommendations. I'm just here to show support for your wise decision. In the case of garages, bigger is always better.

Thanks. I wouldn't even be thinking about it but the roof is shot (3k to replace) and the cinder block walls are starting to bow like ( ). Previous owner built it in like 74 and he did a janky job.

Buck, are you looking for a stick built or pole barn?

They may do both, but my buddy just had some Amish guys build him a 28x40. He didn't want metal siding, so he had them completely sheet the sides so he could put up siding to match the house. So, 28x40, fully sheeted, metal roof, he paid $12k and they built it in two days! They would have done the concrete two, but he didn't know that soon enough.

I Know this is probably not what you are building, but just for reference. I would glad get the builders info if you're interested.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Buck, are you looking for a stick built or pole barn?

They may do both, but my buddy just had some Amish guys build him a 28x40. He didn't want metal siding, so he had them completely sheet the sides so he could put up siding to match the house. So, 28x40, fully sheeted, metal roof, he paid $12k and they built it in two days! They would have done the concrete two, but he didn't know that soon enough.

I Know this is probably not what you are building, but just for reference. I would glad get the builders info if you're interested.

I'm roughly looking for a 30x30 or a 30x40ish size. Just a stick build. Shoot me a PM with the Info and I can give them a call or what not in the spring. Just looking for a quote for now.

I'm roughly looking for a 30x30 or a 30x40ish size. Just a stick build. Shoot me a PM with the Info and I can give them a call or what not in the spring. Just looking for a quote for now.
I'm doing the same, we are in contract on a house and I'd like to start the shop when the weather breaks.

If he's actually in Gahanna, looks maybe like this.

1147.09 - OFF-STREET PARKING

Each residence shall have garage facilities to accommodate a minimum of two automobiles, however, such facility shall not be greater in square footage than 800 square feet or one-third of the total floor area as defined in Section 1123.23, which structure shall be located on the same lot as the dwelling

https://library.municode.com/oh/gahanna/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTELEVENPLZOCO_TITTHREEZO_CH1147REDI_1147.09OREPA

I'm in the same boat for Columbus when we go to redo our garage, but limited to 720 sq ft.

If he's actually in Gahanna, looks maybe like this.

https://library.municode.com/oh/gahanna/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTELEVENPLZOCO_TITTHREEZO_CH1147REDI_1147.09OREPA

I'm in the same boat for Columbus when we go to redo our garage, but limited to 720 sq ft.

Well Fuck.. Guess I might have to call the city zoning.

There's a house on the same road that had a 34x24 garage out back but it was in 1981. Auditor site says it's 816 sq ft.

Well Fuck.. Guess I might have to call the city zoning.

There's a house on the same road that had a 34x24 garage out back but it was in 1981. Auditor site says it's 816 sq ft.

You can get exceptions. The guy that built the garage behind my house in Hilliard did that. That garage was 700 sq ft I believe.

Edit, to add the house was 900 sq ft

If I can go by the above rules I could probably do a 30x30 or something of the sort. Currently I have a 24x24 detached garage. Just wanted to get something a little bigger and move it to the back of the lot. I have the room back there.

Just need a builder to give me some options and a quote.

It might be best to find a builder that can jump through all the zoning ropes for you. Also, deeper is better than wider in my opinion. If you have to go rectangle, put the door on the short end. And make it tall enough for a lift if at all possible.

I'm wanting a garage built too; a 24x30-ish. I have gotten several quotes and nothing has been under $17K, not including the floor! Such a rip-off because I know more than half of that is labor and it would only take a few days for them to get it done.

I'm looking at possibly doing a metal building from a place down toward Lancaster, Buckeye Buildings of Ohio. It looks like I could get one from them under $10K installed. I'd still have to have someone pour the concrete first though.

I'm wanting a garage built too; a 24x30-ish. I have gotten several quotes and nothing has been under $17K, not including the floor! Such a rip-off because I know more than half of that is labor and it would only take a few days for them to get it done.

I'm looking at possibly doing a metal building from a place down toward Lancaster, Buckeye Buildings of Ohio. It looks like I could get one from them under $10K installed. I'd still have to have someone pour the concrete first though.

I was looking at Menards and they have decentish kits for 10k but like you said, doesn't include labor or concrete. If I do this I'll be having Sam do the concrete.

A friend of mine at work put a 30x40 kit from Menards together but he did it himself. 15k for concrete and his kit was like 12k.

The kit from Menards includes all the wood, shingles, etc. A google search came up with some Garage journal site that said labor would be about the same as the cost of the material (12k). Then you're looking at 15k for a floor. Now you're easily at 45k for a garage. Ugh.

$15k is twice what that slab should cost unless you are looking at special requirements.

Double the material cost is probably a fairly safe estimate for some contractors labor, but can be done much cheaper.

BTW:. You need to join garage journal.

Do NOT get a menards kit.. I helped my friend install his and it was a pain in the ass.. Damaged pieces, missing pieces, etc.. Just contact grabers for a quote.. Amish labor to build my 32x48x14 was 6k, the building I think was 15k the way I spec'd it out. IF you don't want 2 giant doors, overhangs, etc you can make it much cheaper. Sam did my concrete also..

Do NOT get a menards kit.. I helped my friend install his and it was a pain in the ass.. Damaged pieces, missing pieces, etc.. Just contact grabers for a quote.. Amish labor to build my 32x48x14 was 6k, the building I think was 15k the way I spec'd it out. IF you don't want 2 giant doors, overhangs, etc you can make it much cheaper. Sam did my concrete also..

Thanks for the Menards tip.

Grabers? Looks like the closest one is in Illinois or Indiana? Only other one is out east of here and it's hardwood flooring. What's a good number for them?

I also would like to save my newer 18' wide door and opener along with the steel side door and just add a 8 or 9' door on the side. That should help with the cost.

84 lumber has a good sampling of garages on their site. Even if you don't buy from them, it has some good examples.

I'm thinking about this one in either two or three door:

705b63d42f53e866b30a5fbfdd814111.jpgf82cd8a6deaa7f9f60d11abb16ed2f0d.jpg

I'll probably show examples to the Amish builders and see how their prices compare. I'd have to hire labor on the 84 packages anyway.