Keeping a Black car clean...

1Quik7

We just picked up a mint 2012 Escalade Platinum and its Black...the wife was pulled into some 'coating' Facebook page where they spray your car and the water and dirt just 'disappears'. It was like $500 and its a spray-on application. Just seems like nonsense. The car already has a cherry wax job, better than some of my old show cars, feels like satin (I wouldn't be surprised if it already had some kind of sealant).

I said I'd ask my fellow car nerds what's the best top-coat or whatever to keep a Black car somewaht clean.

What do you guys use? I know a couple are professional detailers.

There isn't anything that's magically 100% dirt-dust-mud proof. Pollen would ruin a freshly-washed black finish within 15 minutes without driving. Ceramic or glass coating helps, but it's not a "spray-on" application and it requires a top-notch fundamental paint-correction work or the flaws will be sealed.

I use V07 as an enhancer for the last several years. This is water-based, so it's reapplied after every wash. The nice things about V07 are the quick application requiring very little rebuffing (only when applied too thick) and it actually enhances bare plastic trims, even textured ones. Application adds about 10 minutes to my washing process.

If you need a reference for paint correction, glass coating, and clear bra, just let me know.

Made a duplicate post so I'll fill it with some other good options in addition to my post below.

Ceramic Wise: CarPro, GYEON, 22PLE are ones I use and like

Sealant Wise: Polymer Net Shield. Closest to a coating in terms of performance. Lots a great choices though. Collinite 476 is the longest lasting traditional sealant. Finish Kare 1000P is excellent too, especially in summer

Wax Wise: IMO nothing beats Wolfgang Fuzion. Pricey as fuck but it's amazing. Pinnacle Souveran Paste is the next best thing and close to the Fuzion results. Both are show car waxes that are solid products.

Edited by TTQ B4U

Key to great looks, especially on black, is all in the polish and refinement of the finish. I state that as people seem to always be in search of what is going to yield them the best gloss and while coatings and waxes as Last Step Products (LSP's) are good and can add to it, the gloss is mostly in the polishing work done prior to sealing it in.

Coating wise, no, what you're seeing in terms of hydrophobic and self cleaning ability is not hog-wash. You're welcome to stop by my place today as I'm not only coating an F150 (well worth the look-see regardless as it's bad-ass) but I can show you on any of my vehicles what a hydrophobic coating can do. Here's a short video of my car wearing one of the entry level GYEON coatings even and it's performing great. I test out all the products I use on my vehicles first before I use them on customer cars. When done, ask several here who now do this, you'll dry your vehicle with a leaf blower in less than 2 minutes. Josh and his Tesla can share what it's like and he parks his car outside as he doesn't have a garage. Eric is addicted to the Hydrophobic Result on his M5 :)Ben is a believer and a crazy man with a leaf blower now too. David has experienced the self cleaning and easy cleaning properties too.

Don't spend $500 on bullshit facebook crap though. Stick to the major players of which there are several. I stick to both CarPro and GYEON Products. I'll let the many I've coated here chime in with how it works and they stay clean. Many already have in their respective threads. Again, no magic in staying clean longer, when a clear coat surface is fully leveled/corrected and then topped with a hydrophobic layer of coating, it's going to shed dirt and water far better than any average "wax job" that most people apply.

They key to a coating though is no different than a wax or sealant, it's hydrophobic and self cleaning properties lie within the slick smooth contaminant and leveled out finish. If you park under a tree and let sap fall all over it, you have to remove that sap from the coating. Over time road grime and film will build up on a coating too. They aren't magical products that are 100% Teflon all the time. When I coat a vehicle, I also provide day-forward tips and tricks and some detail spray that will work to keep it perfect and super slick.

The reason why coating applications can be costly isn't in the cost of the product themselves, it's in the prep/polishing/correction, etc. work. On black you especially want to have someone with experience though as otherwise you'll run into smudges and high spots everywhere. It's no secret why most of my details tend to be black or dark colored vehicles. It's tough to get them perfect and people don't like doing them for that reason.

The key to removal without removing the coating and causing swirls is in the technique. That I can show you for day-forward. You're going to need to learn it as we're in Ohio and come spring, after a winter of muck, you'll need to do this step. Here too, I can show you on my wife's car as hers isn't entirely contaminant free as I've not had a chance to do hers for spring/summer 2019 yet. It's still fully coated, looks great, sheds water, etc. you will clearly see that, but it needs a refresh and clean up and if I do just one panel, you'll see that too.

Hope the above helps.

Check out Reflective Surfaces and my full portfolio there then text me if you want to stop by or have questions. I'll be in the garage working most of today.

I'll leave you with a few thumbnails - click them for larger size of what black should look like when done right ;) Again, many more in my portfolio section along with references.

small.jpg

small.jpg

small.jpg

small.jpg

small.jpg

small.jpg

Reflection Shots off various panels of vehicles I've done

small.jpg

small.jpg

small.jpg

small.jpg

Edited by TTQ B4U

More praise for (Tim and) ceramic coating. What used to take me 3 hours to wash/detail my cars now takes 1 hour as I no longer have dirt, bugs, tar, etc embedded into the surface to scrub off. Which also means less abrasive scrubbing, marring, swirling, etc. And I used to use sealant and wax.

The hydrophobic phenomena is legit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well then...Tim just schooled me in detaling. :) I feel so inadequate now.

I've done wet clay and polished my speedy cars before but the whole 'sealant' is somewhat new to me.

Can you also recommend a brush? Had a california duster but it put swrils in my paint on older cars.

Can you also recommend a brush? Had a california duster but it put swrils in my paint on older cars.

dust wise, if the car has been driven I wouldn't use one. Sitting still and just getting garage dust on them, I wouldn't use one unless you had a ceramic layer on it. Again, they don't make a car scratch resistant but they do help keep marring from such things at bay. Use nothing more than the weight of the brush. product wise, I don't have a recommendation as I don't use one. Instead, I waterless wash mine.