Ryzen 9 3900X Build-Need advice

ODoyle

I am doing a Ryzen 3900X build and plan to use a loose representation of the following list. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MHkqHB

Does anyone know for sure that the E-ATX board will fit in that case? I have read mixed reviews that it will/wont? I thought all E-ATX stuff was the same.

Also, any advice on other components is appreciated as well!

This is a gaming (WoW, GTA5, Battlefield and maybe The Witcher) plus my wifes Photoshop/Lightroom PC if it helps.

Edited by O'Doyle

No idea on the case as ive never heard of that brand but there is no need for a 1500w PSU in that computer. You need like a 750w max.

Also you should probably go with a m2 SSD rather then the 2.5 and take advantage of the m2 slots on that motherboard.

IMO there are quite a few components in that that are way over kill.

No idea on the case as ive never heard of that brand but there is no need for a 1500w PSU in that computer. You need like a 750w max.

Also you should probably go with a m2 SSD rather then the 2.5 and take advantage of the m2 slots on that motherboard.

IMO there are quite a few components in that that are way over kill.

I'm trying to build something that is future proof or at least going to be competitive/upgradable for the next 5-7 years.

What else do you see as overkill? The board I only picked due to the MSI Gaming Carbon Pro having not so hot reviews.

I think the motherboard is definitely overkill. AM4 is only going to be supported for one more year before it is replaced with what will likely be called AM5. I would get a cheaper X570/X470 or if it were me I wouldn't even bother and I would get a B series motherboard for $100 or less. I would take the money you save and put it in to getting a better graphics card.

When it comes to memory, I always buy cheaper memory because the modules themselves are all made by the same handful of Taiwanese or Korean companies. In a way, memory is memory.

I also would never pay retail for Windows 10, when you can get grey market keys for $15-$30 or if you have an old Windows 7 PC laying around with a product key sticker on the side, it will activate Windows 10 as well.

Like Pakie said, the PSU is definitely overkill, especially since power consumption is trending downwards for PCs. Moreover, buying a PSU where you won't be operating in it's efficiency range could be in extreme cases harmful to your other components. Its rare, but happens.

I would also ditch the 2 tb spinning drive and get a cheaper 2tb SSD. The Samsungs are bulletproof reliable, so those ones I wouldn't change other than maybe getting their M.2 NVME variants.

There is certainly no harm in spending lots of money on your setup if you can afford it, but I have always allocated my budget for PC builds where they will do the most tangible good.

I think the motherboard is definitely overkill. AM4 is only going to be supported for one more year before it is replaced with what will likely be called AM5. I would get a cheaper X570/X470 or if it were me I wouldn't even bother and I would get a B series motherboard for $100 or less. I would take the money you save and put it in to getting a better graphics card.

When it comes to memory, I always buy cheaper memory because the modules themselves are all made by the same handful of Taiwanese or Korean companies. In a way, memory is memory.

I also would never pay retail for Windows 10, when you can get grey market keys for $15-$30 or if you have an old Windows 7 PC laying around with a product key sticker on the side, it will activate Windows 10 as well.

Like Pakie said, the PSU is definitely overkill, especially since power consumption is trending downwards for PCs. Moreover, buying a PSU where you won't be operating in it's efficiency range could be in extreme cases harmful to your other components. Its rare, but happens.

I would also ditch the 2 tb spinning drive and get a cheaper 2tb SSD. The Samsungs are bulletproof reliable, so those ones I wouldn't change other than maybe getting their M.2 NVME variants.

There is certainly no harm in spending lots of money on your setup if you can afford it, but I have always allocated my budget for PC builds where they will do the most tangible good.

agree with pat on the performance spinning HDD. I assume you need this for storage so if thats the case get a basic spinning HDD. You can get a 7200rpm 2 tb for $40 ish.

I assume you are getting two of the same M2 to do a raid 0 on them so you should be fine performance wise, motherboard is way overkill, drop the PSU to 750w and get a modular one instead, cheaper memory unless you are getting it for pure looks. use the money saved in other areas and get a better GPU IMO.

agree with pat on the performance spinning HDD. I assume you need this for storage so if thats the case get a basic spinning HDD. You can get a 7200rpm 2 tb for $40 ish.

I assume you are getting two of the same M2 to do a raid 0 on them so you should be fine performance wise, motherboard is way overkill, drop the PSU to 750w and get a modular one instead, cheaper memory unless you are getting it for pure looks. use the money saved in other areas and get a better GPU IMO.

Thank you for the advice!

The I'll switch up the spinning drive, they are just for storage. The two identical drives were thought to be ran in a RAID 0 format with all data on the spinning drive. The RAM was just for looks as it matched the rest of the case aesthetics.

This is the alternate MoBo I think I will use-https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813144260?Item=N82E16813144260&Tpk=N82E16813144260