Whisky

Robochan

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now you're talkin' my language.

Blanton's, Eagle Rare, and Buffalo Trace, along with all thing's from the BT distillery, are hard to come by. I find them in the smaller towns but with Blanton's I'm usually still on a waiting/call list.

The Kroger on 665 in Grovetucky is a good spot for things like Weller's, Jefferson's, Knob Creek of all varieties, etc. They get their shipment's on Thursday's (unless that's changed in the last couple of month's) and are a good spot. There is also the Giant Eagle in GC that may have a decent selection depending on the day.

For the real hard to get things (most times) travel to The Party Source in KY. They have a great selection.

Some of my fav bourbons/whiskey's/whisky's that I would put up with any other are, in no particular order: Blanton's, Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, Whistlepig, Elijah Craig, Two Bitch (out of Nevada), Virgil Caine (out of the Carolina's), Woodford Reserve, Nikka Coffey Grain (out of Japan), Four Roses, Knob Creek, Weller's Reserve and Weller's Antique 107 (and the more expensive Weller's options), Heaven Hill Green Label (really any Heaven Hill for the price), Knob Creek Smoked Maple, Gentleman Jack, Hudson Manhattan Rye, Tullamore Dew, Bulleit, Ancient Ancient Age, Maker's Mark, anything from Jefferson's (particularly their Ocean's Voyage 3, my all time fav, but check out the story behind the Ocean's Line), and others. There are so many distillery's brands that have so many varieties that it's hard to name them all offhand and in a rambling.

Some of those are cheap as hell and great for sipping or mixing. Some would get you slapped in most circles if you didn't have only neat or on the rocks. Either way, all of those have their place IMO.

Also, it's good to know the difference between "whisky" (as your thread title states), "whiskey" (as you mentioned in your thread), and bourbon...unless you just don't care. :lol: That's fine too. I don't care either way. If someone knows what they like they know what they like.

In the end it comes down to trying many and seeing what you like. I like Ancient Ancient Age at ~$13/bottle and Jefferson's Ocean at ~$75-100/bottle when concerning the taste/drink type and price.

Not a huge bourbon fan, I just try to keep a few good bottles around for friends. What would be your recommendation for some other types of whiskey? Canadian (crown), Irish (Jamo), etc... I'd like to dabble in some other blends or find better examples of these.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I’ve never cared much for bourbon either. Jameson has been my go to whiskey for years. I also enjoy some of the Crown Royal lineup, their reserve is really good. Definitely interested in trying some of these and will keep them in mind the next time I’m out looking.

Those of you who are obviously more into this then me, are there better ones for drinking it neat? I prefer mine neat. IMHO Jack Daniels and Jim Beam varieties aren’t horrible but most are just good for taking shots and getting drunk because I can’t stand drinking them.

On another note, if you ever find yourself in or around Chicago check out Binny’s Beverage Depot, huge selection and very nice liquor store chain in the area.

The Hills Market in Worthington has a solid selection of bourbons. I second the Jefferson Ocean Age, that is my favorite. But at $90/bottle it is not my daily bourbon. OPA in Delaware has whiskey/bourbon/scotch tastings once per month and the guy that proctors the tastings is incredibly knowledgeable.

I too was all into bourbon for the longest time. I still enjoy it, but then I started buying Jameson, some other Irish whiskeys, and now I really enjoy scotch. Tastes a lot less sugary-sweet than bourbon does.

Laphroaig anyone? I cant get enough of this stuff.

I did some distillery tours with my dad a couple months ago, it kinda soured me on things like Blanton's, which we saw getting bottled at Buffalo Trace but couldn't actually buy anywhere. Realizing that many of these brands, and almost all of the small batch/single barrel products are recent creations to capitalize on bourbon's popularity and not necessarily the work of ancient artisans is somewhat disappointing. That's not to say they're not good, or even that they're not worth the money, but it made me feel a lot better about the fact that I really just enjoy sipping Bulleit Rye at $19 a bottle or whatever it is when it's on super sale.

Anyway, from what I gather buying booze in Ohio sucks because government. If you want anything from the class six I go about every month but their selection is limited and they don't have a lot of high end stuff. I've gotten Eagle Rare there before, had a bottle of Wild Turkey Longbranch that was all right all right all right, and they have Woodford/Bulleit/Maker's Mark products in large quantities. I'm happy to bring back extra bottles.

Try jungle jims in cincy..when we where doing some testing a few years ago we used their store number a lot as they have a very large selection.

I agree with the CR reserve and the Woodford, try 46 also..all taste different..great sippers.

As far as a cheap mixer I go with R&R reserve. Not a good sipper but a really good cheap mixer

Laphroaig anyone? I cant get enough of this stuff.

I was hanging at a good friends' house and pulled a bottle from the rack, helped myself to some scotch. Had a funny name. Threw it over some rocks.

The wife hustles over and grabs my glass...proceeds to pull the ice out with her fingers. I make a "my bad" face when she explains - with pictures on her phone - how they traveled Scotland and showed me this huge barn with "Laphroaig" on the side.

Enjoyed a slightly watered-down 3-finger pour of Laphroaig. Not used to the peaty-ness yet. But it was good. Definitely unique. Heard the price and process to make it...will not try again. :D

I was hanging at a good friends' house and pulled a bottle from the rack, helped myself to some scotch. Had a funny name. Threw it over some rocks.

The wife hustles over and grabs my glass...proceeds to pull the ice out with her fingers. I make a "my bad" face when she explains - with pictures on her phone - how they traveled Scotland and showed me this huge barn with "Laphroaig" on the side.

Enjoyed a slightly watered-down 3-finger pour of Laphroaig. Not used to the peaty-ness yet. But it was good. Definitely unique. Heard the price and process to make it...will not try again. :D

Haha good story!

At $50 for the regular stuff it isnt too bad. But yeah it is one peaty SOB

I saw Woodford being a heavy sponsor of the Kentucky Derby...then saw some ad for the Preakness playing "Old Town Road" and showing some Becky's in their derby getups whooping for the camera.

LOL at Bourbon being the new party lube. Gettin' white people funky since Eighteen Seventy Forever. :lol:

I used to buy Bourbon Supreme for my dad. It was $25 for the gallon plastic bottle. I got him crown once and he said it was too fancy. I’m interested in the choices but I’ve always had a hard time spending a lot of money on good booze.

Starting to get into Whiskey. What’s the best place in town to get stuff like Blantons and others that giant eagle doesn’t carry?

Kroger usually has a decent selection up here in Delaware surprisingly, but you've got to be there when they get their delivery or your SOL. I was able to get some Buffalo Trace recently, but I had a friend find me some Eagle Rare a guy was selling on a Facebook group after a month of running to different stores. Rarer stuff is going to be tough to get.

Best thing to do is find a local distributor and become friends, or find the groups on Facebook to join and keep an eye out for anything you'd like. Might pay a few extra bucks, but it might be worth it instead of waiting and driving all over the place to find it.

*Edit* Four Roses Small Batch and Single Barrel are both very good and seem to be more plentiful.

I side more with the premium Scotch's myself but I drink all the brown-brown except spicy ryes or sea-salt shit. Two good one's that won't break the bank are Jameson's IPA Casket m8s and Bird Dog (Peach). I also like most the Glens, Macallans and Old Forester for go-to's.

Subbed for info. Just started learning and enjoying whiskey and bourbons last year, did the bourbon trail past summer and had a blast visiting 5-6 distilleries and learning all about the process.

If y'all ever get down to the Woodford Reserve portion of the trail, do yourself a huge favor and stop by Glenns Creek Distillery. It is just down that road, past the new Castle+Key (no bourbon yet, but their Vodka is fantastic). Get some OCD#5. It is amazing. Super strong stuff. Kind of reminds me of scotch which is probably why I love it so much.

https://glennscreekdistillery.com/ocd5/

Not a huge bourbon fan, I just try to keep a few good bottles around for friends. What would be your recommendation for some other types of whiskey? Canadian (crown), Irish (Jamo), etc... I'd like to dabble in some other blends or find better examples of these.

If you're asking me I haven't dabbled too much into Canadian and Irish whiskey/whisky's. Crown is mid tier at best IMHO and I do mean humble. I'm no expert. I just know what I like. Crown is ok for me. I wouldn't take it over any I mentioned above save for maybe AAA but AAA is a fine bourbon for ~$13.

I’ve never cared much for bourbon either. Jameson has been my go to whiskey for years. I also enjoy some of the Crown Royal lineup, their reserve is really good. Definitely interested in trying some of these and will keep them in mind the next time I’m out looking.

Those of you who are obviously more into this then me, are there better ones for drinking it neat? I prefer mine neat. IMHO Jack Daniels and Jim Beam varieties aren’t horrible but most are just good for taking shots and getting drunk because I can’t stand drinking them.

On another note, if you ever find yourself in or around Chicago check out Binny’s Beverage Depot, huge selection and very nice liquor store chain in the area.

All of the bourbon's/whiskey's I've ever had I've first tried neat, on the rocks, then sometimes in a drink (Manhattan, Old Fashioned, etc). Any I listed above I'd recommend neat with some of my tops being, in no particular order save for the last one: Whistlepig, Virgil Caine, Two Bitch, Blanton's, Eagle Rare, Woodford, Weller's, Knob Creek Smoked Maple, Nikka, HHGL, Bulleit Rye, and my personal favorite, Jefferson's Ocean (really cool story behind this one).

Well, I stopped just to not repeat the list. I guess I like them all but these ones are my absolute first choice when given.

The Hills Market in Worthington has a solid selection of bourbons. I second the Jefferson Ocean Age, that is my favorite. But at $90/bottle it is not my daily bourbon. OPA in Delaware has whiskey/bourbon/scotch tastings once per month and the guy that proctors the tastings is incredibly knowledgeable.

Yeah, it's not cheap. I've seen it as low as $75. That's why I offered options such as Ancient Ancient Age (NOT Ancient Age, which is a lesser aged mixer) and Heaven Hill at around $13 all the way up to JO and everything in between. A lot of what I listed is very affordable. Weller's Reserve at ~$22 and Weller's Antique 107 at ~$25 is the absolute best bang for the buck IMO.

Thanks for the heads up on OPA. I'll have to try and check that out.

I dislike drinking amongst people like that. I tend to ask that anything high end I buy not be mixed with Coke Zero or something dumb and tried neat or on the rocks first but I won't be a snob about it with friends. If I offered it as a gift it's just that...a gift. I just may not offer the good stuff to someone twice. :lol:

I used to buy Bourbon Supreme for my dad. It was $25 for the gallon plastic bottle. I got him crown once and he said it was too fancy. I’m interested in the choices but I’ve always had a hard time spending a lot of money on good booze.

May I recommend Heaven Hill Green Label or Ancient Ancient Age (if you can find it)? Ancient Age isn't the WORST thing but it's better as a mixer IMO.

*Edit* Four Roses Small Batch and Single Barrel are both very good and seem to be more plentiful.

Agreed. Not bad at all and available most anywhere.

I side more with the premium Scotch's myself but I drink all the brown-brown except spicy ryes or sea-salt shit. Two good one's that won't break the bank are Jameson's IPA Casket m8s and Bird Dog (Peach). I also like most the Glens, Macallans and Old Forester for go-to's.

:wtf: Claims "sea salt shit" then suggests kool-aid flavored swill? :lol:

Kidding. Everyone has their own taste. I've tried almost all of the Bird Dog's once. Once. Won't buy them again. That being said I also wouldn't turn it down if offered. :lol: Maple was my favorite but there are better out there if you want flavored. Again, that's just my opinion. YMMV.

As I said these are just my meager opinions and should be taken as such. Everyone may not agree. At the risk of plugging it once again we typically review a bourbon (or sometimes beer) per episode on Buckhorn Podcast and usually right toward the beginning so you can bail after that if ya want. lol. I know podcasts aren't for everyone but this seems relevant so...shrug.

Y'all also might be interested in Bourbon & Beyond. Really great chance to see some great bands and try a plethora of beverages.

Well I was gifted crown royal a few years ago and tried regular Jack, gentleman’s and honey. Wasn’t a fan and haven’t tried much until recently when I had an old fashioned and Manhattan. Since then I tried some more stuff on the rocks. I had jack single barrel, four roses, Maker’s mark cask strength and this past weekend I had a pour of Little Book. I have liked all those and wanting to try more. I haven’t had scotch yet but will eventually when we go back out sometime.

Randy listed a LOT of brands, and I do agree that many are good. However, Central Ohio fucking sucks for pretty much anything from Buffalo Trace. I have not seen Blantons on the shelf in over 2 years, and am on several "Waiting Lists". Buffalo Trace makes a TON of alcohol, mainly know for their bourbon (in my opinion). They make Rain Vodka as well.

Their cheap shit is Benchmark Bourbon and is a DAMN good mix with Coke. Others are the variations of Pappy, Blantons, Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, Weller's the assorted Ancient Ages.

I'd suggest Woodford Reserve, as a starter. It is available nearly "everywhere", and is a solid contender. IMO, it has less "bark" to it than Maker's Mark, and goes well neat, or on the rocks. The price is nice too.

:thumbup:

KillJoy