Project XJ - EXTERIOR Detail

TTQ B4U

So I didn't have much time this weekend but I couldn't help but begin the process of bringing the finish back to life.

I pulled the front bumper, grill and headlight surrounds off as it makes for easier cleaning and polishing overall. I also completed the hood and front fenders.

Overall it is covered with oxidized clear coat and muck. My son took hold of the Flex 3401 polisher with a wool pad and I followed next with the Rupes Mille and a yellow finishing pad.

The slightly sad news is the hood has early signs of "crows feet" which is a weakening of the clear coat. It's light to medium in nature so not bad enough to repaint but not perfect. I'm a little bummed but will get over it. It's not going to all be perfect right? I suspect the roof may have some as well but I didn't even get up there yet other than for a quick look-see.

The side panels however are just fine which is great. That said, here are a few shots of what will soon be a full transformation. Next weekend I should have more time to do some 50/50 shots and some before and after vids. The other great news is the paint thickness measures in between 4-5 mils which stock was likely 5-6 if that. Plenty of material to work with.

Starting point - and the photo looks better than it really is. Notice the oxidation, tons of swirls an stains that were set in, likely from soap and car wash stains of water not fully rinsed just soaking into an oxidized clear finish.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/168773403/original.jpg

Results are showing promise. The color is Patriot Blue Pearl and it really shows. This is a great color for an SUV. Some typical Jeep orange peel but overall the paint is correction just as expected.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/168773633/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/168773404/original.jpg

That's all for now, as I'm going to be swamped this week. Saturday next week I'll make quite a bit more progress with plans to hopefully complete all the paint correction leaving Sunday for Coating the paint, trim and glass. Monday marks the day for new tires and wheel polishing and coating.

Edited by TTQ B4U

:eek2:

You seriously need to sell it for a premium and get your son a safe but beat up ride.

I feel bad for the future of this Jeep when given to a fresh licensed 16yo kid.

He's a good kid and so far an excellent driver. He's not getting turned loose until he completes a Mid Ohio Course too.

Still contemplating if I'm going to keep or sell it.

He's a good kid and so far an excellent driver. He's not getting turned loose until he completes a Mid Ohio Course too.

Still contemplating if I'm going to keep or sell it.

Keep it. You'll enjoy it all the more for the deal you got. I could have sold the old 4runner for a huge profit many times, but I can't imagine getting rid of it now. The fact I got it so cheap makes it seem like a win the longer it runs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That blue is really stunning.

Thank you sir. I agree. It REALLY cleaned up nicely and darkened up a shade or two with the coating too.

Impressive as always Tim. Also, not sure if the list is long already, but I would be very interested if this does get resold.

Thanks and noted. I'll post here if I go that route. Will very likely keep it through summer as I continue to refine things with it.

• Tires go on tomorrow
  • I think the steering box has a very small leak but depending on how the repair is set up, if the entire thing has to come out it may just be worth replacing it as they don't seem terribly expensive or difficult.
  • Will likely install a decent BT head unit and tint the front windows to match the rears.