Ohio front plate law, again (HB 62)

BuckeyeROC

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10.5c (19c diesel) per gallon increase.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2019/04/02/ohio-lawmakers-vote-gas-tax-hike/3312585002/

Here's to hoping they spend that extra $865mil a year wisely.

That sucks, but also thought more fees were also being discussed. Let's hope not.

I'd rather pay the random $115 fine than a perminant tax increase forever.

True. But they were going to raise the tax anyway. I hate it, you hate it, but there is nothing we can do about it. I'll take the front plate removal.

I'm frustrated that the change is taking so long to go into effect. Hopefully, in May or early June my wife's new Alfa will be delivered. It sucks that we're going to have to drill into the bumper to mount a front plate for 13 months and then be left with nothing but holes for the rest of the life of the car.

You dont have to do that. Just drive the damn thing or get a tow-hook mount for the time being

The tow hook mount that actually keeps the plate out of the way of the parking sensors is like $100. The cheap mount causes the parking system to fault out every time you start the car. I mean, in the end I'm pretty sure that what we'll do is just get the expensive mount and then sell it on the Alfa forum once we don't need it, but it still is annoying.

Given the number of times I've been pulled over for having a front plate but just not having it in a way they liked means I don't think she'd make it a year without getting at least one ticket, sadly.

Tow Hook Mount = $100. Can sell it later when no front plate is needed.

Drilling into front bumper, THEN repairing drill holes = $200?

No front plate, no care = Free

2 "No Front Plate" tickets in the next 13 months? = $90 :gabe:

No front plate with the risk of a ticket is still cheaper than the mounting options (tow bracket or drilling bumper). Could you also zip-tie it to the grille?

Given the number of times I've been pulled over for having a front plate but just not having it in a way they liked means I don't think she'd make it a year without getting at least one ticket, sadly.

Man, I've been pulled over twice for no front plates in the last 20 years. The last time was because I was leaving a bar and he was hoping to get a DUI out of me. After walking the line, touching the tip of my nose and blowing, I got off with a warning. Perhaps you should stop looking so suspicious all the time!

I'd imagine that they'll start being a little less strict now knowing that it is going away.

I definitely would not put a front plate on that Alfa

Man, I've been pulled over twice for no front plates in the last 20 years. The last time was because I was leaving a bar and he was hoping to get a DUI out of me. After walking the line, touching the tip of my nose and blowing, I got off with a warning. Perhaps you should stop looking so suspicious all the time!

I've been pulled over twice in the same month before for having a plate they didn't like. The first time it was a normal Ohio plate but I had it folded up so just the numbers and county sticker showed (keep it out of the airflow to the radiator). Then I unfolded it and they pulled me over because they had a hard time seeing it with the light bar on the front of the car. I actually got pulled over 4-5 times in the course of about 3 years for that one. Every time they'd pull me over, walk up to the front of the car and look at the bumper, suddenly look really surprised, then run my license and registration anyway just to see if they were going to get lucky.

Yeah with it being such a short time, buying and flipping the bracket or just putting it on the dash I think is how we'll handle it.

I've been pulled over twice in the same month before for having a plate they didn't like. The first time it was a normal Ohio plate but I had it folded up so just the numbers and county sticker showed (keep it out of the airflow to the radiator). Then I unfolded it and they pulled me over because they had a hard time seeing it with the light bar on the front of the car. I actually got pulled over 4-5 times in the course of about 3 years for that one. Every time they'd pull me over, walk up to the front of the car and look at the bumper, suddenly look really surprised, then run my license and registration anyway just to see if they were going to get lucky.

Yeah with it being such a short time, buying and flipping the bracket or just putting it on the dash I think is how we'll handle it.

that's the trick they use in New Albany. A former guy on my team had a dropped gti and they always pulled him over the front plate wasn't straight, not folded, or sitting on his dash.

What other new fees have they added to this bill?

Other fees in the bill? Yes $200 registration fee for Tesla and other EV owners on top of the $40+ fee for the sticker each year. Funny Larry Householder stated to the media the gas tax will cost the average Ohio person $55 a year. Yet they hit EV cars with a $200 a year tax. And if you own a Hybrid you get to shell out $100 extra at yearly registration and you get to pay the gas tax as well. I can extrapolate what I drive each year in my American V8, and look like this will only cost me $75-$80. Suck it hippies. LOL

All this despite the 3 billion the state has in it’s rainy day fund. And a Budget surplus thanks to John Kasich. I miss him, even if he has chicken legs. Saw him in shorts one day eating out with his security detail. Crazy to see the Governor out eating in a restaurant in shorts and a t-shirt. In Mid March with 6” of snow on the ground. LOL

Also the bullshit of this bill in the “no front plate mandate” it doesn’t take place until July 2020, the Gas tax is in place July 2019. I Bet that someone drafts a bill that will strip the no front plate requirement from this bill by 2020, and it will never be legal in Ohio to not have a front plate.

Edited by Benjamin

I was pulled over last year by a Delaware county sheriff on a Saturday morning taking my Daughter to a travel Softball tryout. It was out of the blue, top down, not speeding, driving down county line road west almost at Cleveland Ave. He walks up to the car and asked me “Where did you get that plate?”

My plate is COY07E

I replied “What?”

He said I ran your plate and it comes back as “invalid”. Where did you purchase this illegal plate?

I asked did you type in COY ZERO SEVEN E?

He says yep, where is your registration?

I said in my glovebox, May I get it?

He says yes

I get it and hand it to him, he says he will be right back.

Comes back and says I see what the problem is. The plate is COY ZERO SEVEN E.

ME “Facepalm”

Him nice car, have a nice day.

He almost made us late.

And no front plate on the car! LOL

• 3 weeks later...
Kind of makes you wonder what Clay's up to with that Amazon link......

Trying to help smokin5s with his bird problem! ;)

Really REALLY bright, LED strobe lights with motion activation.

Scare the birds away, or give them a seizure.

https://www.amazon.com/XKTTSUEERCRR-Emergency-Vehicle-Strobe-Warning/dp/B00MN9DNNW/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=strobe+led&qid=1556110369&s=gateway&sr=8-13