RIP To Automotive Print Media

wagner

A lot of us knew it was coming, it was just a matter of when the axe was going to fall. The stories I've hears about Source/TEN this doesn't shock me at all. They've struggled with digital as well so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Dave Freiburger: Today is a day we’ve all dreaded. With the exception of Motor Trend, Hot Rod, and Four Wheeler, TEN Publishing will cease the print products of its magazine brands. These titles will continue as web sites and social media accounts, and the editors may keep their jobs to continue with that content. As a lifelong fan of print who made his career as a magazine editor, this is a devastating heartbreak of a day—but not a surprise. 19 magazines will stop being printed. I am impressed at the offers that Discovery has made to the remaining magazine editors, as this closure of print was not a decision made by Discovery.

Did they say what will happen to the subscribers? I have been a long time Car Craft subscriber and just renewed for another 2 years not that long ago.

I was sad to see Popular Hot Rodding go, and now car craft, it's a bummer for sure.

Did they say what will happen to the subscribers? I have been a long time Car Craft subscriber and just renewed for another 2 years not that long ago.

I was sad to see Popular Hot Rodding go, and now car craft, it's a bummer for sure.

I'm guessing they will stick you with a subscription to either Hot Rod or Motortrend. When they screwed everyone before that's what they did.

Sign of the times. Remember the thread about selling vehicles once CL started charging $5? Folks recommended FBM, bring a trailer, etc, but notice nobody mentioned Auto Trader. When was the last time any of us grabbed one of those at a gas station? Edited by Otis Nice

Sign of the times. Remember the thread about selling vehicles once CL started charging $5? Folks recommended FBM, bring a trailer, et, but notice nobody mentioned Auto Trader. When was the last time any of us grabbed one of those at a gas station?

That’s so true I would get them all the time and as a kid get trading times

• 2 weeks later...

From what I heard this weekend it's not a good situation over there at TEN at all. It sounds like there are going to be a lot of cuts and other changes.

The other thing I found out is that each magazine won't be getting its own website, everything is going to get run through the " Hot Rod Mega-Site".

Here’s a full list of discontinued titles:

4-Wheel & Off-Road

Automobile

Car Craft

Chevy High Performance

Classic Trucks 

Diesel Power

Hot Rod Deluxe 

Jp

Lowrider

Mopar Muscle

Muscle Car Review

Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords

Mustang Monthly

Street Rodder

Super Chevy 

Super Street

Truck Trend 

Truckin’

Vette

Sad to see. I used to get a lot of car mags and especially liked GM High Tech Performance and Car Craft. But I admit that I got away from them, too, as instant gratification came more and more on the internet. I've been on various car forums since the mid to late 90's, also.

Looks like us car guys will be forced to “walk the desert” for the next few years until we remember that original content and even ads are valuable to our hobby.

Tough to see the pendulum swing so far to one side on this.

There will still be plenty of digital content, just no print, and I think you'll see TEN die eventually.