Cheapest Place locally to get a Snell Rated Helmet?

Geeto67

Hey all,

Looking for a new Snell 2015 certified helmet to use for motorsports events. Most of the places I want to go require either Snell 2010 or 2015 and since 2010 is phasing out soon would rather have the SA2015.

I know about IronPony as a possibility, what about any other local gear places? Isn't there a big cycle gear warehouse just north of here?

Trying to keep the cost around $100 and want local because I want to try it on before I buy.

Also if anybody has a brand recommendation, that would be awesome too.

You're not getting an SA2015 helmet for $100, the bargain basement is $180 and that's a G-Force open face that I wouldn't really recommend. Plan on spending $250-400 for an entry level helmet.

Jegs is your best bet for local to Columbus but I don't know what their stock would be down on 11th. Only thing I've managed to do is call them and pick up stuff from their warehouse in Delaware, but that's really more of a warehouse/shipping facility than a showroom.

Otherwise, you're looking at a trip up to Akron to go to Track-First, or hit up Mid-Ohio at a day they have their pro-shop open.

If you're actually looking for an M2015, then none of the above applies and you probably can go to Iron Pony or something.

So here is a question for the group - do most drag strips/autocrosses let you slide with an M2015? or do you have to have an SA2015 automotive helmet?

I'd rather have an M2015 that I can use for bikes and cars than two seperate helmets for vehicle types. Most of the places I am looking into, plus the HRPT, just say Snell in their literature, it's not specific that it has to be SA2015 or M2015.

What motorsports events?

Planning to do the following (planning does not always equal actually accomplish):

- All the dragstrip/auto-x stops on the Hot Rod power tour

- the PCA/UFO joint Auto-x in June

- at least 1 HPDE if I can find one that works with my schedule.

- at least one bracket night at either NTR or Pacemakers.

I don't have a caged car and I doubt I will be running faster than 12's in anything I would need the helmet to drive.

To answer your cycle gear question, they have a store on w. broad. decent helmet selection, but way fewer than iron pony. I doubt you'll find SA helmets there. I was underwhelmed visiting there after being spoiled by iron pony. YMMV

You’re going to want to spend an extra few bucks on an SA rated helmet if you plan to do any HPDE events. A snell helmet, not M, would be fine for everything else. Iron Pony doesn’t have much if anything in SA rated helmets, as would any other motorcycle shop. Jeg’s, Summit, and Track First are the best options in Ohio. I only have a Snell rated helmet that I found at Iron Pony, but ypu have to pay attention as most of what they have will just have a M or DOT rating.

Good idea to go try them on. Jegs had G-Force and Racequip starting at $180+/- for open face and $200-$200 for closed face. After trying both on, and leaving them on for several minutes, I found the Racequip much more comfortable for the shape of my head. Not as important for autox / drag / track day where the longest you will likely have it on is 20-30 min, but for a 2 hour endurance stint, it makes a HUGE difference. Also, be sure if fits a "little" snug (kind of tight on your cheeks), they do break in just a little bit and you do not want it to slide around on your head.

I bought a SA2015 for HPDE events in 2017 for like $150. Basic black open face. I think its a Zamp maybe? I can look if you're interested. I couldn't find one locally so we just took measurements of my dome and ordered one online. Fit fine.

Jegs or make the drive to support track first. Great people and the best prices.

SA is a higher level rating than m. I’m sure finding one designed for open cockpit or just with good vents would be good for dual use.

Spend the money and get a good one. You only get one head and it seems you can’t spare more trauma.

I'll definitely say, the helmet situation sucks. SA helmets don't make great motorcycle helmets, partly because of lack of features but also because they lack a DOT stamp, if you're inclined to care about that sort of thing (guessing that's not an issue in Ohio outside of military). So I've got a proper touring motorcycle helmet for if and when I buy a bike again, a smaller helmet for the Vespa, and two SA helmets, one for HANS and one for not. If I ever get my dirt bike back that's going to be a 5th helmet, because surprise surprise, SA and touring helmets make shitty dirt bike helmets.

A lot of clubs do offer helmet rentals or loaners, though, so that's worth looking into, especially for a first-time HPDE. I know the PCA and Auto Interests do at least, not sure about NASA.

for what its worth spend the extra money on a helmet. Isn't your brain worth the extra $100?

This....

Skimping on safety gear is the biggest mistake people make in racing in my opinion and experience. I've seen guys get hurt in "slow" cars worse than they should because they wanted to save money.

I'm a fan of RaceQuip and G-Force helmets. I've also had Simpson and Impact.

for what its worth spend the extra money on a helmet. Isn't your brain worth the extra $100?

This....

Skimping on safety gear is the biggest mistake people make in racing in my opinion and experience. I've seen guys get hurt in "slow" cars worse than they should because they wanted to save money.

I'm a fan of RaceQuip and G-Force helmets. I've also had Simpson and Impact.

FWIW, I'm not convinced that high $$$ automatically translates into "good" safety equipment. From what I have seen in a lifetime of riding motorcycles often lesser helmets and even some I would consider downright dangerous just being called helmets have cost as much or even more than real safety gear ( Davida and Altier's Ruby I am looking at you).

In motorcycle helmets I have owned HJC, Arai, Shoei, Bell, Simpson, Davida, Z1R, and KBC helmets. The most expensive ones were the Arai and the Davida - and the Davida wasn't even Snell rated. Toward the cheaper end some have been really quality - my HJC and Bell, and Shoei cost half as much as the Arai and honestly, each one was as nearly as well made in fit and finish as an off the shelf Arai. With some helmets like the Z1R and the KBC you barely get what you pay for which is why they don't cost much. The Simpson is a good helmet but it costs nearly as much as the Arai and isn't any better in construction than a Bell or a Shoei, but you pay a premium for the menacing "bandit" look.

Like almost everyone in this hobby, I am just trying to maximize the value of my dollar - not just buy a certification from the lowest bidder. Being after xmas and just before the new season of motorsports, I am hoping to score quality gear on sale or clearance, or maybe consider a brand that some people consider a better value proposition than some of the higher cost top tier helmets. If you look on track First's website there are helmets that cost $2K, and I would love to know how a $2K helmet is $1K safer than a comparable Shoei, or $1500 safer than a comparable bell or simpson.

Any thoughts on RaceQuip or Conquer? Both seem to have SA-2015 helmets in the $130-$160 range for open face designs and $160-180 for full face. Are they good helmets or barely safety gear?

As general rules, 1) whatever small savings you get from an open face helmet aren't worth the lack of face protection (if you value your teeth), even in an HPDE environment shit flies in through the window and smacks me in the helmet on a regular basis; 2) all SA2015 helmets are going to meet the same safety standards, the price difference is in weight and materials. Both of those primarily affect comfort versus safety, however, 2a) a heavier helmet is going to put more strain on your neck without a HANS device, so keep that in mind, and 2b) you want to be comfortable when you're doing something dangerous.

But again, doing a 1 day HPDE just to see what it's about is different from jumping both feet first into an expensive hobby, so I'd look at borrowing or renting until you really know what you plan on doing.

As general rules, 1) whatever small savings you get from an open face helmet aren't worth the lack of face protection (if you value your teeth), even in an HPDE environment shit flies in through the window and smacks me in the helmet on a regular basis; 2) all SA2015 helmets are going to meet the same safety standards, the price difference is in weight and materials. Both of those primarily affect comfort versus safety, however, 2a) a heavier helmet is going to put more strain on your neck without a HANS device, so keep that in mind, and 2b) you want to be comfortable when you're doing something dangerous.

But again, doing a 1 day HPDE just to see what it's about is different from jumping both feet first into an expensive hobby, so I'd look at borrowing or renting until you really know what you plan on doing.

That's a good point about open face. I was shying away from open face generally anyway because I don't often ride with them, but I figured in car is there really a need for a full face, esp in a car with airbags and without a rollbar/cage, but I hadn't considered the other debris that might make it's way in.