Colorado For Colorado

Bigbird

Howdy strangers! I'm gearing up to move from DC, out to Colorado in a couple of months. Got a 4 year controlled tour assignment I couldn't pass up. The wife thinks I need something bigger than my Focus, and I've had a couple recent issues with it that the dealership can't seem to figure out. So I'm looking at getting a Chevy Colorado. I really just want crew cab, V6, and 4x4. Everything else is whatever. I'd prefer new, which brings me to my question (knowing there are a few GM mechanic types here), are the 8-speed automatics as bad as some people say?

I know that the internet can be a bit of an echo chamber, and you're going to hear the angry people speak up more. Some people I've seen say that with the new TSB out to change the fluid, it's fine. Others say to avoid the 8-speed altogether. Does anyone here have input?

The transmission is the primary issue on newer GM trucks where I see people bitching about it almost daily. 1-2 shifts can be pretty hard sometimes and another common issue is torque converter shudder which makes you feel like you're driving over a shallow rumble strip. GM's "fix" is to replace the trans fluid. There's currently a class action lawsuit over it.

I have an 8-speed in my Silverado and only have a clunky 1-2 shift sometimes, otherwise it's been alright. Having the 6.2 makes me overlook things though.. kinda like having a fat girlfriend who gives great head.

Want a smaller truck rather than a full-size. Colorado seems like the best value for the money. I know Frontiers are the cheapest, but that interior is terribad. Tacomas are more expensive and looks like less rear space (have 2 kids, both under 5 at the moment, but still a consideration). And Rangers don't really have rebates yet. Only issues I've seen with the Colorado are transmission, and that seems hit or miss.

Denver has 330 days a year of sunshine...

If you’re going to go “midsize” (because even then they are friggin’ huge), I would go with a Gladiator so you can get a bed, removable hardtop, stick shift, and still have a great interior. Plus, you’ll be able to sell it if need be and enjoy strong resale value.

I don't hate them. But the wife does. Let me do some research, I didn't even realize they were out yet.

Edit: quick autotrader search shows them at ~44k, I can get a z71 Colorado out here for 29k sooo...

Why do you need something bigger than a Focus? That is, what hobbies is this thing supporting?

^^ Good question here. Also, shortbed or longbed? And no interest in the baby duramax diesel? My best friend has one that he loves. Fantastic mileage and towing for a mid size truck.

^^ Good question here. Also, shortbed or longbed? And no interest in the baby duramax diesel? My best friend has one that he loves. Fantastic mileage and towing for a mid size truck.

Some light towing. Camping with our kids and dogs. Trips to home Depot and such. I like the way the short bed looks better, but I wouldn't be opposed to long bed. I'll be honest I don't know much about diesel at all. Other than the fact that it's more expensive. Like I said, I can get a brand new V6 4x4 Z71 out here for right at 29-30k, and that's very appealing.

Camping with 2 kids and 2 dogs in a Colorado? Count me out. They're really small on the inside.

It's minivan time.

No no hahaha not in it. Packing it up and taking it up into the mountains and camping in a tent. Maybe some light trail riding, very light.

No no hahaha not in it. Packing it up and taking it up into the mountains and camping in a tent. Maybe some light trail riding, very light.

Well yeah, how are you getting into the mountains? You're cramming into something the same size as a compact car and throwing all your gear in the bed. Dogs will be sitting on kids laps, gear is exposed....

Minivan is the ultimate lifestyle vehicle.

When I moved out here to Colorado I ended up selling my Silverado because I couldn’t register it here because of emissions with the 6L swap. I ended up buying an STI for a fun car, and an really nice t100 truck to take out in the mountains. I think a fun car and an older 4Runner or something similar would be better than a new truck. Off road here is a lot different because there are so many rocks instead of dirt/mud like you’re probably used to. I looked at a lot of trucks/suvs before I bought my truck. I decided I’d be better off with something I wasn’t always worried about scratching or scraping up against a big rock. After buying and doing all the maintenance that was never done to it (timing belt/water pump/oil pump and all new suspension everything) and new tires(BFG A/T KO2)I have less than $5500 into it. I also dd it most of the time to work.

I would wait until you get out here before you get something you think you want and wish you hadn’t later. We go out to the mountains every weekend and I wouldn’t want a new truck to go to some of the awesome places that are out here.

Where are you going to live in Colorado when you get here?

Personally I would say Tacoma quad cab. It fits the wife and I plus 3 13 y/old boys great. I looked at a Colorado and wasn't happy with the seating position felt like it sat too low (like a car). The Frontier wasnt bad if you got the PRO X4 models and the engine has more pep than the Tacoma (didnt have that throttle by wire lag) As for the Jeep truck they look great but for the money a base one is more that a base Tacoma 4 door off road which gets you a rear locker. The Tacoma auto trans can be a bit picky but from what I have read there are several TSBs to address issues with gear hunting in the higher gears. But you also have a manual option which I love with mine. The only real complaint most have are the stock tires are too street-ish.

YfVoAEn.jpg?1