Air Compressor Dudes Check in and share your thoughts

TTQ B4U

Looking to add a compressor for a pretty straightforward need related to my detailing work. Long story short, it's only going to be used a couple times per week for about an hour each run. So nothing really heavy duty. Both of these units meet the specs for the tool which is 4.5cfm at 90psi. Tool will operate between 75-90psi for optimum performance.

I'm looking to stay at 30 gals as the footprint these both have is perfect for my space. It's question of value vs any net-gains from their differences. I don't mind spending more on a nicer unit but if benefits of doing so won't necessarily impact me then I'd rather not as that wouldn't make sense.

Looking for some bit of an education on these and any others you might suggest. Thanks in advance!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-30-Gal-175-PSI-High-Performance-Quiet-Portable-Electric-Air-Compressor-C303H/206532808

or

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-KOBALT-30-Gallon-Portable-Electric-Vertical-Air-Compressor/1000528965

Would stray away from the Husky (or any oil free compressor for that matter) as it is oil-less. Coatings on the moving parts often wear pre-maturely and cause catastrophic failure. That also being said, I used a HF 29 gal comrpessor https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools-compressors/air-compressors-tanks/29-gal-2-hp-150-psi-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-61489.html for 5+ years in my shop before upgrading to an 80 gal system (woodworking, metal working, mechanics, HVLP painting etc) with zero issues at all, so that may be a viable option as well.

Would stray away from the Husky (or any oil free compressor for that matter) as it is oil-less. Coatings on the moving parts often wear pre-maturely and cause catastrophic failure. That also being said, I used a HF 29 gal comrpessor https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools-compressors/air-compressors-tanks/29-gal-2-hp-150-psi-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-61489.html for 5+ years in my shop before upgrading to an 80 gal system (woodworking, metal working, mechanics, HVLP painting etc) with zero issues at all, so that may be a viable option as well.

Good feedback. Again, I'm not compressor knowledgeable but am learning and figured the oiled route was better for longevity. This Next one looks like the step up from the one above? Again, you're doing more in terms of work with it. I'll use it for inflation, quick jacks, and various Tornador Cleaning tools. Not more than a couple times per week really and light use. Thoughts on this one?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-30-Gal-155-PSI-Ultra-Quiet-Portable-Electric-Air-Compressor-C302H/206695048

I've used an oil less Craftsman for ~ 20 years that's still kicking for whatever that's worth. I will say pay extra to get one that's quieter. Mine will wake the dead when it runs in the garage.

haha! yeah, I've heard some old ones that were loud as hell but these new ones all seem pretty quiet. I'm going to do a bit more reading and getting to know them as I want to make a good decision but not go overkill. $300 isn't much but once I step up to $700 or more I need to make sure it's not going wasted on my needs for it.

I'm in a mood now as I always lead with buying what seems to be the better quality stuff but honestly, even that shit fails. I have a $500 polisher that just went down yet my other brand $400 units have been going for 5+ years without even a brush change in them. Nothing today is really made like it used to be and "long life" out of anything is a joke anymore it seems.

Good feedback. Again, I'm not compressor knowledgeable but am learning and figured the oiled route was better for longevity. This Next one looks like the step up from the one above? Again, you're doing more in terms of work with it. I'll use it for inflation, quick jacks, and various Tornador Cleaning tools. Not more than a couple times per week really and light use. Thoughts on this one?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-30-Gal-155-PSI-Ultra-Quiet-Portable-Electric-Air-Compressor-C302H/206695048

That one looks like a winner for your intended use. One thing I forgot to mention is noise with the oil-less compressors. If portability of the compressor in your garage/shop space is a must item, disregard this next portion.

For less that ~$50 you could plumb 1-3 dedicated air drops to outlets or hose reels in your garage and add to that 30 gallon capacity a bit also. I added a 3" SCH 80 PVC air header fed directly from the compressor after my cooler setup, along the center ceiling of my shop, then added 4x 3/4" trunk lines and dirt legs off of it with air hose reels on 2 of them. Makes for a cleaner floor/work space without tripping over hoses, allows you to run different pressures on different circuits, and doesn't cost much at all to do. Just some food for thought.

we discussed this a while back and i was in the HD camp because the compressor was made by Campbell-Hausfeld and has been for a long time, where as Loews' captive brand Kobalt switches out white label mfgs pretty regularly (they were CH, and then Coleman Powermate which I think is inferior, and I don't know who makes them now). Dad's got a CH compressor in his garage that he and I used heavily and it's still going strong 20 years on.

I'll be honest though. I've had some good experience with harbor freight compressors once you service them. Central Pneumatic is not a captive brand for HF, which means they aren't a built to a price point compressor like a captive brand would - what they are is a corners cut compressor and usually where the biggest corner cut isn't on quality of parts but on quality control of the mfg unit (Someone in the auto parts industry once told me that QC is 40% of the cost of most parts). If you can get a good look at the unit, ID the potential failure points, and service it before use you'll probably get the same use out of it as any other. I have 5+ years out of my HD pancake compressor and it hasn't given me a single problem.

we discussed this a while back and i was in the HD camp because the compressor was made by Campbell-Hausfeld and has been for a long time, where as Loews' captive brand Kobalt switches out white label mfgs pretty regularly (they were CH, and then Coleman Powermate which I think is inferior, and I don't know who makes them now). Dad's got a CH compressor in his garage that he and I used heavily and it's still going strong 20 years on.

I'll be honest though. I've had some good experience with harbor freight compressors once you service them. Central Pneumatic is not a captive brand for HF, which means they aren't a built to a price point compressor like a captive brand would - what they are is a corners cut compressor and usually where the biggest corner cut isn't on quality of parts but on quality control of the mfg unit (Someone in the auto parts industry once told me that QC is 40% of the cost of most parts). If you can get a good look at the unit, ID the potential failure points, and service it before use you'll probably get the same use out of it as any other. I have 5+ years out of my HD pancake compressor and it hasn't given me a single problem.

Again, for the cost, relative quality, and ease of replacement/warranty, I second the HF route if you don't go with the HD model. Either way you should be good to go!

As a guy who buys tools for my "business on a budget" I like to buy cheap "HF" or some other brand the first time and if I find that I actually use it I upgrade. I'm hoping by doing that I learn what I really need and how the tool will be used so that when I go spend real money I know what I'm getting into.

Having said that I have one of the HF 5 gallon compressors I picked up ~15 years ago for $40 and it just recently had a few of the pressure switches/whatever fail. I bought new parts and replaced them and its back to functioning again.

IMO if your air tools don't demand a lot of power just get any compressor and spend the money elsewhere if your really gonna use it that little.

I have an older 30 gallon lay down compressor I’d like to get rid of. I just got a 60 gallon stand up and have no need for 2. I can drop it off with the girlfriends car that needs detailed.

I may take you up on that as I may have a use for it as well. Thanks! Text or call me for the detail on her car. Booking for the weekend of Sept 13th.

As a guy who buys tools for my "business on a budget" I like to buy cheap "HF" or some other brand the first time and if I find that I actually use it I upgrade. I'm hoping by doing that I learn what I really need and how the tool will be used so that when I go spend real money I know what I'm getting into.

IMO if your air tools don't demand a lot of power just get any compressor and spend the money elsewhere if your really gonna use it that little.

^^ that's the route I'm leaning thus why the $300 Husky one has my eye. For $45 I can buy the warranty that takes it out 4yrs too. By that time, even if it's still doing strong, I may do like most car guys do and upgrade anyway :p

+1. Good guidance here.

https://www.harborfreight.com/27-gallon-200-psi-oil-free-professional-air-compressor-56403.html

Spent two minutes on http://www.hfqpdb.com and found a coupon for $399...but it's oil-less.

3630_ITEM_27_GALLON_OIL-FREE_PROFESSIONAL_AIR_COMPRESSOR_1566261150.5322.png

Here's a better capacity compressor and oil-lube, and a coupon for $339.

https://www.harborfreight.com/29-gal-2-hp-150-psi-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-61489.html

86_ITEM_2_HP__29_GALLON_150_PSI_CAST_IRON_VERTICAL_AIR_COMPRESSOR_1563986776.4878.png

Both of these units meet the specs for the tool which is 4.5cfm at 90psi. Tool will operate between 75-90psi for optimum performance.

funny things about CFM ratings for compressors is they run on marketing bullshit

Yeah, that compressors pumping 4CFM @ 90psi... cept thats 4CFM intake, and you're really actually looking at less than 1CFM tank side.

funny things about CFM ratings for compressors is they run on marketing bullshit

Yeah, that compressors pumping 4CFM @ 90psi... cept thats 4CFM intake, and you're really actually looking at less than 1CFM tank side.

Agree, thus why I'm looking at units that are above the tools requirements. I have talked with them too and their suggestion was 5cfm ratings were good for the tool.

Sounds like you need a basic 30gal craftsman. I used that for many years.

In my home shop I upgraded to a big Quincy and couldn't be happier, it's a beast and made in the usa with parts readily available. Unlike most store bought compressors now are made in China and parts are hard to get.

So looking over things it seems like something along this line will be what I may end up be best getting in order to have the unit keep up with the 4.5cfm (with 1.5x factor = 6.5cfm) tool requirement.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Maxair-25-Gal-Portable-Electric-Powered-Air-Compressor-P4125H1-MAP/203174885

Am I correct in that by going more powerful here it will not only keep up with a constant use of the tool but simultaneously be able to refill the recovery tank and then shut off for a period of time? Clearly my goal is to stay within a 50% duty cycle as to not kill the damn thing.

The way I figure it, I would charge the tank run it and then use it for likely 5-7 minutes at a time likely, then pause as I finish the task either extracting or wiping up the area cleaned thus allowing for the compressor to rest.

It's a big jump to just over $1,200 with a 2yr warranty & then another 3yr on-site HD warranty but it will be worth it if it's able to run without issues.

I'm guessing you have a height limitation in the desired space, but vertical is much cheaper. I'm very happy with my Ingersoll Rand. Both 60 gal models push more scfm at significantly lower price. Oh, and "assembled in the U.S.A.".

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/ingersoll-rand-ss5l5-5-hp-60-gallon-high-capacity-air-compressor?cm_vc=-10005

Typical CR fasion, we're at different models over twice the price of the Op. Lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I'm guessing you have a height limitation in the desired space, but vertical is much cheaper.

Typical CR fasion, we're at different models over twice the price of the Op.

^^ it was a hieght / space issue, but I took some time last night and today to resolve it and go with a larger unit. LOL on the pricing right? Well, it was really about space and value but in the end, go big or go home right?

why portable? if you are going to go 220 and that big, why not just go for a 60-80 gal standup unit? It will actually be cheaper.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-80-Gal-3-Cylinder-Single-Stage-Electric-Air-Compressor-C801H/203187346

^^ agree. I went after to look them over and this is what I'm going with to close it out and move onto getting it set up.

Thanks guys.

I have the Harbor Freight 21 Gallon, and I've had it going on 8 years I think? Just like anything else, make sure you maintain it. I check the oil before every use and change it at least once a season, drain the tank a few times a season, etc etc.