2019 Home Insurance Agents

dakotart

Bought a new car in 2018. My current Home and Auto policy (liberty mutual) was going to go way up so I switched insurance to Progressive and saved about $1500 on the car insurance and a few hundred on the home policy.

Progressive subbed out the home policy to a 3rd party who apparently didn't realize I live in the woods so they cancelled the policy. Progressive didn't even try to find a new home policy.

Found an agent who has been slow to respond, but did find another company who declined to renew because my wood burner did not have a UL sticker.

There are probably millions of homes in Ohio that have wood burners that don't have any issues getting home insurance.

I searched the forum, but the last thread was over a year old.

I'm in need of a new insurance company or agent who can deal with 1960's farm house in the woods.

What's the current recommended list?

I've used Oleda Hirsch at All-Ohio Insurance for years on my primary residence, and umbrella policies for rental properties. Had a fire in 2013 and Cincinnati Insurance didn't bat an eye at the costs associated with a 7-month rebuild.

Oleda's into horses so if they can't do a rural policy, I don't know who can. :)

https://insurance-agent.safeco.com/find-an-insurance-agency/app/agent/2205854

FYI, she's quoted me on my 16+ year Progressive auto policy numerous times, and can't beat my rate. I appreciate that she tries.

I've used Oleda Hirsch at All-Ohio Insurance for years on my primary residence, and umbrella policies for rental properties. Had a fire in 2013 and Cincinnati Insurance didn't bat an eye at the costs associated with a 7-month rebuild.

Oleda's into horses so if they can't do a rural policy, I don't know who can. :)

https://insurance-agent.safeco.com/find-an-insurance-agency/app/agent/2205854

FYI, she's quoted me on my 16+ year Progressive auto policy numerous times, and can't beat my rate. I appreciate that she tries.

Thanks, I'm not sure anyone is going to beat progressive Auto rates for me. I looked at 10+ companies before I switched and progressive was less than half of the next lowest quote.

Although, it still went up after the first 6 months even with an A rating using their snapshot device.

I've been with Dorsey Insurance for at least 15 or so years now. They're pretty good. Insurance right now is Hanover (home/auto bundle stuff). So far with our house fire they've been pretty good and car insurance has been good as well.

Dorsey works with like 7-8 different insurance companies to get the best rate. Worth a shot.

https://www.dorseyins.com/

My brother-in-law is a very successful State Farm agent in Huber Heights. Great guy and really easy to work with. He also used to cover the Buckeyes on the Buckeye Fever show. He does a TON for his community and personally went around to his customers' homes and took photos and spoke with them after the recent tornado.

https://www.statefarm.com/agent/us/oh/huber-heights/nathan-baker-w24jh765bgf

I just switched to Erie Insurance in March as they offered better coverage for less on both my cars and house. My parents have had Erie for years and they took care of my mom very well a few years ago when her roof failed and her house got flooded. My agent is John Kernan out of Powell. Couple guys I work with used him for years too.

I had liberty mutual for my house and progressive for my cars. About a year ago they raised the rate significantly like 3 or 4 hundred. For some reason allstate sent me a letter they could insure it for less than I was paying at liberty but I had to switch my cars to them. The car insurance was about the same as progressive but the motorcycle was much cheaper. No claims but Ive been happy with it other than you cant do much online you have to call a local agent.

I had liberty mutual for my house and progressive for my cars. About a year ago they raised the rate significantly like 3 or 4 hundred. For some reason allstate sent me a letter they could insure it for less than I was paying at liberty but I had to switch my cars to them. The car insurance was about the same as progressive but the motorcycle was much cheaper. No claims but Ive been happy with it other than you cant do much online you have to call a local agent.
Liberty mutual raised my home policy about 15-20% every year I have them. They wanted around $1800/year for my car and truck when I bought the new Civic. Progressive is $500/yr for same car and truck.

When you say out in the woods what was the exact reason for cancellation

The progressive contracted company listed about a dozen reasons such as "tree stumps" (should have left the dead trees standing so they could fall), "over grown vegetation" (I don't cut sections in the woods and fields), "trees branches over hanging house" (I cut the twigs off a Japanese maple to resolve) , "rust on barn and shed" (barn built in 1967 and a grain silo); etc.

They also said my porch needed a railing even though it was only 30" off the ground.

Most of the issues in my mind were easily fixable. i.e I put railings up in a week even though they are not required by law.

I recently switched from AmFam to Cinci. I got better coverage and saved enough to buy an umbrella policy. The coverage was better and cheaper than what I was quoted through Erie. We've had one claim and was happy with the service we received.

I'd highly suggest reaching out to Mark Goodwin with eGoodwin Insurance. He's an independent broker that runs between 12-14 companies and we refer business back and forth quite a bit! His service is impeccable and his products/price are usually the best!

His office line is 740.387.8335

-Marc