Whisky

Robochan

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you've fantasized about dropping a few thousand dollars on a bottle of rare Scotch, you might want to re-think that investment. Scientists have found that half of the bottles of aged single malts they tested were not as old as their labels suggested.

:lolguy: x ∞

Aged whiskey/whisky isn't worth "a few thousand dollars", much less fakes that have fooled "professionals" and "connoisseurs". NONE of it. El. Oh. El.

It's all dick swinging. Buy a Ferrari you never drive and be done with it.

• 2 weeks later...

This seems like a cool place to visit and I like a lot of what she says. It's refreshing to hear it from someone in the industry and who has taken the time to educate herself and know her product. Too bad it's in CT. Maybe a road trip would be fun.

Edited by Otis Nice

I can’t stress this enough.

If you are criticizing ALL whiskey that is rare/expensive/touted ... and your palate is not yet developed. You will eat those words when your palate IS developed.

There’s no doubt that overpriced whiskey exists. However, there are many that are worth the price of admission once your palate catches up to speed with what you read/watch on the internet.

There are also great cheap whiskies out there. Knob creek is letting people pick single barrels that are 14/15 years old. Fantastic (non-complex) stuff for 45.00. That whiskey can’t hold a flame to the stuff that was sourced by Willett/BT in the late 2000’s from Bernheim. Stuff is mind-bending in comparison.

Also, that video was very nice and basic. Great level-101 stuff. But It only scratched the surface.

There are also great cheap whiskies out there. Knob creek is letting people pick single barrels that are 14/15 years old. Fantastic (non-complex) stuff for 45.00. That whiskey can’t hold a flame to the stuff that was sourced by Willett/BT in the late 2000’s from Bernheim. Stuff is mind-bending in comparison.

Funny you say that. I just got in on a group order for a Knob Creek 14 Year from WineAnthology. I had a 10 year that I enjoyed, so I’m looking forward to this one.

Funny you say that. I just got in on a group order for a Knob Creek 14 Year from WineAnthology. I had a 10 year that I enjoyed, so I’m looking forward to this one.

I have a pick (Prohibition in Powell) that tastes like straight blackberries. It's unreal.

I don't disagree, Bob. As I said before while I've tried a lot, read a lot, watched a lot, and learned a lot, I understand I'm not an authority on bourbon/whiskey. I have a lot left to learn. What I do know is myself and if I can get a good whiskey or bourbon that I enjoy for $25-50 I don't care HOW good the $5k bourbon is it isn't worth it TO ME. :lol:

I drive a POS 1982 F100. I could afford a nicer, newer, vehicle. I simply don't want to pay for one even though I make more now than I ever have. I'm still not paying even over $100 for a whiskey regardless of its worth. I've been fortunate enough to try a few higher end bourbons, whiskeys, whiskys, and more. I have never once thought one was so great it was worth the high price point. That's just a personal preference and I understand that about myself. If that's my having an undeveloped taste I can live with that. :)

We're just different in that regard. I respect what you're saying because I believe you know what you're talking about and have more experience. It's just not my thing. That's all. I'm cheap (a.k.a. poor). :lol:

I don't disagree, Bob. As I said before while I've tried a lot, read a lot, watched a lot, and learned a lot, I understand I'm not an authority on bourbon/whiskey. I have a lot left to learn. What I do know is myself and if I can get a good whiskey or bourbon that I enjoy for $25-50 I don't care HOW good the $5k bourbon is it isn't worth it TO ME. :lol:

I drive a POS 1982 F100. I could afford a nicer, newer, vehicle. I simply don't want to pay for one even though I make more now than I ever have. I'm still not paying even over $100 for a whiskey regardless of its worth. I've been fortunate enough to try a few higher end bourbons, whiskeys, whiskys, and more. I have never once thought one was so great it was worth the high price point. That's just a personal preference and I understand that about myself. If that's my having an undeveloped taste I can live with that. :)

We're just different in that regard. I respect what you're saying because I believe you know what you're talking about and have more experience. It's just not my thing. That's all. I'm cheap (a.k.a. poor). :lol:

I

CANT

WAIT

TO

FLIP

YOU

when you try the real high end shit.... call me when you think your palate is ready!

Prohibition did a pick?

Have you had any of the Weller FP picks that showed up last month?

Prohibition does quite a few picks.

I have sampled about 5 different Weller Full Proof picks. they are good. Not worth the secondary price of entry when you can get Weller 107 picks for 1/3 the price.

I

CANT

WAIT

TO

FLIP

YOU

when you try the real high end shit.... call me when you think your palate is ready!

Ha! Well, I'll take you up on your offer. I don't know how I'll KNOW when my palate is "ready" but I've been tasting and reviewing whiskey/bourbon for about a year and a half on a nearly weekly basis at this point.

I'd like to have you on a podcast episode where we do our reviews. Maybe you can enlighten us and our listeners.

Ha! Well, I'll take you up on your offer. I don't know how I'll KNOW when my palate is "ready" but I've been tasting and reviewing whiskey/bourbon for about a year and a half on a nearly weekly basis at this point.

I'd like to have you on a podcast episode where we do our reviews. Maybe you can enlighten us and our listeners.

What’s the podcast?

What’s the podcast?

Buckhorn Podcast.

It's def not strictly about bourbon or whiskey. It's really just us sitting around BSing about anything and everything we feel like. We just tend to review something with most every show save for January where we both took a month off from drinking. DJ and Derek have both been on recently. We like having different guests. We have no scripts and no plan. If folks listen great. If they think it sucks (like many have told me it does :lol:) awesome. We just do it for shits and giggles. :)

I have sampled about 5 different Weller Full Proof picks. they are good. Not worth the secondary price of entry when you can get Weller 107 picks for 1/3 the price.

That's great to know. I've been trying to get up that way to check it out. Trying to get my neighbor to go out and try one of the FP picks as well. I can't really get into Weller stuff sadly. SR is okay for the price, 107 is now WAY overpriced. Did enjoy some CYPB over Thanksgiving, though. Everyone goes gaga over their product, but it's not winning me over.

Nice, i had to fight the temptation on that one. I just got a 15.5 year pick. I'm not loving it yet, hoping it was just an off night for me. I need to find more RR picks.

Agree, i have had a couple and they were good but not worth the secondary price. However it seems secondary is correcting on them now as more are hitting the market.

Buckhorn Podcast.

It's def not strictly about bourbon or whiskey. It's really just us sitting around BSing about anything and everything we feel like. We just tend to review something with most every show save for January where we both took a month off from drinking. DJ and Derek have both been on recently. We like having different guests. We have no scripts and no plan. If folks listen great. If they think it sucks (like many have told me it does :lol:) awesome. We just do it for shits and giggles. :)

Bob would be great on a podcast. I'll have to check out your podcast also.

Nice, i had to fight the temptation on that one. I just got a 15.5 year pick. I'm not loving it yet, hoping it was just an off night for me. I need to find more RR picks.

I went back and forth as well, but I freed up a little space on my bar and I needed something new. :gabe:

Bob would be great on a podcast. I'll have to check out your podcast also.

I agree and feel free too. PM me any feedback, criticism (good or bad, I can take it), or any ideas. :)

Yes, where can I get access to unique bottles like single barrel picks that are >$500.

Why don't ya pick up the damn bottle you had me get that you paid for a month ago and I've been hauling all over Ohio first? :lol: This thing is gonna be aged in a gloss bottle another 15 years before you get it. lol

Greater than 500 bucks? What are you looking for?

Personally I'm looking for ones greater than 500 bucks that are less than 50 bucks.

Edited by Otis Nice

I agree and feel free too. PM me an feedback, criticism (good or bad, I can take it), or any ideas. :)

Why don't ya pick up the damn bottle you had me get that you paid for a month ago and I've been hauling all over Ohio first? [emoji38] This thing is gonna be ged in a gloss bottle another 15 years before you get it. lol

Personally I'm looking for ones greater than 500 bucks that are less than 50 bucks.

Lol, yeah, I need to get that. I just happened to switch to a special project working 10's at the airport right after you picked it up. Just taste it and tell me if it's worth a trip, lol.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk