C8 Corvette

Gergwheel1647545492

It happened in the test mules which are expected to reveal design flaws. Development of a model line doesn't stop when the first unit rolls off the production line. Numerous revisions are performed during the life of the line and some are done after for various reasons. I'd be glad that such a structural weakness could be found during the early, pre-production stage, let GM sort it out. If it's anything, I'm glad that the powertrain-drivetrain and suspension are up for such a power level.

These are in line with previous rumors which claimed that the C8 will use a twin-turbo V-8 to achieve hypercar-like performance, with acceleration so "frightening" that GM has supposedly consulted with lawyers about the potential risk of selling something so fast.

This was literally the dumbest sentence in the whole article and proof that most of the article is hype and bullshit.

I don't even want to work on them. Nothing sounds fun about mid engine

I was surprised how horrible changing belts on a 6.0L CTS-V was. If there’s any reliability to the powertrain, I’m sure it won’t be as bad as mid-engines exotics that needed engine-out maintenance every 15k-30k miles :lol:

It's a space frame, how many other GM's have space frame? Ummm, that would be about zero. We're talking about "two fat blokes from Kentucky" here, they're figuring it out. Give it time.

Hasn’t GM been making space frames since Saturn in the late ‘80s?

Hasn’t the C5 Corvette been hydroformed frame rails since late ‘90s?

Saul Goodman. They’ll figure it out. :thumbup:

Hasn’t GM been making space frames since Saturn in the late ‘80s?

Hasn’t the C5 Corvette been hydroformed frame rails since late ‘90s?

Saul Goodman. They’ll figure it out. :thumbup:

What about a Saturn is a space frame? Basically just another unibody. I’m not sure how GM is designing this new thing because they’ve never really referred to anything as a space frame. Maybe I’m wrong?

Starting with the C5 and ending with the base model C6 they used hydroformed frame rails that ran from the front bumper support to the rear bumper. C6 Z06s, C6 ZR1s, and all C7s use a multi piece aluminum frame with different sections welded together. They are a few different things, extruded aluminum rails, with cast aluminum sections where the front and rear suspension, ie cradles, are.

What about a Saturn is a space frame? Basically just another unibody. I’m not sure how GM is designing this new thing because they’ve never really referred to anything as a space frame. Maybe I’m wrong?

Starting with the C5 and ending with the base model C6 they used hydroformed frame rails that ran from the front bumper support to the rear bumper. C6 Z06s, C6 ZR1s, and all C7s use a multi piece aluminum frame with different sections welded together. They are a few different things, extruded aluminum rails, with cast aluminum sections where the front and rear suspension, ie cradles, are.

I think clay was confusing monocoque (which includes uni-body) with "space frame". Saturn was a monocoque that they hung plastic body panels on, as opposed to cars like the camaro which were uni-body and the rear quarter panels and tail panel were the outside finished body.

To be fair, most high end road cars like lamborghini are monocoque chassis with bodies laid over them, and then some space frame sub assemblies for added rigidity. See the Ferrari F12 chassis below:

http://www.moibbk.com/images/ferrari-f12-berlinetta-engine-2.jpg

It looks like a body on frame car, but technically it is a monocoque because the floor pan is part of the frame and is structural.

A true space frame car is something like a porsche 917:

917-spaceframe.jpg

or the chassis on a tube frame ducati:

Frame.jpg

the problem these days, is that the terms have become somewhat interchangible, because you have some motor-journalists that don't really know the definition of either and use the terms interchangeably.

I have no doubt that the new C8 is going to be a monocoque with some small space frame sub assembly structure, because that is how the higher end mid engine cars like the aventador and ferrari 488 are made (see the x-style cross bracing in the engine bay - that is probably what is bending when they are talking about the cars bending "frames"):

Lamborghini+Aventador+Chassis+04.JPG

A153067_full.jpg?1439377623

http://www.saturnfans.com/cars/what-spaceframe

Spaceframe....monocoque....supercar...:gabe:

Kerry probably got confused cause he used to be a journalist and they don't use the terms properly according to Kerry

Anybody who buys a first-year C8 has questionable intelligence. It's gonna be a shitshow.

This needs to be posted more

http://www.saturnfans.com/cars/what-spaceframe

from that link:

Saturn's S-Series were built on a spaceframe design that surrounded the entire care with a steel safety cage. The design proved to be very effective in many types of high-speed and rollover crashes. The L-Series cars had what Saturn called an "enhanced" spaceframe. This was essentially a hybrid spaceframe-unibody architecture. A unibody design uses a car's exterior shell to provide all structural support.

So it's not a "true "space framed" framed car. The S was a unibody car with an exterior roll cage that they hung all the body panels on, and the L was a monocoque with space frame bracing.

Those cars came out at a time when the exotic's were also toying with monocoque space frame hybrids and I imagine this is GM's marketing pushing the buzz word "space frame", because raceccar, when it really wasn't a true space frame in the pure sense. They did this with the Fiero also prior to the Saturn and do you know how much of the Fiero uses a "Space Frame"?

This much:

http://images.fieroforum.com/pffimages/spframeconv.jpg

Now do you know what GM built that does have a true space frame and not a hybrid monocoqe/spaceframe? here's a hint:

1984-Corvette-structure.jpg?resize=350%2C200&ssl=1

Now do you know what GM built that does have a true space frame and not a hybrid monocoqe/spaceframe? here's a hint:

1984-Corvette-structure.jpg?resize=350%2C200&ssl=1

If that’s a space frame then it’s no wonder the new shit is breaking with decent power.

And yes I’m just fucking thrilled, any of this shit comes to Dan Tobin it will be forced upon me. I can only imagine the bullshit coming. I’ll gladly bitch about it in the future so you’ll all know what’s up with them.

:lol: I love Scott's critical view of GM products.

Someone in UA asks me what I think about the GMC Acadia...I say that I have it on good authority you don't want to be holding the note on any of GM's Lambda stablemates after 100k miles. Then I channel my inner Cordell and bitch about transmissions, brakes, wheel bearings...

Usually it's more technical than they were expecting to hear.