FW1 cleaning wax

blue98ls1

My 2003 Avalanche has a ton of plastic on it. It was fading pretty bad and had a lot of crap baked into the plastic. Brought it inside where I work and we tried several cleaning products on it, nothing really seemed to make it shine again. Just seemed most dried it out even more or made it look shiny until the product was dry. Finally found one that had pretty good results. Did a quick spray down with FW1 and wiped it down and it removed about 85% of the white faded dirty looks of the plastic. Water is beading up off of it like a good wax. Its kind of expensive but seems to have pretty good results so far on the plastic. Going to do another coat on it in a week or so.

Before:

20190126-105517.jpg

After:

20190126-105455-001.jpg

Looks good. Harder to tell from the pics the original and after conditions but I might suggest the following. These are products I use and love.

Since you have the cleaning part done and I'm assuming you have all the embedded and likely dried wax off. If not there are plenty of OTC Products, McKee's Wax Remover is one that is great for was that's been baked in over the years. Based on what I see in your pics, Q2 Trim is all you'll need.

That said, the best stuff I've used is to simply coat it. GYEON's Q2 Trim is excellent. It's my go-to coating that will leave the trim like brand new and it will stay that way for nearly a full year depending on how you care for it. I'll have my own personal observations and testing on life expectancy in spring as my wife's vehicle will be through a full four seasons of use by then.

If the trim for some reason doesn't respond to darkening up with Trim, then look at Solution Finish. It's a dye that will permeate and refinish the plastics with ease. Wipe on, let sit, wipe off. it will seal it up but I still recommend Q2 Trim but you need to wait about 30 days to apply it as the sealant in SF will need to wear down or the coating won't adhere properly.

Lastly, if needed, bring it to me ;)

My old volvo had plastic trim pieces like that. Best thing I ever used to clean it? Peanut butter. It works.

Save that for the sammich...use plain Mineral Oil. It's what I tend to use for removing wax/polishes/compounds if and where needed. Just make sure you clean/prep the surface accordingly if you plan to use a coating on it.