50k to invest

nurkvinny

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget about the taxes that will need to be paid on that income first. Unless it was either handed to you in cash, you found it on the street, or robbed a bank. If it is taxable, depending on how it was received, you will need to determine how much to hold back for taxes.

Don't forget about the taxes that will need to be paid on that income first. Unless it was either handed to you in cash, you found it on the street, or robbed a bank. If it is taxable, depending on how it was received, you will need to determine how much to hold back for taxes.

Another WIN for investment properties here.

Everything, and I mean everything, turns into a write off.

Thanks, this is already taxed.

So I'm curious: How stressful is it to deal with renters / morons / people breaking shit, etc.? My father did that when he was my age / younger and he always had a hell of time with it. He advised me never to do it. I personally enjoy the stress free life of just sitting on my money in the aggressive funds I manage while making an average of 13+%, compare to say 20% and dealing with renters... :confused:

If you enjoy stress free, then your father was right. It’s pretty much another job, unless you hire somebody. You better have good faith in the property manager you hire, and read the fine print of the contract, as they don’t have as much invested as you. Getting non commercial deadbeat renters out of your property is another job and lengthy process within itself.

A 50k investment property probably won’t attract renters that have plentiful bank accounts. You very rarely go wrong with paying off debts, and like has been said before 2.5% is net $1250 year and better than nothing for the time being.

The roth 401k contribution limit in 18 was $5,500 and for 2019 it’s $6,000. If taxes haven’t been filed yet and there is a spouse, that would be another option for a good chunk. I like the real estate option too but I don’t have enough experience (yet) to offer anything on that topic.

The market on F-bodies seems to have hit bottom though.....

Assuming all "bad" debt is covered, decide how soon you need the money.

Within the next couple years? Money Markets or High-yield savings (Ally).

Longer term? Determine your asset allocation (risk tolerance) and invest in low-cost total market bond and stock index funds.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/FundsInvQuestionnaire

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Bogleheads%C2%AE_investing_start-up_kit

$200k?!? You better have some super killer income with all that school. Fuck that’s ridiculous.

Even with consolidation, interest, and my scholarships... the grand total was around $176,000. The worst was the government loans. they started at $62k and then with interest they grew to $92k.

I will be paying this shit back with reduced payments until im ~50 or so.

The price of a B.A. by friend!

Even with consolidation, interest, and my scholarships... the grand total was around $176,000. The worst was the government loans. they started at $62k and then with interest they grew to $92k.

I will be paying this shit back with reduced payments until im ~50 or so.

The price of a B.A. by friend!

Thank you for making a shitty day a little brighter.

Are the bills paid and a retirement plan in place? Another thing to think about is, how old are you. For me, I'm 44 and $50k isn't going to do much on the investment side without what I would feel to be high risk, in order for a change in my financial situation. Going through some life seasons last year, don't overlook living and creating smiles. I push all I can through my work, so I can take time to be with the people I care about and enjoy things with them. If that's a trip, we are going. When my Father passed away last year, it was before I could take him on a big fishing trip. I lost making that memory. Don't spoil your kids with wasted places like Disney, but find what the family likes, get rid of the phones and do it. Someone once shared an outlook with me that I hold now. If your kids are 12 years old, you only have 6 more Summers with them before they become too busy. If your parents are older, say 65, and you only visit them twice a year, and given the average of 78 years old being what people live to, you only have 26 more visits with them. Don't blow the money, but be interested in investing in memories and use some $ as needed. My .02. Pun intended

Thanks Joe. I think a lot like what you shared, but don't act on those thoughts as much as I should.

No bad debt. Retirement looking ok. College for kids looking ok.

Do it man. I’m telling you it feels great. Sounds like you are in a good spot. Feed your family real food and be healthy. Last year I got people together and we spent the day grilling and telling stories and catching up. We blew up a shit ton of fireworks and it was an awesome time. Fireworks are literally burning money. All week people messaged me about how fun it was and they loved the fireworks. Some of the people hadn’t seen each other in a few years. It felt great to get everyone together. That’s what living is about to me. I don’t want to look back and wish I had done more. Good luck.