Starting a new thread..what about the x3

Mace1647545504

2012 xdrive28i is the 2.0 I4 turbo. It's a nice engine. My mother has one she bought CPO and she loves it, had no major issues so far. It makes 240hp so it boogies.

All I can tell you is buy the lowest mile one you can find. At 100k miles BMW's usually need a metric ton of service and then they are good for another 100k (or explode). I've owned 6 of them now and each generation has needed more service than the last at 100k.

'12-'13 are becoming notorious for timing chain failures. I think most of them have extended coverage but you'd have to verify. If you get me the vin I can check for you.

I specifically bought my wife an '11 with the more reliable N52 6 cylinder. There are a few early '12 models that have this engine as well. Similar power (not as torquey) and maybe slightly less mpg's but way more reliable long term.

The 11 is gonna be the same as a 12 or 13 aside from that. It still gets the ZF 8 speed and everything else pretty nice about the F25 chassis.

I do like the N20 as we had one on lease in an X1 and she liked that car but I wouldn't own one long term. And I work at the dealer..

Not a fan on the longevity side of things. All I'm going to say here is that a Pre Purchase Inspection is going to be the smartest thing you could possibly do.

The newer turbo motors are plagued with oil leaks, it's the number 1 complaint when they come in. Plus you now have to mind the carbon build up due to direct injection. Ignition coils are also super common to randomly fail. Electric water pump failure rate is high, etc.

I have not been impressed.

'12-'13 are becoming notorious for timing chain failures. I think most of them have extended coverage but you'd have to verify. If you get me the vin I can check for you.

I specifically bought my wife an '11 with the more reliable N52 6 cylinder. There are a few early '12 models that have this engine as well. Similar power (not as torquey) and maybe slightly less mpg's but way more reliable long term.

The 11 is gonna be the same as a 12 or 13 aside from that. It still gets the ZF 8 speed and everything else pretty nice about the F25 chassis.

I do like the N20 as we had one on lease in an X1 and she liked that car but I wouldn't own one long term. And I work at the dealer..

Any Issues with the '14 and up ones? or is it too early to tell? I think my mother has a '14 that was CPO in 2016. she bought it with under 20K miles on it and it probably has maybe 40-50 k on it now. She's been making noise about trading it in but I told her to keep it - if she's driving a time bomb maybe I should give her a call and tell her to dump it.

Any Issues with the '14 and up ones? or is it too early to tell? I think my mother has a '14 that was CPO in 2016. she bought it with under 20K miles on it and it probably has maybe 40-50 k on it now. She's been making noise about trading it in but I told her to keep it - if she's driving a time bomb maybe I should give her a call and tell her to dump it.

Too my knowledge they didn't update any of the parts in later models. Im surmising the 12's and 13's are poking their heads just due to age and mileage. If I owned one I would change the oil more often than the recommended interval. Whether that does any good or not Im not certain, but it definitely wouldn't hurt trying to keep the chains and guides happier with fresh oil.

Too my knowledge they didn't update any of the parts in later models. Im surmising the 12's and 13's are poking their heads just due to age and mileage. If I owned one I would change the oil more often than the recommended interval. Whether that does any good or not Im not certain, but it definitely wouldn't hurt trying to keep the chains and guides happier with fresh oil.

About what mileage are you seeing timing chains fail?

About what mileage are you seeing timing chains fail?

These are the last 5 that we've done. Doesn't necessarily mean these are the averages. (I just dont keep track of all the details)

96k (2013)

85k (2012)

49K (2015)

39K (2014)

57K (2012)