Landscaping help

2 Sweet

So I'm trying to get my yard under control after years of neglect, but I don't know the first fucking thing about landscaping. There's supposed to be a raised bed of mulch up by the house, but part of it has been completely overtaken by weeds/grassy bullshit that looks next to impossible to pick out.....

0lD889Pl.jpg

In this section pictured above, I don't want anything but mulch. Not even any plants/flowers, at least not this year. So can I just spray the fuck out of it with Roundup, then add a few inches of mulch over top? Or will it all be back again next month if I don't completely dig this shit out? I would rather not start from scratch, I just want a clear mulch bed and I'm hoping I can smother this bullshit and stay on top of it going forward.

pull all that shit out, all garden liner, then mulch. Another option is still clean it out, put soil down, then grass seed. I regret putting down as many flower beds as a I did and having to maintain it.

Only way to get rid of it is to use a ton of fire. Good luck and be safe. (not liable for anything)

EDIT: Seriously just dig that shit up. Rent/borrow a tiller to break it up. Pull up like four to six inches of it. Put down a garden liner as Chris said and put some soil/mulch down.

No need to pull it up, till etc if your not planting anything there and just wanting a raised mulch bed. Draw out a design along the house where you want the mulch and grass to stop spray round up on the area wait a few days and mulch right over it.

1) mark off the area you want to mulch/no vegetation

2) buy several bottle of round up

3) spray the round up along the boundary

4) turn the soil over in that area

5) round up it again

6) in a week or so repeat step 5 several times

7) put weed block down then mulch

In a month or so you'll be able to mulch it but will still need some round up

No need to pull it up, till etc if your not planting anything there and just wanting a raised mulch bed. Draw out a design along the house where you want the mulch and grass to stop spray round up on the area wait a few days and mulch right over it.

Should I put liner down before the mulch?

Also, if I plan on eventually putting in a plant or flowers or whatever (next year) is this still the best route?

Round up, wait 5-7 days, mulch over, wait 5-7 days, round up. No liner needed if you are planning to plant stuff there down the road.

Awesome. Simple enough :thumbup:

Thanks for the responses everyone

1) mark off the area you want to mulch/no vegetation

2) buy several bottle of round up

3) spray the round up along the boundary

4) turn the soil over in that area

5) round up it again

6) in a week or so repeat step 5 several times

7) put weed block down then mulch

In a month or so you'll be able to mulch it but will still need some round up

Your making way to much work out of this. Also do not use that weed block fabric shit. You will regret it when time comes to plant flowers, shrubs,etc. Round is a systemic works on contact only so no need to turn soil over and respray. Maybe respray in a few days if anything is not dying.

Awesome. Simple enough :thumbup:

Thanks for the responses everyone

It's hard to tell in that photo, but if you have a basement, mulch doesn't push water the same way dirt does. If you need to get more grade at the foundation, add dirt, then mulch.

Brian's the expert on this stuff. He and Carrie just did a miracle on my landscaping and his expertise saved me a boatload of money and work.

Thanks again, Brian. I owe you one.

Glad to get it all back in shape. Your landscaping is defiantly over the top in plant material and design.

BrianZ06

Between the advice from someone who has spent an entire career in lawn care and with the recommendation of Doc if you don't take BZ's advice you're pretty much just throwing your time and/or money away.

...but that's just my $0.02.

BrianZ06

Between the advice from someone who has spent an entire career in lawn care and with the recommendation of Doc if you don't take BZ's advice you're pretty much just throwing your time and/or money away.

...but that's just my $0.02.

yea can't get any better than that honestly. I'm just a weekend hack when it comes to this.

Weed block is a future nightmare. Round-Up, wait a few days, lay down some big cardbaord sheets, cover with mulch.

The cardboard will keep anything that comes back from poking through for a few months until it is all dead. By the time you are ready to plant the cardboard will be pretty much gone or you can just tear a hole in it and plant through it.

I agree with Brian here. K.I.S.S Spray it until it's dead. Likely 2 applications 1 week apart then mulch it. I would edge it but I have a touch of OCD. ;)

Down the road you can till it and mix in some good stuff for making a planting bed out of it.

I will second Brian's advice for sure. I've been splitting/transplanting hostas around my property and I'm finding garbage-bag-thick plastic weed barrier in some of my beds. I'm using a trowel to poke holes so I can plant the hostas but of course I'm wondering what the heck that is doing to drainage and the soil.

I also am clearing a bed to just mulch over, and sprayed it with Roundup. I was pissed when it looked like it didn't do anything after a bit but it definitely gives weeds a slow death. A week later and I'm going to lay down another spray before getting mulch. Hoping it doesn't affect some mature trees that are sharing a couple of these beds...