WTF was the doctor from Mt Carmel thinking

Mace1647545504

I watched the news conference this morning and the more I listen the more I can't understand what was going through his head. AND the people around him, really no one thought what he was doing was wrong.

He will go to jail, there is precedent set with Dr. Kavorkian killing patients even with the patients consent.

Ive heard theories that he was prescribing massive doses, give enough to kill the patient, then instead of wasting it, they would pocket the remainder to sell. Honestly it sounds more probable than just killing tons of people for fun

Keep in mind the story is a bit skewed. It's hard to tell what exactly happened (though I'm sure the charts say). Some of the people got 1000+mcg of fentanyl, but it doesn't specify over how much time. Was this a drip? A push? It makes a difference. If he ordered large dose IV pushes, then he's stupid and so are the nurses (I know a couple of them). If they were on a vent and getting several boluses for whatever reason, then that's a different story.

Either way, some folks are going to go down hard. Court of public opinion and all. Also, don't come crying to the healthcare community when your family member is in pain because our hands are tied from legislation that will probably sprout from these events.

I'm curious to see how this plays out.

The nurses would be better off at this point claiming they falsified their documentation and were actually pocketing it. Probably too late for that though. Or, just don't be an idiot in general.

Maybe he was just trying to make some cash?

http://www.npr.org/2019/06/05/730173846/opioid-maker-insys-admits-to-bribing-doctors-agrees-to-pay-225-million-settlemen

"Insys Therapeutics, an opioid manufacturer, has agreed to pay $225 million to settle the federal government's criminal and civil investigations into the company's marketing practices. As part of the settlement, Insys Therapeutics admitted to bribing doctors to prescribe its opioid painkiller."

Keep in mind the story is a bit skewed. It's hard to tell what exactly happened (though I'm sure the charts say). Some of the people got 1000+mcg of fentanyl, but it doesn't specify over how much time. Was this a drip? A push? It makes a difference. If he ordered large dose IV pushes, then he's stupid and so are the nurses (I know a couple of them). If they were on a vent and getting several boluses for whatever reason, then that's a different story.

Either way, some folks are going to go down hard. Court of public opinion and all. Also, don't come crying to the healthcare community when your family member is in pain because our hands are tied from legislation that will probably sprout from these events.

I'm curious to see how this plays out.

The nurses would be better off at this point claiming they falsified their documentation and were actually pocketing it. Probably too late for that though. Or, just don't be an idiot in general.

You are correct, but either way they gave too much and people died. It could have easily been avoided too.

If the people involved, on the medical side, didnt know how much fentanyl it takes to kill someone, then they need to find another job. That's not an excuse.

I'm not a knee jerk reactor here either. I have experience in pharma and have been given fentanyl many times for various surgical procedures, so I'm familiar with that end of it too.

It's too bad that everyone is focused on the doc and not on the grieving families as well.