Facebook doubling acreage in New Albany

zeitgeist57

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/10/21/facebook-more-than-doubles-acreage-of-new-albany.html?ana=e_du_prem&j=84563871&t=Afternoon&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTmpNMVpUWXpZak5tTkRBdyIsInQiOiI4UzIzRmtsYWVCU1pGeTdINk1SdVZtR0NMQ3cyd1plTHhsMEVMOCtHSlNPVko5VXFMVWFXZUJpdVZYV3pXa0VST2FkOEhqeDdibTgrbTZjMXM2R2g1VWZuRFBKSmxOUmhsS1A1UnozeEFuNjVGS2I3U2s4MDZsZCtDeWpJaU1lMyJ9

By Carrie Ghose

– Staff reporter, Columbus Business First

Oct 21, 2019, 2:57pm EDT

Updated Oct 21, 2019, 3:25pm EDT

Facebook Inc. has more than doubled its land holdings in New Albany since announcing in April it would add a third data center to its complex.

Sidecat LLC, Facebook's real estate affiliate, bought 414.5 acres for $51 million from New Albany Company in two parcels, to the east of its existing site in May and to the south last month, property records show. It had purchased 325 acres for $38.8 million for the first three buildings.

The first two were projected to cost $750 million to build; a cost estimate for the third has not been released. The first building is expected to open this year and construction on the second started in March. The state approved $37 million in tax incentives for the first phase.

"We occasionally purchase available land in the event that our future business needs may require it," a spokeswoman said via email. "We currently have no plans to build on this (additional) land.”

New Albany development officials were traveling Monday and not available for comment.

Facebook's four operating data farms – in Iowa, North Carolina, Oregon and Texas – have spent about $4.2 billion in 2010-16, $3.4 billion of that on construction and other capital costs, according to a report the social network commissioned from RTI International. Once operational, each center employs nearly 200, the report said.

At its Fort Worth, Texas, data farm, Facebook (Nasdaq: FB) last year announced plans for fourth and fifth buildings as it was wrapping up construction of the third.

Besides Central Ohio, Facebook data farms are under construction in New Mexico, Nebraska and Virginia.

New Albany has attracted three tech giants to build data farms on land that used to grow crops, starting with Amazon.com Inc. four years ago. Google is building a $1 billion data center across Beech Road in New Albany.

Amazon paid a premium of $190,000 per acre to New Albany Company in 2014, and Google $124,000 an acre. Facebook's first two parcels averaged $119,000 an acre and the most recent two $123,000. The asking price in that sector of the New Albany International Business Park south of Rte. 161 is $145,000 to $200,000 per acre, according to the city website.

The numbers around setting up these data farms are absolutely staggering...to speak not just of the $51MM in land around their New Albany site they bought just to hold onto it in case-ies.:lol:

We all live on FB - even if you don't post, you've probably signed into apps and websites with your FB profile, or at least liked posts...or shopped online through retailers that rely on FB data metrics - so we're beyond berating the beast at this point. Just amazes me that we're "producing" so much data, that they need $4.2 BILLION in construction and they're still building data farms.

"Hey...you're breaking up. Yeah, I'm driving down Beech Road and the high-tension wires are interfering with my cell. Yup, I can hear the buzzing too. My head kinda hurts..."

I'm trying to get in to any of the data centers over there, since I live on the edge of Westerville and New Albany. Need to pick up a few more skill sets.

I know someone that works there, they aren't highly staffed because of the impressive level of automation that happens in their facilities.

I know someone that works there, they aren't highly staffed because of the impressive level of automation that happens in their facilities.

That was my understanding as well. For a huge, HUGE facility...less than 200 employees and mostly in security and maintenance.

They suck down a phenomenal amount of electricity, from the local infrastructure load standpoint.

Thats a metric shit load of land for a data center...

But data? You really wanna shit your pants? Here is a link to download all of the Data that google has on you and what its algorithms use to learn about you. I did it a few months ago and saw everything you would expect. Internet history, links I clicked on years ago, every photo on my account (including ones I deleted), and even text messages send on my Android phone. It takes a few days for the system to prepare the data file for you, but interesting to those who wanna know.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/3024190?hl=en

Just remember folks... it's not just FB who is collecting all your shit. They are just the worst at keeping it locked up.