General Motors strike

Cordell

Do any GM Assembly Line workers make 6 figures? I highly doubt that.

so do they (that last link is really interesting):

When you factor in their GM covered retirement and GM covered beanies, absofreakinglutley.

Ok, let’s pose a hypothetical idea. Let’s say the UAW and GM parted ways and GM had to continue business as a non-union manufacturer. How long do you think it would take for GM to end up providing good pay and benefits to their employees (I mean assembly line employees) just so that they were competitive with similar jobs at other companies?.

Not even one freaking day.

I would even bet within 2 years over 50% of the work force would be the same guys that used to be in the union.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the techs getting dicked, this isn’t UAW’s fault, it’s GM’s fault and your fault for letting them walk all over you.

God forbid UAW asks for better wages and benefits right!

Shut the fuck up. Geeto makes better arguments then you. GM cutting warranty times doesn’t have anything directly related to the UAW strike. Go back to bitching about the little independent shop you work at giving you junk to work on, and how hard it is to make money. For fucks sake.

Everybody has their "stupid union" experience where some werid union rule and mgmt clash to create an issue. I used to have them to when I had to deal with the teamsters union for loading and unloading motorcycles into conventions centers for trade shows. It's easy to blame the union because they are "visible", it's some union guy there telling you or doing something that seems like nonsense, but often it's really management's fault for not scheduling something properly, or even worse, having a system that doesn't take in to account the rules the union AND management agreed to. I found out just by asking a few basic questions why it took 3 hours to get my booth power hooked up: mgmt double booked the guy assigned to me and shorted the time needed to do the job (gave a complex AV hookup the same amount of time installing a power strip in a locked floor outlet). Honestly, I find management more at fault for these inefficient examples because they had the rules in advance, and the time to review and fix it and often they didn't.

When you factor in their GM covered retirement and GM covered beanies, absofreakinglutley.

I dunno, I would need to see the math on that - some actual proof. The median assembly line yearly salary is around $30K, even with retirement and whatever the hell beanies are I don't see that suddenly making up $70K.

I found out just by asking a few basic questions why it took 3 hours to get my booth power hooked up: mgmt double booked the guy assigned to me and shorted the time needed to do the job (gave a complex AV hookup the same amount of time installing a power strip in a locked floor outlet). Honestly, I find management more at fault for these inefficient examples because they had the rules in advance, and the time to review and fix it and often they didn't.

Why do I need a union electrician to hook up a computer or plug in a power strip? I'm more than willing to give the guys their due when it comes to making sure a 13kV elbow is assembled correctly, or the 480V 3000A line that carries an arc flash rating of "We'll be lucky to find your charred remains" is correctly terminated, but when someone can't get their job done because "rules" say they're not allowed to touch something they brought from home? Bullshit.

Shut the fuck up. Geeto makes better arguments then you. GM cutting warranty times doesn’t have anything directly related to the UAW strike. Go back to bitching about the little independent shop you work at giving you junk to work on, and how hard it is to make money. For fucks sake.

Dont be a salty ass bitch towards me because you get paid .2 to do a job that takes you 1.5

You bitch about EVERYTHING in your life and do nothing to fix shit.

If you don't like being a GM tech then move on.

If you don't like working on cars then move on.

I would seriously kill myself if I was 40+ and not own my own shop

Secondly, even if it is junk guess what, it only makes me a better tech and more prepared for when I do go open up my own shop. So yeah, it does suck ass, but getting burnt one or two times on the same job is better than bending over for Mary Barra or whatever he name is to put a strap on around her waist and railing me daily.

Edited by Geeesammy

Dont be a salty ass bitch towards me because you get paid .2 to do a job that takes you 1.5

You bitch about EVERYTHING in your life and do nothing to fix shit.

If you don't like being a GM tech then move on.

If you don't like working on cars then move on.

I would seriously kill myself if I was 40+ and not own my own shop

Hilarious.

First of all I still make time on 90% of the jobs I do.

Second, I don’t bitch about everything, and all you’re doing with that statement is being a hypocrite.

Third I’m good at my job and have no reason to do something else.

And lastly, I’m 38 not 40+. Do you have any close friends who run their own business? That isn’t for me, maybe it’s for you, but I’d rather enjoy my life outside of work hours and not invest countless hours making a business run. I’m perfectly content staying on top of the latest and greatest GM products, and letting others worry about the rest. Maybe you need to go down that road before you can appreciate my point of view but I don’t need it.

I dunno, I would need to see the math on that - some actual proof. The median assembly line yearly salary is around $30K, even with retirement and whatever the hell beanies are I don't see that suddenly making up $70K.

Please cite your source.

I had a friend that started a design job at a union. He walked into his office on the first day and his computer was sitting there not hooked up. So he started to put it together, someone let him know he can't do that.

He sat there for 3 weeks waiting on someone to plug his computer in.

Efficiency FTW!

When I worked on the railroad (union) I wasn't allowed to throw away my own trash after reaching our destination because that was somebody else's job.

Why do I need a union electrician to hook up a computer or plug in a power strip? I'm more than willing to give the guys their due when it comes to making sure a 13kV elbow is assembled correctly, or the 480V 3000A line that carries an arc flash rating of "We'll be lucky to find your charred remains" is correctly terminated, but when someone can't get their job done because "rules" say they're not allowed to touch something they brought from home? Bullshit.

When I worked on the railroad (union) I wasn't allowed to throw away my own trash after reaching our destination because that was somebody else's job.

yeah I know the optics of it don't look good but a couple of things:

- sometimes these things aren't dictated by the union, sometimes they are the product of the insurance policy that the company has on the facility. Is it overkill? yes it is, but keep in mind for every guy that thinks it's stupid that the union electrician has to plug in his brought from home pencil sharpener, historically there is an office fire that was caused by some employee being careless with what and how much he plugs in at his desk.

- part of defining roles in a union contract is so that management can't do defacto layoffs by transferring roles to other employees in other departments until a department or whole swaths of a workforce are eliminated. Or in other instances setting up individual employees to fail by pulling them off their usual work detail to do other tasks they aren't assigned or trained to do and then firing them when they fail at that other task. Does it sound nitpicky? yes, and maybe if large employers didn't have a history of abusing the workforce by doing sneaky shitty things like this (and we aren't even going to talk about how these techniques were used to often promote racial or gender discrimination in employment - which they were for a long time) then maybe these lines of demarcation wouldn't be necessary.

Well you’re already failing at this. A real man wouldn’t care where it was posted.

Did you really just define part of being a real man as posting where they want to? Is your next standard whether or not a real man has the balls to order a double shot at starbucks......

Thanks for helping me practice my scrolling ShowHBK. I can just picture you in a cubicle laughing quietly to yourself because you think it would be cool to be Geeto. Well you are successfully his nutswinger, congratulations.

Did you really just define part of being a real man as posting where they want to? Is your next standard whether or not a real man has the balls to order a double shot at starbucks......

Real men don’t go to starbucks.

Thanks for helping me practice my scrolling ShowHBK. I can just picture you in a cubicle laughing quietly to yourself because you think it would be cool to be Geeto. Well you are successfully his nutswinger, congratulations.

Had to google what a nutswinger is... never been called that before. I am disappointed that you did not see my connections between Kerry's posts and the works of Aravind Adiga.

Oh, and yes... I am snickering and laughing quite a bit ^_^

One thing to note, is that at this point I am unable to distinguish Kerry's posts from the works of Aravind Adiga... which is why I feel like I need to fully understand where someone is coming from, but understanding the mindset of Aravind Adiga.

you are comparing me to a celebrated writer, novelist, and journalist so.....thank you? I guess?

you are comparing me to a celebrated writer, novelist, and journalist so.....thank you? I guess?

You are very welcome ^_^

I have no idea who the person is anyways. Good book doe... Dude bro takes the fall for some rich guys murder. Dude bro lives in the underground for a while. Good read... Perfectly relates to the GM Strike IMO

yeah I know the optics of it don't look good but a couple of things:

- sometimes these things aren't dictated by the union, sometimes they are the product of the insurance policy that the company has on the facility. Is it overkill? yes it is, but keep in mind for every guy that thinks it's stupid that the union electrician has to plug in his brought from home pencil sharpener, historically there is an office fire that was caused by some employee being careless with what and how much he plugs in at his desk.

- part of defining roles in a union contract is so that management can't do defacto layoffs by transferring roles to other employees in other departments until a department or whole swaths of a workforce are eliminated. Or in other instances setting up individual employees to fail by pulling them off their usual work detail to do other tasks they aren't assigned or trained to do and then firing them when they fail at that other task. Does it sound nitpicky? yes, and maybe if large employers didn't have a history of abusing the workforce by doing sneaky shitty things like this (and we aren't even going to talk about how these techniques were used to often promote racial or gender discrimination in employment - which they were for a long time) then maybe these lines of demarcation wouldn't be necessary.

Fuck optics. You tell me how some 18 year old apprentice is more qualified to plug in my pencil sharpener when I've been around over twice as long. What the hell kind of insurance policy dictates that you have to be union in order to connect a computer, and what business owner in their right mind would accede to such limitations? No. Either find a better argument, or admit that this level of ass-hattery is simply indefensible.

As for role definition, again... there's a difference between abusing classifications and setting people up to fail, versus just being pedantic. Not being allowed to throw out your own trash? My parents made me do that by the time I was three years old. That some union boss is going to come over and bitch me out, claiming I'm taking someone else's job away by not being a slob, is beyond ludicrous. There are legitimate reason for unions, but defending simple manners and cleanliness is not one of them.

Fuck optics. You tell me how some 18 year old apprentice is more qualified to plug in my pencil sharpener when I've been around over twice as long. What the hell kind of insurance policy dictates that you have to be union in order to connect a computer, and what business owner in their right mind would accede to such limitations? No. Either find a better argument, or admit that this level of ass-hattery is simply indefensible.

As for role definition, again... there's a difference between abusing classifications and setting people up to fail, versus just being pedantic. Not being allowed to throw out your own trash? My parents made me do that by the time I was three years old. That some union boss is going to come over and bitch me out, claiming I'm taking someone else's job away by not being a slob, is beyond ludicrous. There are legitimate reason for unions, but defending simple manners and cleanliness is not one of them.

Unions are around to defend the indefensible and protect idiots through "justifcation"

When I worked at Disney one of the union reps threatened me because I wouldn't change my story for an incident report. The union worker fucked up and got himself and another person hurt in the kitchen, its not my job to protect them.

Told my manager about it and he in a round about way said there was nothing he could do "because of the union and what they do".

I get that some workers might need protections from these big scary companies. How about if the company sucks you don't work for them? I know that is personal accountability and all, but I've left jobs that sucked when they did shady stuff and I didn't die....