New Double-DIN stereo? Under $80!

zeitgeist57

I posted this thread just before I bought my '79 Lincoln...

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129298&highlight=head

While I do still need to check out what it would cost to repair the original head-unit, I did some measurements and looked on eBay for headunits that would fit a 4"x7" opening. Here's a pic of what my factory deck looks like:

http://www.autabuy.com/Photos/2017/06/21/33300145_456676892564232_Orig.jpg

Was looking at some other options for cheap...not needing a $400 Pioneer deck...

https://www.amazon.com/Receiver-Bluetooth-Capacitive-Touchscreen-Included/dp/B07HHRMNYB/ref=sr_1_17?keywords=7%22+DIN&qid=1551276642&s=gateway&sr=8-17#customerReviews

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Double-2-Din-Touch-Screen-Car-MP5-MP3-Player-Bluetooth-Stereo-FM-Radio-Camera/292403891130?hash=item4414a14bba:g:3GYAAOSwvjBbIcVg:rk:12:pf:0

Dude, it's crazy how cheap these options have become! I realize they're all China stuff, but all I want is to play Spotify/SiriusXM from my phone through the head unit, listen to NPR on FM. No CDs, no aux inputs, any of that stuff. $80 or less sounds awesome The fact that some of them also come with a backup camera blows my mind as well (not that I need that).

Anyone swap something like this into a winter beater/DD? I realize many of us raided Crutchfield catalogs as "kids"...it's amazing how far the technology has come. :lol:

have you looked at the cost of double din touch screens lately? been half way considering one for the beemer and they are sub $100 with GPS nav, backup camera and everything.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/7-Inch-Car-Stereo-Double-Din-MP5-Player-Bluetooth-HD-Touch-Screen-Car-Stereo-Radio-With-Reverse-Camera-And-Mirror-Link-Function/809108558?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=128412&adid=22222222227247206194&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=290607365188&wl4=pla-494160770144&wl5=9021706&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=125207006&wl11=online&wl12=809108558&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrta7ybPc4AIVgRlpCh1Zug4dEAQYAiABEgKSR_D_BwE

you know what might be a fun project for this land yacht Clay? ditching the side view mirrors and wiring up side view cameras with the screens inside the car. Would clean up the lines of the car to not have to pretend we don't see those giant chrome side view mirrors.

I bought one similar to the second link for my BRZ about 2 years ago. It was in the $300ish range though. It was Android though. Im assuming thats the price discrepancy.

It works okay'ish. In your case I will say the FM tuner is pretty weak. Weaker than any other HU Ive had in any car. In my case I typically tether my phone to it and use internet radio, etc.

I probably shouldn't comment about anything else on it since you're not looking at and Android unit. But Id be concerned about the FM/AM in your case.

I have a double din given to me by a neighbor when he upgraded one. I'll take measurements when I get home and let you know the size.

Thanks, Rick <3

There's some wiggle room in the dash opening, so I'm flexible. I'll likely have to get a generic install kit to fill the last 1/4" gap with black plastic.

have you looked at the cost of double din touch screens lately? been half way considering one for the beemer and they are sub $100 with GPS nav, backup camera and everything.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/7-Inch-Car-Stereo-Double-Din-MP5-Player-Bluetooth-HD-Touch-Screen-Car-Stereo-Radio-With-Reverse-Camera-And-Mirror-Link-Function/809108558?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=128412&adid=22222222227247206194&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=290607365188&wl4=pla-494160770144&wl5=9021706&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=125207006&wl11=online&wl12=809108558&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrta7ybPc4AIVgRlpCh1Zug4dEAQYAiABEgKSR_D_BwE

you know what might be a fun project for this land yacht Clay? ditching the side view mirrors and wiring up side view cameras with the screens inside the car. Would clean up the lines of the car to not have to pretend we don't see those giant chrome side view mirrors.

Kerry, check the second link I posted. I've definitely noticed the sub-$50 ones on eBay/Amazon.

The camera idea is clever, but I'd have more money invested in cleaning up the bodywork and integrating screens for the rear views than just keeping the mirrors...which I don't mind.

I bought one similar to the second link for my BRZ about 2 years ago. It was in the $300ish range though. It was Android though. Im assuming thats the price discrepancy.

It works okay'ish. In your case I will say the FM tuner is pretty weak. Weaker than any other HU Ive had in any car. In my case I typically tether my phone to it and use internet radio, etc.

I probably shouldn't comment about anything else on it since you're not looking at and Android unit. But Id be concerned about the FM/AM in your case.

Thanks for the feedback. I realize sound quality and radio range HAS to suffer at this price point. I wouldn't be too upset as the speakers need upgrading too.

THIS would be baller, and period/style correct for the Lincoln! :cool:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-panasonic-CQ-tx5500W-made-in-Japan-radio-vacuum-tube-mp3-AUX-In-/333080654263

panasonic-cq-tx5500w-p848b-1.jpg

What size speakers? I have a set of four 6 x 9 OEM speakers out of my 12 F150 that I removed years ago when I upgraded the system and just found them couple days ago tucked away into a box. You can have them if you like and could use them in the land barge...

Can’t you just get one of those Lepai mini amps and run your phone from RCA to whatever is on your phone? Leave the stock head unit in there and either run separate speaker wires. They have remotes and AM/FM and are usually around $40. They also have Bluetooth ones.

Free shit...I'm not picky.

I think the doors are 5.25" and the rears are 6x9". I did rears in my old '78 and the sound difference was amazing.

Thank you, Brian!

Next time you go to C and C, shoot me a text and if I'm going that day, I'll grab the speakers to bring.

Can’t you just get one of those Lepai mini amps and run your phone from RCA to whatever is on your phone? Leave the stock head unit in there and either run separate speaker wires. They have remotes and AM/FM and are usually around $40. They also have Bluetooth ones.

So...I knew there were things like this, but didn't know a brand. I see them now...

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Amplifier-Tsumbay-Motorcycle-Supported/dp/B06Y5R3V7X/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=lepai+mini+amp+car&qid=1551311401&s=electronics&sr=1-3

My problem is that the interface from phone to speaker is a bit of a guessing game. Definitely an option that I'll look into. Thanks!

Next time you go to C and C, shoot me a text and if I'm going that day, I'll grab the speakers to bring.

Thanks again!

On a similar note to the last couple post, I use this in my C10 and it works well. Pretty inexpensive (<$150). The "display" you could hide just about anywhere and the amp is small. I didn't hide mine but used this because I didn't want to cut the dash or the trim.

GE4gdPjl.jpg

k8ID1m5l.jpg