Detached Garage Debate

Sully

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a detached garage. Due to the area and space available, I can do a 24x30. I've been reading about metal vs wood. I don't know which route to go. I like the durability and easy installation of metal, but I also want to be able to work in the building in the winter time, which is where I think being able to insulate a wood building would be more beneficial. I'm not sure if a metal building can be insulated? And then what about hanging items on the wall, like a peg board, tools, etc. With a metal building there's nothing on the inside of the wall to hang stuff from, except steel posts. A wood building would be easy to insulate and hang drywall. Those of you that have detached garages/workshops, what kind do you have, and what do you like/dislike about it? What would you do differently if you could build a new one?

I have a detatched 24x24 block garage. Hanging things suck as I have to get a concrete bit for my drill and then concrete screws and such. The garage is a pile of shit and most likely I'm going to have it torn down and build a larger garage further back on the property in a few years. I'll most likely end up doing a wood framed garage then.

Why not have a metal skin outside on steel studs, have foam insulation sprayed, then hang peg board on the inside of the studs?

Steel studs are $$$$

Could always go metal siding on the wood frame, but at that point you would just be spending extra for the metal.

Only cost effectiveness of a metal building is its 'post and beam' sort of assembly....and you can get higher ceilings typically....bigger you go the most cost-effective metal is...

for 24x30, its likely wood is the answer

Steel studs are $$$$

Could always go metal siding on the wood frame, but at that point you would just be spending extra for the metal.

Only cost effectiveness of a metal building is its 'post and beam' sort of assembly....and you can get higher ceilings typically....bigger you go the most cost-effective metal is...

for 24x30, its likely wood is the answer

Well, given that it's a out/detached garage, which (for us) probably means lifts, wouldn't it be nice having 10ft walls instead of 8ft?

Well, given that it's a out/detached garage, which (for us) probably means lifts, wouldn't it be nice having 10ft walls instead of 8ft?
Mines being built next month with 12' lol. You'll want more than 10'.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Metal is cheaper to get size for an outbuilding. If you're going to "finish/insulate" the inside, you'll likely frame it out in wood anyway. Only other option would be to have the inside spray foamed.

Like Adam said, 24x30 would make sense in wood. Amish are building me a 28x30 for $16k, everything but the siding (I'm doing concrete siding), and the concrete floor. They'll have it done in 2 days.

I have a pole barn with metal siding. I studded and insulated the walls. Perfectly fine in the winter. Why not go that route

That's what I'm saying... my pole barn garage is completely comfortable in the winter time.

Ok, so I know I need to get a permit first, which I am working on. From there which would you typically do first, have the concrete poured, or build the building and then have the concrete poured afterwards? Does that depend on which type of building I go with?

I had an amish pole barn built at my last place...the two things you can't fix easily after the fact are ground floor ceiling height and the quality of the slab. I got the ceiling height right...not the slab. The company I hired subbed out the concrete work. Jokers came in from out of town site unseen...ordered concrete to be delivered late in the day...and asked me if I knew where they could rent equipment. It was 4 guys in a car with no tools whatsoever. Needless to say...my builder refunded 100% of the floor cost but I had a shitty slab the whole time I lived there.

I can't go too crazy with ceiling height due to zoning restrictions, but what would be a good ceiling height for a garage that will have a lift in it? Is 10 feet enough? I don't need to be able to stand under a vehicle, just enough height that I can work under it, even if that means sitting on a rolling shop stool.

Even if you are in a zoning district that maxes out at 15' as many do, you can probably put in an 11' wall with a low roof pitch. If it is a metal building, roof pitches can even be lower.

If you are wood framing, just vault it...with scissor trusses or is stick framing, instead of ceiling joists just use the collar ties.

I can't go too crazy with ceiling height due to zoning restrictions, but what would be a good ceiling height for a garage that will have a lift in it? Is 10 feet enough? I don't need to be able to stand under a vehicle, just enough height that I can work under it, even if that means sitting on a rolling shop stool.

10 is too short man... with a lift, you'll want 13-15 just think if you're truck is 6.5 foot tall by the time you deal with suspension travel and lift, you are only putting that thing 3 feet off the ground with a lift and that's not including if you have lights.... you're still laying on the ground so then what's the point of having a lift.

I went 12. Although it was a two story with a half-loft. So half the structure had 24' ceilings. I have an extra tall/long/wide 4-post lift. So I was able to put a crew cab 4x4 up all the way and couldn't even reach the undercarriage without lowering it some. Lots of room to spare. With that zoning restriction I would consider a shed roof. (like a flat roof but slightly sloped...1:12)

Sorry if hijacking, but looking for similar feedback...

I'm looking to build a roughly 30x26 garage front-load garage in Hilliard (HOA community) but needs to attach to my existing side-load garage and be "harmonious in design" with rest of house including hardie-board siding, brick, windows.

I've been in contact with Garage Guru's, Grand garages and pole-barns, and Franklin garage builders. Does anyone else have recommendations of someone I can contact to bid?

Looking for someone who can handle everything - drawings, electric, concrete (both pad & driveway modification), paint, underground drains, etc.

TIA