Disabling OnStar?

zeitgeist57

My wife’s friend is in a tough situation with a controlling husband...I don’t want to get into it, but wifey wanted me to ask the hive mind of CR:

2016 GMC Yukon Denali - if someone is paying for OnStar, but they don’t want to be tracked by the system, is there a fuse or unit that can be disconnected without affecting other functions of operating the vehicle? Is this something a dealer can do, or DIY?

From previous topics on the Silverado forum, be careful pulling fuses. I guess the OnStar fuse affects airbags and some other features.

The fix I've seen for cutting OnStar communication/tracking is to remove the cellular card from the OnStar box beside the headunit. Supposedly pretty easy. Lots of YouTube videos and write ups.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks, guys. I saw a YT vid on disabling OnStar on a 2014+ Silverado. CLOSE ENOUGH. Sent it to my wife and I'm out.

Tough situation for this woman, and yes your thoughts are same as mine: cooky husband is going to figure something out when his tracking system stops working. I'm not getting involved in this domestic issue.

clay I am sorry that your friend is going through this. Unfortunately getting rid of OnStar isn't going to fix her being tracked, not trusted, or a broken relationship when it reaches that point. Unfortunately I have had to help agents on my former teams in similar situations and every time it ended in a bitter divorce. I wish your friend the best and hope they stay safe.

Thanks, guys. I saw a YT vid on disabling OnStar on a 2014+ Silverado. CLOSE ENOUGH. Sent it to my wife and I'm out.

Tough situation for this woman, and yes your thoughts are same as mine: cooky husband is going to figure something out when his tracking system stops working. I'm not getting involved in this domestic issue.

go rent a silverado from home depot and put the sim card in it

• 2 weeks later...